Pop top covers - easiest to install and store

• Thread starter This_one_goes_to_eleven
  • Start date
T

This_one_goes_to_eleven

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Which of the pop top covers out there would fit in the storage with the seats in rear door in a T6.1, any at all?

Currently in bellowsgate. Still ..

A great question and as a newbie I am watching with interest.

I am fast reaching the conclusion that short of rejecting the van completely, a pop top cover will be the best short term solution to bellowsgate.

I have little hope that VW can sort it any time soon.

i dont know if they fit in the rear door, but I can say the pucerscreen is awesome. Very lightweight and takes up minimal room stored lengthways across the rear shelf. Very easy to put up and bought for this very reason (bellowsgate). Used it last week.

I think the purcer screen is an essential bit of kit. Not worried about bellowsgate since picking up my Cali last September. Very quick to install and a good idea even if you weren’t worried about leaking bellows (the extra insulation and sound proofing is worth a tiny bit of extra setup time and slightly more stuff to store). Particularly like the fact that the bellows always goes away dry and the purcer screen takes seconds to dry when get home.

I’m sure someone will jump on this but the lack of recent posts on bellows leaks speaks volumes and tells us it’s more or less fixed once you swap to the “fixed” version. Given responders here have vans not yet built it is safe to safe they will be fine.

For the OP. Most covers worth their salt (we have the Rainbow ones) are too big to go in seats.

Which of the pop top covers out there would fit in the storage with the seats in rear door in a T6.1, any at all?

Easy to fit, even by 1 person. Totally waterproof. Stores in tailgate chair in its own waterproof bag.

IMG_8162.jpeg
We have the Comfortz wrap from the Club Shop. It literally takes 5 minutes to put up and take down. I’m 6’1 so makes it a bit easier. My wife is 5’3 and would definitely struggle on her own. We’ve also bought one of those little fold out steps and this helps a lot. The wraps are great. Totally blackout when sleeping up top. Warmer, quieter and a lot less condensation. These ones are a little on the bulky side though but never had a problem storing it and there are 4 of us. Usually just throw it on the rear shelf with the bedding. Even without Bellowsgate I would have one. We’ve had some horrendous rain on our travels over winter and the canvas has remained bone dry every time. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm interested in some extra insulation for the pop top to keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. There is the Brandrup one that is permanently fixed on the inside, which I like the idea of as you don't have to pack away a wet cover. Or is the external one better? What are the thoughts of the good people of the California Club?

I'm interested in some extra insulation for the pop top to keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. There is the Brandrup one that is permanently fixed on the inside, which I like the idea of as you don't have to pack away a wet cover. Or is the external one better? What are the thoughts of the good people of the California Club?
Both types work well with regards to insulation, BUT if you have problems drying the roof bellows, before closing and storage, eg: no off street parking to raise roof to dry, then I would go with the external.

Ive asked this question too (and many others). The answer is divided and for different reasons.

For me, I chose outside because the latest bellows are now double skinned. I wondered if the brandrup was designed to provide a second skin for the older designs and therefore now somewhat redundant and that considering the roof cavity was already very tight (nothing to be left on the bed when closing) adding yet more fabric inside the roof could lead to problems, if not now in the future.

Ive asked this question too (and many others). The answer is divided and for different reasons.

For me, I chose outside because the latest bellows are now double skinned. I wondered if the brandrup was designed to provide a second skin for the older designs and therefore now somewhat redundant and that considering the roof cavity was already very tight (nothing to be left on the bed when closing) adding yet more fabric inside the roof could lead to problems, if not now in the future.
Agree with this. Technically the new double skin should do away with the need for the Brandrup inner. Even an outer if they worked properly.

Do many folks use tge Comfortz Cali - wrap rather than the topper?

We've got a couple of options. We have a German topper which is very good and a Rainbow screen wrap for colder periods % festivals
View attachment 120603
We have the Comfortz wrap from the Club Shop. It literally takes 5 minutes to put up and take down. I’m 6’1 so makes it a bit easier. My wife is 5’3 and would definitely struggle on her own. We’ve also bought one of those little fold out steps and this helps a lot. The wraps are great. Totally blackout when sleeping up top. Warmer, quieter and a lot less condensation. These ones are a little on the bulky side though but never had a problem storing it and there are 4 of us. Usually just throw it on the rear shelf with the bedding. Even without Bellowsgate I would have one. We’ve had some horrendous rain on our travels over winter and the canvas has remained bone dry every time. Well worth the investment in my opinion.
I don't suppose you happen to know how the size of the Cali Wrap compares to the the Rainbow Screens version when packed? We currently have a topper which fits in the tailgate and a Rainbow Screen roof cover for colder periods.
The Rainbow Screen is very effecive, but a bit bulky and doesn't have side vents or opening front windows. I'm now pondering the Cali Wrap as an alternative as I understand it has the option of adding side vents and opening the front velcro fastenings to make use of the panoramic front window. Do you (or anybody else reading this) know is the Cali-Wrap packs down any smaller than the Rainbow Screen, or if it's very similar? I'm wondering if it's worth the cost of upgrade - or if Rainbiw to Cali-Wrap would be an upgrade?

Do many folks use tge Comfortz Cali - wrap rather than the topper?

We've got a couple of options. We have a German topper which is very good and a Rainbow screen wrap for colder periods % festivals

I don't suppose you happen to know how the size of the Cali Wrap compares to the the Rainbow Screens version when packed? We currently have a topper which fits in the tailgate and a Rainbow Screen roof cover for colder periods.
The Rainbow Screen is very effecive, but a bit bulky and doesn't have side vents or opening front windows. I'm now pondering the Cali Wrap as an alternative as I understand it has the option of adding side vents and opening the front velcro fastenings to make use of the panoramic front window. Do you (or anybody else reading this) know is the Cali-Wrap packs down any smaller than the Rainbow Screen, or if it's very similar? I'm wondering if it's worth the cost of upgrade - or if Rainbiw to Cali-Wrap would be an upgrade?
I’m pretty sure they are a similar size when packed away. Both look good quality. Not sure it would be much of an upgrade to be honest.

I have the Comfortz wrap with side windows, think it is a bit bulky but very good. Used in snow etc, helps keep everything warm. I also just bought a 2nd hand Vanorak which is smaller and less insulated for warmer months, but goes over the roof with one side sliding into the awning rail. Benefit to this one is it has 3 windows so much lighter in the van and the material is thicker more like canvas, so does not seem to flap in the wind like the Comfortz Topper.

If you choose the outer option try and get one with the cutout for solar panels - less storage required and easier to dry. I now have the German California-Camping.de topper, which is superb but it is a little expensive compared with others.

I’m watching this thread with interest. We collected our van 31st October and just discovered last week that it definitely leaks through the stitching quite badly. We want to get a waterproof cover as a short term solution and wondering which is the best option.
Obviously we will need to get the bellows replaced but we’re not near a decent van centre (in Wiltshire so probably need to go to Breeze in Southampton or Poole), so it would require a day off work to take the van and another to fetch it again. I’m about to start 6 months of chemotherapy and my husband is going to be using up a lot of his work time to take and fetch me to hospital (also >1 hour from us) so just can’t face doing this right now.
Hoping to make spontaneous trips in the summer as and when I’m well enough and a waterproof topper will mean not having to avoid rain.
We’re liking the look of the rainbow topper for a quality look (might get a matching screen cover too as internal front blind is also virtually broken/wont stay in place).
The level of waterproofing is the key factor though, that’s more important than thermal protection so I’m hoping people will come on here and comment on that.

We have both the Rainbow Screens pop top cover and front screen cover which are brilliant and easy to fit. We took the van to them in Milton Keynes when we collected it from VW there and they measured up and both fit perfectly. Excellent service and quality too - thoroughly recommend!

If you choose the outer option try and get one with the cutout for solar panels - less storage required and easier to dry. I now have the German California-Camping.de topper, which is superb but it is a little expensive compared with others.
I’ve got one of the comfortz toppers and loved using it in Scotland and Norway etc. However, since adding a ‘Roger’ solar panel I haven’t used it. I was planning to sell it. But, you’ve made me think that if a version of this type of topper is being sold for use with solar panels it can’t be much more than what I have with a hole cut out. Is this right? If so, I have a sharp Stanley knife and a ‘can do’ attitude. Do you think that this would work?

We have the Comfortz topper , great at keeping wind or rain off the bellows , stores in a medium sized bag in the boot. Only downside which.you would get with any topper is taking it off when it’s wet .
generally I use the topper if we are staying a few days . Then last day .. take it off and leave in the main passenger area … straight home and hang it up to dry in garage

I’m sure someone will jump on this but the lack of recent posts on bellows leaks speaks volumes and tells us it’s more or less fixed once you swap to the “fixed” version. Given responders here have vans not yet built it is safe to safe they will be fine.

For the OP. Most covers worth their salt (we have the Rainbow ones) are too big to go in seats.
ASSUME! My bellows leak but I’m giving them a chance to shrink before making a fuss. TBH I am not sure this forum makes a jot of difference to what VW do or don’t do. We have a pop top cover wish we’d brought it and should have brought it this trip - wet wet wet.

Back