Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top covers - easiest to install and store

• Thread starter This_one_goes_to_eleven
  • Start date
ASSUME! My bellows leak but I’m giving them a chance to shrink before making a fuss. TBH I am not sure this forum makes a jot of difference to what VW do or don’t do. We have a pop top cover wish we’d brought it and should have brought it this trip - wet wet wet.
Yes, I have mid dec 04S bellows and they have leaked. Not terribly as yet, but they have leaked non the less.

I know it doesn’t answer the question you’ve asked about bellow covers however with regards to the bellows.
We have Feb 04S bellows on an Ocean we collected just over 3 weeks ago
Been away for a few nights now in varying conditions from drizzle through to very heavy rain, light winds to gales and touch wood no leaks as yet

We use a Comfortz rootless topper, easy to fit, allows us to have the roof bars / roof box on if we need it.

Essential kit for winter camping.

20200310_155213.jpg

We use a Comfortz rootless topper, easy to fit, allows us to have the roof bars / roof box on if we need it.

Essential kit for winter camping.

View attachment 120719
amazing!.., where was this taken and were you living in the van?.. whats the timber outbuilding?

View attachment 120603
We have the Comfortz wrap from the Club Shop. It literally takes 5 minutes to put up and take down. I’m 6’1 so makes it a bit easier. My wife is 5’3 and would definitely struggle on her own. We’ve also bought one of those little fold out steps and this helps a lot. The wraps are great. Totally blackout when sleeping up top. Warmer, quieter and a lot less condensation. These ones are a little on the bulky side though but never had a problem storing it and there are 4 of us. Usually just throw it on the rear shelf with the bedding. Even without Bellowsgate I would have one. We’ve had some horrendous rain on our travels over winter and the canvas has remained bone dry every time. Well worth the investment in my opinion.
We have the Rainbow poptop cover that looks identical to the Comfortz wrap, even the same colour. If we are going anywhere cold (e.g. Shetland during the summer) we would take our cover and it sits on the back shelf. Challenging to install if less than 6' but we use a step - doesn't take long to put up. In Shetland it also acted as blackout for the light nights. If it is windy it can be a challenge to take down and fold, however, overall an excellent bit of kit and we would thoroughly recommend.

i dont know if they fit in the rear door, but I can say the pucerscreen is awesome. Very lightweight and takes up minimal room stored lengthways across the rear shelf. Very easy to put up and bought for this very reason (bellowsgate). Used it last week.
I completely agree. Although the Pucer screen won't fold to fit in the chair compartment it is very light and fits very comfortably in it's waterproof bag immediately behind the rear seats, held in place by all your other parcel shelf luggage. And it's a doddle to install and remove.

amazing!.., where was this taken and were you living in the van?.. whats the timber outbuilding?
Yes we were, Pettnau near At Anton, amazing campsite, the tinder buildings are what they call a wash house, each pitch has it's own. Fully heated with toilet, walk in shower, storage and drying.

There is a spa at the campsite entrance with sauna and full size swimming pool.

Ski bus stops at the campsite entrance

I’ve got one of the comfortz toppers and loved using it in Scotland and Norway etc. However, since adding a ‘Roger’ solar panel I haven’t used it. I was planning to sell it. But, you’ve made me think that if a version of this type of topper is being sold for use with solar panels it can’t be much more than what I have with a hole cut out. Is this right? If so, I have a sharp Stanley knife and a ‘can do’ attitude. Do you think that this would work?
Hi Acer - I don't think it would work, as the roofless versions are cleverly designed to run the water away off the van. Although appealing to use a Stanley knife I think you could end up flooded!!

I’ve got one of the comfortz toppers and loved using it in Scotland and Norway etc. However, since adding a ‘Roger’ solar panel I haven’t used it. I was planning to sell it. But, you’ve made me think that if a version of this type of topper is being sold for use with solar panels it can’t be much more than what I have with a hole cut out. Is this right? If so, I have a sharp Stanley knife and a ‘can do’ attitude. Do you think that this would work?
Yes. I think the Comfortz topper for Solar panels had no roof section just 1 or 2 cross straps. Tom @Amarillo has/had one.. Putting the topper on and marking the solar panel position and cutting out that section should work fine. Make hole 1" bigger than panel. You will get some water dribbling down between bellows and topper at the rear but the topper should provide as much protection as a bellows wrap does.

Yes we were, Pettnau near At Anton, amazing campsite, the tinder buildings are what they call a wash house, each pitch has it's own. Fully heated with toilet, walk in shower, storage and drying.

There is a spa at the campsite entrance with sauna and full size swimming pool.

Ski bus stops at the campsite entrance
That sounds ideal. Would you be able to put a link to this campsite please? Thanks

Yes. I think the Comfortz topper for Solar panels had no roof section just 1 or 2 cross straps. Tom @Amarillo has/had one.. Putting the topper on and marking the solar panel position and cutting out that section should work fine. Make hole 1" bigger than panel. You will get some water dribbling down between bellows and topper at the rear but the topper should provide as much protection as a bellows wrap does.
There are two cross ties, made from bungie type material with hooks on the end, I have found the topper works perfectly well without using them.

I sent an email to Comfortz and they said they no longer produce the Roofless Cali Topper unfortunately. The only UK roofless version I can see is the Vanorak.

I sent an email to Comfortz and they said they no longer produce the Roofless Cali Topper unfortunately. The only UK roofless version I can see is the Vanorak.
I emailed them as well, they said the Call Wrap was their alternative to the rootless topper but I think the topper is much better for poor weather especially winter use where the external topper protects the roof mechanism and closure area from snow build up.

It also allows good ventilation from the bellows vents, without a draft lol.

I emailed them as well, they said the Call Wrap was their alternative to the rootless topper but I think the topper is much better for poor weather especially winter use where the external topper protects the roof mechanism and closure area from snow build up.

It also allows good ventilation from the bellows vents, without a draft lol.
TheComfortz wrap will go over the mechanism if you want it to, see picture of mine, I did it when I knew snow was forecast.

IMG_0654.jpeg

There are two cross ties, made from bungie type material with hooks on the end, I have found the topper works perfectly well without using them.

Using the bungees on windy nights very significantly reduces flap.

In fine weather they are a bit pointless.

Back