Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overhead locker

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Not taken delivery of mine yet so can’t check but does anybody know what’s inside the mouldings that eat into the available space in the airline style overhead locker?814AAD37-9321-4175-8A9A-9474E2D3D8BD.jpeg

If you are planning anything radical with the locker, bear in mind it can't take much weight. Forget the limit but its not a lot. (think it's in the manual somewhere).

If you are planning anything radical with the locker, bear in mind it can't take much weight. Forget the limit but its not a lot. (think it's in the manual somewhere).
Thanks ArunAlec, no radical plans. Probably just store a few clothes or maybe bedding.

If you don't have the rear speakers, you can take those out to make the space more flattened.

If you don't have the rear speakers, you can take those out to make the space more flattened.
Rear speakers were standard on the T6 Ocean in the UK.

Rear speakers were standard on the T6 Ocean in the UK.
Thanks all, mines an Ocean t6.1 MY21 so assume it’ll have the speakers. I won’t be removing them.

2.5 kilo limit? Really, ours is full of guidebooks, games (and a couple of wash bags for easy finding). Must weigh about 10kg, it seems to cope with that load just fine, and the van's done 140,000 miles so far, you just have to gently lift the cupboard as you press the button to release the latch. Simples.

Handy for toiletries and pj’s... easy to grab when everything is closed up and ready for sleep or first thing when hitting the shower blocks

Handy for toiletries and pj’s... easy to grab when everything is closed up and ready for sleep or first thing when hitting the shower blocks

We have PJs in ours too. Plus laundry bags and a couple of fat boy lazy chairs...

Dry socks, hats, umbrella, scarfs, diary and all chargers that will get lost when stored anywhere else. It is a overhead glove compartment, not much more. Oh, and it blocks my rear-mirror view substantially.

Our latch doesn't work properly. Hard work getting it opened. Anyone know if it's easy to fix?

Not taken delivery of mine yet so can’t check but does anybody know what’s inside the mouldings that eat into the available space in the airline style overhead locker?View attachment 67677
Hi, we’ve got a new 6.1 and you really can’t fit much in the locker.....we have a board game in there (scrabble) and a couple of shopping bags....it is quite a delicate cupboard you certainly wouldn’t fit bedding in there and definitely nothing heavy. Rear speakers take up most of the space. Hope this helps.

Our latch doesn't work properly. Hard work getting it opened. Anyone know if it's easy to fix?

Are you able to elaborate what does not work properly?

There is a method that works good for us, see if it works for you. Kneel on the bench. Use both hands to push up the cupboard from near where the latch is, while at the same time using your index finger to raise the latch. It comes down fairly easily. You can put a little bit (a very very little bit) of some lubricant on the latch mating surface and it make is slightly easy.

It appears that the latch itself only moves by a very small amount and so doesn't disengage properly. Something inside has broken or come out of place. Just didn't seem obvious how to take the latch out so that I can take it apart and have a look, or get a replacement. It's not on the top of my list of things to sort being a newcomer. Just saw the thread and thought there may be some expert information available!

It's a common problem, the inside latch is worn down easily by rude closing (smashing) of the cupboard. The sharp edge of the latch becomes blunt over time.

Shutting it carefully (first push the outside handle gently up with one hand, before closing the locker with your other hand), may help to prevent this problem.

There is no replacement for a worn latch. Would cost you a complete new overhead locker.

On the German Caliboard.de someone has fixed a worn latch with a second iron plate under the latch.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

See picture at page #89:

Ours is very hard to open. We literally have to pull from the latch quite hard and then push down on the whole thing... definitely putting more than 2.5 of force into it to get it to open, so I'm surprised I didn't rip it out yet.

Has anyone had this issue or does anyone know where/what I need to losen? I don't see the drawer itself hitting or rubbing against anything on the sides, so I figure it must be the mechanism that is too tight. Just haven't fiddled with it yet.

Any help is appreciated, as we currently barely use the thing.

Ours is very hard to open. We literally have to pull from the latch quite hard and then push down on the whole thing... definitely putting more than 2.5 of force into it to get it to open, so I'm surprised I didn't rip it out yet.

Has anyone had this issue or does anyone know where/what I need to losen? I don't see the drawer itself hitting or rubbing against anything on the sides, so I figure it must be the mechanism that is too tight. Just haven't fiddled with it yet.

You have to push it back first, otherwise it is very hard to open.

Ours on a MY22 Ocean is stiff to open and to close. We’re used to it now though, and better that than being too loose. We opt for storing our walking jackets, waterproofs and spare microfibre towels in the locker. It’s a shame the speakers are there, it would make it more useful without.

Ours on a MY22 Ocean is stiff to open and to close. We’re used to it now though, and better that than being too loose. We opt for storing our walking jackets, waterproofs and spare microfibre towels in the locker. It’s a shame the speakers are there, it would make it more useful without.
Agree re. the speakers.

If you push the drop down part back towards the window , it opens a lot easier i find for some reason

There is a definite technique to opening…when pushing up, push up and back and then forward, whilst still holding pressure on the latch

Back