Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Obtaining replacement security wheel bolt adapter....(lost by ATS Euromaster)

S

sdes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Its a long story, sorry, but it starts with me ordering 4 Michelin Alpin winter tyres online form these guys a bit over a month ago, going along to have them fitted and then hanging around whilst they searched but failed to find the tyres.

They then re-ordered, only it later turned out the guy that reordered them (who is now suspended) just pretended to re-order, and did the same to about 50 other customers, so, three weeks in, I discover that, and the replacement manager orders another set. The following day, they arrive, only those are the ones I ordered on line.

So, this morning when I go back to have them fitted, they now have 8 tyres. They tell me it will take an hour at least, so why don't I wonder into Camden and do some shopping.

After an hour I get a call to say the tyre profile of the snow tyres is different to the current tyres, did I know? It was discussed at my first visit, and yes, was fine, so they haven't started the job yet, but now they will.

After two hours I get a call to say they've lost the security wheel bolt adapter I handed them along with the car keys, so still haven't started. So, "the only option" is for me, as the customer, to sort out obtaining a replacement - from VW they assure me, using the VIN number.

I drove back home on my old tyres, two visits to ATS, multiple phone calls and emails and still no winter tyres on the van for a trip to visit my brother in the Pyrenees in a bit over a week's time. Ho hum.

Being a Saturday VW Commercial are closed when I call.

So my questions.
1. Has anyone else out there gone throught the process of obtaining a replacement / spare security bolt adapter from VW? If so, from where and how long roughly did it take?
2. Can anyone tell me if the image attached is of a "VW's own OEM" security bolt as I'm assured by ATS, or am I even barking up a wrong tree, they are rusting like the van, so they probably are ;-)VW security bolt.jpg .
3. If it is from VW, I'm told I just need to quote my VIN and they will know the "code" for the specific bolt pattern, is that correct?

Thanks for any help. I thought back on the 7th November when I ordered the tyres that I was doing everything in such good time - so unlike me!

VW should be able to supply the correct Security Socket based on the VIN or Reg Number, but might need to see the Vehicle Registration Document.

Are you seriously going back to ATS? With that degree of customer service I wouldn't go near them again. I hope they will reimburse you the cost and compensation for their inadequacy.

VW should be able to supply the correct Security Socket based on the VIN or Reg Number, but might need to see the Vehicle Registration Document.

Are you seriously going back to ATS? With that degree of customer service I wouldn't go near them again. I hope they will reimburse you the cost and compensation for their inadequacy.
Thanks for the swift response, hopefully they will be able to process with just an image of the Registration Doc, as that getting lost ing the Xmas post would be the next mess up.

If I could get the same tyres somewhere else in very little time, and a full refund from ATS I would walk away in a heartbeat, but i'm sort of comitted. Suddenly the Michelin "free fitting when you buy a set of 4" looks not such great value even at zero physical cost.

Cheers

Stephen

FFS. How do they lose that. Muppets.
Maybe fire an email off to someone high up at ATS, you might get
a result.

So, "the only option" is for me, as the customer, to sort out obtaining a replacement - from VW they assure me, using the VIN number.
And it should be them finding a replacement and giving you a new set
of tyres.
A good man can get those locking nuts off anyway, but it´ll probably knackered then so
you´d need to have the original nuts or bolts that they replaced.

Mine came with a code. Can’t recall where it was but I made a note. Perhaps worth a look in your paperwork.

Mine was:-

Sport Radar Light Weight Code xxxx

Mike

IMO the VW locking bolts are rubbish. Because the indent is only a few mm deep they quickly wear and the adapter slips off.
I replaced ours with some McGuard ones which have a much deeper indent and will probably cost less than a replacement key from VW.

IMO the VW locking bolts are rubbish. Because the indent is only a few mm deep they quickly wear and the adapter slips off.
I replaced ours with some McGuard ones which have a much deeper indent and will probably cost less than a replacement key from VW.
@briwy have you posted the details of those before, if not can you? Looked at McGard but the configurtator site is German.

ta

I wanted a spare locking wheel nut adaptor and had to buy a complete set of wheel nuts as VW, apparently, only sell them by the set. 4 ordinary bolts and 1 locking one. My dealer had a few sets and found two with the same locking one. I gave the original set on the van back and took the matching sets. I paid for one and I think it was in the order of £100.
If @briwy knows where to get an equivalent I would go with that, but ask for a spare adaptor as well.
They are only fixed on just over hand tight with a wrench not an air gun as it is apparently very easy to strip them.
Your situation is just the reason I wanted a spare.

I might be courting disaster, but with the last two cars I've owned (since 2002) and the new Cali, I have replaced the security bolts with standard wheel bolts from new. I have a SpareSafe, because it seems like the spare could easily be pinched (same thing on the Disco 3), but I think that the risk of losing a mounted wheel is vanishingly small. It is certainly smaller than the risk of being stuck at the side of the road, unable to replace a punctured tyre, because of a broken security bolt.

I guess I might have some awkward questions to answer from my insurer if my wheels did get pinched, but as I don't believe that will happen, I'm not bothered.

When I picked up the Cali I asked for four new wheel bolts and was given five for free from the bin that they have full of them - taken off vans and replaced with security bolts. I paid for the ones on the Disco, but they were only a couple of quid each.

I think it depends where you live as to the chance of a fixed wheel or two going missing and what they are worth. With alloy wheels on a Cali with tyres costing up to £500 each or more to replace, some security wheel bolts for £30 seems quite good value. Especially if it makes the naer-do-well go to an easier vehicle.
I have seen a new Golf TDi on a main road in Bristol, in a "nice" part of the city up on bricks with all 4 wheels removed. If a white van with people in overalls start doing things with proper tools, most people walking past think it is repair people.

If a white van with people in overalls start doing things with proper tools, most people walking past think it is repair people.
I agree with everything you say.

However, I have seen posts on here and on the Disco 3 forum where people have had their spare wheel stolen, but I haven't seen posts on either where mounted wheels have been stolen.

"Aha", you cry, "that's because they have security bolts fitted". Well, I guess I'm assuming that because most vans with alloys will have security bolts, the scrotes probably aren't going around checking every wheel on randomly parked vans on the off chance of finding one with standard bolts. If I parked on the street overnight, I would act differently. In that case, my lack of security bolts could be scoped out over a long period, so circumstances do make a difference.

I am sure that if these horrible little scrotes target a set of wheels, they will have the right security wheel adapters. They will have got it from their mate at ATS.

If the thieves want your wheels they will take them with or without security nuts. I guess alarm and DashCam is a better protection.

Anyway. I once wrecked a tyre on our Touran just to find out that the key was not in the car. The local tyre shop just laughed, hammered a homemade piece of pipe onto the bolt and of it went. They have tried that more than once. Since then I have never bothered.

When my Beach arrived in NZ the certifier could not find the security bolt to take the wheels off, looked everywhere. I phoned VW, they have a master key; security bolts removed and replaced with normal bolts.

Found the security bolt head within 10 minutes when collected van and trying to work out a rattle. Dealer in UK had put bolt in dashboard cup holder on passenger side.

Andy

Back