Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave it as it is, and knock £2k off the asking price

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
mccp

mccp

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Having moved to France, the trusty Cali will have to be sold at some point before the end of the year. Perhaps the hive mind can help me decide whether to spend a bit on the Cali before putting it up for sale...

We have three or four blemishes on the body work - nothing where the paintwork has been damaged but there's a small dent in the passenger door from when our gate was blown shut as I drove past, someone pushed the tailgate shut a bit too firmly and the body work got popped inwards, and there are some car park dings.

I have absolutely no idea how much our local (extremely good) body shop will charge to fix all of these, but let's say it's going to cost £2k. Do I get the bodywork sorted and sell for 'perfect bodywork price' or do I leave it and sell for £2k less? I can see advantages and disadvantages either way, but mainly I want to choose the option that makes it easiest to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a paintless dent repair company first. I use a local guy and he is exceptional. He has repaired all kinds of nasty dents. It's amazing what he can do!

If I was buying and the overall condition was good a few minor dings would not be too off putting. I tend to prefer “honest original“ paintwork rather than recently repaired.
Selling it with a reduction to cover the repair cost gives the buyer the option of getting it fixed or pocketing the cash.

If it’s an easy no paint repair, get it done IMO

if it requires paint, still maybe worth getting it done, but take lots of photos before and after to prove the pre and post work conditions

Non factory paintwork will show up on a basic paint thickness test, which begs questions if no back up can be provided!

with back up the story will be credible

I would leave it as it is and knock £1k off not 2
I am always more suspicious if paintwork has been done. Leave it as it is & the buyer can see an honest van. If they want it fixed you could offer that as part of a deal if needed.

Given the current shortage of available new Calis along with the slackening of covid travel restrictions, I would be tempted to advertise it as is without any reduction at all. What's the worst that could happen?

If the quality of repair wasn’t the best I would either walk away or knock down anyway so I would leave as is.

If the quality of repair wasn’t the best I would either walk away or knock down anyway so I would leave as is.
Agree with that, but the body shop repaired the bonnet on my wife’s TT to an exceptional standard. I think it’s only worth doing if the repair is to factory spec.

Try a paintless dent repair company first. I use a local guy and he is exceptional. He has repaired all kinds of nasty dents. It's amazing what he can do!
I think the body shop I know can do that as well. Maybe a few £100 is all that’s needed to lose the most obvious dings.

the suggestion was paintless dent removal ?
if it involves paint, leave it as is and let the op worry about it or take photos

Back