Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unidirectional Tyre on Spare Wheel - a 50/50 Gamble!

• Thread starter wilburthewombat
  • Start date
wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I specced Goodyear Vector Four Seasons (235 55 R17 103H) tyres on my 2020 T6.1, and also opted for the same tyre and alloy wheel as the spare.
After kerbing the nearside rear wheel last week and knackering the tyre, I swapped it out for the spare. I now realise that these tyres are unidirectional, including the spare, so it was a 50/50 toss whether the spare would have the right rotation. This time I'm lucky, but the next time the spare (if it's fitted with the same rotation as the original) gets used, and if it's used to replace an offside wheel, it will have the wrong rotation.

As far as I can tell then this is OK as long as I consider it to be a 'temporary' spare, i.e. limit to sensible speed, replace with correct rotation asap.

Has anybody else come across this problem? I'm a bit annoyed this was not made clear to me by the VW configurator or Lancashire VW who sold it to me.

I specced Goodyear Vector Four Seasons (235 55 R17 103H) tyres on my 2020 T6.1, and also opted for the same tyre and alloy wheel as the spare.
After kerbing the nearside rear wheel last week and knackering the tyre, I swapped it out for the spare. I now realise that these tyres are unidirectional, including the spare, so it was a 50/50 toss whether the spare would have the right rotation. This time I'm lucky, but the next time the spare (if it's fitted with the same rotation as the original) gets used, and if it's used to replace an offside wheel, it will have the wrong rotation.

As far as I can tell then this is OK as long as I consider it to be a 'temporary' spare, i.e. limit to sensible speed, replace with correct rotation asap.

Has anybody else come across this problem? I'm a bit annoyed this was not made clear to me by the VW configurator or Lancashire VW who sold it to me.
Actually I didn't spec the tyre itself, just that it was to be 4 seasons. Otherwise I would have known it was unidirectional.

Yes - I had mine specced new ‘from factory’ and then a VW garage gave me an advisory at MoT about it :) .
I don’t mind as long as you know to take it easy if you need to use it the wrong way round. Better than gunk or a space saver etc.

I agree - treat it like a space saver & you should be fine.

Having said that if you are miles from home, it shouldn't be too hard to find a tyre place just to turn the tyre round, certainly easier than finding somewhere with a matching tyre in stock.

I am assuming they are just directional not asymmetric as well?

Yes I have the same. It didn't occur to me when I bought 5 all seasons to replace the factory fitted tires that I could have kept the spare from the factory, so I now also have a directional tire as a spare.
I don't even get to be annoyed at the dealer because I did it all by myself.

I agree - treat it like a space saver & you should be fine.

Having said that if you are miles from home, it shouldn't be too hard to find a tyre place just to turn the tyre round, certainly easier than finding somewhere with a matching tyre in stock.

I am assuming they are just directional not asymmetric as well?
Yes, symmetrical.

Back