• Thread starter Cali_MattHousley
  • Start date
Cali_MattHousley

Cali_MattHousley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi,

I've started getting this message "Only leave vehicle in position P" when selecting Drive after first starting the Cali (2 days after my Warranty expired!)

I believe it's to do with a faulty Microswitch in the gear selector. I've found a "fix kit" from VW 5Q0713128A, but my 'gear stick enclosure' seems to be slightly different and is missing the Torx screw to bolt it in place.

Does anyone know if VW make a fix kit for my style of 'gear stick enclosure'; or even if this fix kit will work on mine?

Thanks

5Q0713128A Fix Enclosure.png

tempImagekUIXl2.png

Hi,

I've started getting this message "Only leave vehicle in position P" when selecting Drive after first starting the Cali (2 days after my Warranty expired!)

I believe it's to do with a faulty Microswitch in the gear selector. I've found a "fix kit" from VW 5Q0713128A, but my 'gear stick enclosure' seems to be slightly different and is missing the Torx screw to bolt it in place.

Does anyone know if VW make a fix kit for my style of 'gear stick enclosure'; or even if this fix kit will work on mine?

Thanks

View attachment 117745

View attachment 117746
Take it back to vw they should do good will or pay 50%

The VW repair for T6.1 seems to be to replace the entire gear selector - fine if you can get it done under warrantee, but a rather expensive repair for a very minor fault. As far as I can tell, there is no performance or other problem with this fault - just a rather annoying error message. If you can live with it, definitely the cheaper option is to ignore it. I started getting this message (intermittently) about a month ago - 1 week into a 4 month trip!! So far no problems, so I’m living with it for now, but will get it sorted when I get back home after Easter.

The VW repair for T6.1 seems to be to replace the entire gear selector - fine if you can get it done under warrantee, but a rather expensive repair for a very minor fault. As far as I can tell, there is no performance or other problem with this fault - just a rather annoying error message. If you can live with it, definitely the cheaper option is to ignore it. I started getting this message (intermittently) about a month ago - 1 week into a 4 month trip!! So far no problems, so I’m living with it for now, but will get it sorted when I get back home after Easter.
Make sure you test it before you drive off and get home 45 minutes later, then find Reverse is an absolutely pig to get into.
Try D to R and make sure it slots in nice.
Mine was replaced 4 weeks ago and Reverse is a pig. Back in, in 3 weeks.

I’ve now had this fault on the van for over three months - will take it into the dealer when I get back home after an extended winter trip. However, it has now developed a very annoying feature. Randomly, when parked up, a warning message appears on the dashboard, accompanied by either one or two pings. It may happen a few minutes apart, or sometimes goes for hours without it happening. Also happens whenever a door is opened. This goes on all night! Anyone know how I can stop this, as it is keeping us awake!

My appointment at VW finally came round for them to diagnose the issue. But it didn't happen for them... So they're not willing to fix the issue. It's still doing it though. When I've got the time I think I'll take the gear leaver apart and replace the microswitch myself...

Finally got home after our extended winter trip. Took to the dealer, who ‘replaced an electronic circuit under the gear selector’. Not really sure what this means, but it is now fixed, under warranty so no paperwork to provide more detail. Not sure this really helps anyone, but it’s all the info I have.

My appointment at VW finally came round for them to diagnose the issue. But it didn't happen for them... So they're not willing to fix the issue. It's still doing it though. When I've got the time I think I'll take the gear leaver apart and replace the microswitch myself...
Get yourself signed up for the All-in warranty - can't see that they could exclude this fault if it's not doing it for them.

Get yourself signed up for the All-in warranty - can't see that they could exclude this fault if it's not doing it for them.
Warranty not an option apparently. Also said, the fault has to be diagnosed during the warranty period (I haggled the wait time down from 9 months to 3...). So the fact I reported it during my warranty period doesn't matter....
Clearly you have a better dealer near you than I do!

Finally got home after our extended winter trip. Took to the dealer, who ‘replaced an electronic circuit under the gear selector’. Not really sure what this means, but it is now fixed, under warranty so no paperwork to provide more detail. Not sure this really helps anyone, but it’s all the info I have.
Well done, glad you got yours sorted. :)

Warranty not an option apparently. Also said, the fault has to be diagnosed during the warranty period (I haggled the wait time down from 9 months to 3...). So the fact I reported it during my warranty period doesn't matter....
if you join the all in warranty now you will be covered if it fails in the next two years - they cannot say it was an existing fault as they've now checked the van & couldn't replicate the problem.
The warranty is effectivly free if you would pay for the servicing anyway.

Last edited:
This is the All in Warranty + Service Plan as mentioned by @andyinluton