Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coast Manual Roof - alignment & Bellows

Have you had issues with the manual roof fitting or alignment on your Coast?

• Total voters
COAST22

COAST22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
My story so far.

Purchased a new T6.1 Coast in April, 2022 from Breeze in Poole.

Noticed in May that drivers side front section of roof was standing proud when closed.The roof clasps/clamps inside were not sitting centrally (images below)

Contacted Preston Van Centre - was advised by Service Manager that this was all ‘normal’.
Revisited after some research and was told to go to selling dealer as a bolt in the roof clamp was cross threaded /tampered with by ‘someone’ after they had the vehicle for over 1.5 hours.

Contacted Breeze and they agreed a local dealer should fix under warranty.

Preston refused.

VW customer Service arranged vehicle to go to VW Cleckheaton. They ordered parts. The day my van was due to be collected nobody turned up to collect it so repair not done.

Back to VW & Breeze re rejection or fix.

Rejection would leave me at a £3k loss plus cost of new Cali was significantly higher along with increased interest rates.

Agreed repair.

Van collected in March 2023 and courtesy Cali provided. New roof panel & bellows fitted. Drivers side roof clamp screw replaced but still sitting off centre.

Received back in May 2023.

Noticed the new roof and bellows were not fitted properly…….Follow the light grey piping on drivers side on image below. Also interior images show bellows not located symmetrically when using curved edge as a marker.

VW Breeze final stance - ‘fitted within tolerance’ and this was the design of the vehicle.

VW - closed the file and politely suggested I go to a local van centre to get them to check it (the same centre that refused to repair and initially stated there was nothing wrong). If not happy I could go to the ombudsman.

Advice anyone? Anyone experienced issues with their Beach T6.1 or Coast T6.1? Any non VW companies you would recommend to do a report on the roof?

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5861.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

Last edited:
Its clear from the external photos that the alignment is out.

You have given opportunity for VW to fix and they have refused / given you the runaround.

The issue still remains and your warranty is getting shorter, and you are no further forward in getting the issue fixed.

I would goto the ombudsman for the final decision and not waste anymore of your time with VW. If they do not rule in your favour if it was me I would just sell the van. Should be easy to sell as its a great van and covered by amazing VW warranty. No need to declare the fault to the new buyer as VW have told it is fine and within VW tolerences... and they are the experts.

Awaiting VWFS investigation into the ‘quality issue’

Still waiting……

Ombudsman & VWFS involved. No resolution yet.

Ombudsman final decision pending. Solutions offered so far mean I would lose out financially unless I go for yet another repair with an uncertain outcome. I believe the latest bellows 04S are modified - anyone have any experience with these?

Based on all available data points so far I would only be satisfied with 04S post 9/11 bellows (I'm assuming the manual bellows which have a different part number were also updated on this date).