Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre scam

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've just had an email from Vertu VW stating that as my tyres were flagged up as needing replacement at my last service, I should contact them immediately and arrange replacement! Nothing was said at the service, I've only done 10,000 miles and the tyres are nowhere near their life's end. Very annoying, and this is VW Hereford they should know better.

shocking maybe they work on age rather than wear

I've just had an email from Vertu VW stating that as my tyres were flagged up as needing replacement at my last service, I should contact them immediately and arrange replacement! Nothing was said at the service, I've only done 10,000 miles and the tyres are nowhere near their life's end. Very annoying, and this is VW Hereford they should know better.

I had a phone call from VW Breeze Portsmouth where I had a dash cam fitted 18 months ago. They kindly informed me that my van was due its two year service, and if I didn't get it serviced my warranty might be invalid.

Even more kindly, I informed them that my van had an 18,000 miles service in Valencia, a 36,000 mile service in Tonbridge, and a DSG oil change at 40,000 miles. I expressed surprise that they didn't have this basic information on the VW service system.

Up-selling can get pretty close to a con, when there's a threat of warranty being invalid. Especially when aimed at those of us that are trusting of VW!

Not just VW. One of my friends took his RS4 into Audi dealership and they measured his tyre tread depth from the 1.6mm marker. So when they said he had 1mm left he thought he was illegal but he actually had 2.6mm of tread remaining. Very naughty!

I would avoid dealerships which tried it on. These instances are nothing to do with VW but a dealer chancing their luck. Very naughty if not required.

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would share a visit to North Wales for the first 2year service last year.
My Van is on a flexible service plan and mileage is very low.
Oil etc replaced. I noticed a some weeks later that the mfd was reminding me that the next oil change was due in 2019? Also same written on the receipt.
When new I took up an offer of extended warranty and service plan (two major and two minor services) This, I was told at time of purchase could cover the next 8 years oil changes. (Dependent on usage)
However when calling later the North Wales dealer (who did the 2 year service) for clarification I was told that I had only paid for a fixed service regime. They were insistent and would not budge. I did express that my regime was two years prior to my service visit.
Somehow during this call the phone line went dead. When I recalled I was put straight through to vw customer services. After a brief chat VWCS agreed and clarified my understanding. They even went as far to change on their records, the receipt next service due date to 2020.
I was told that the mfd can’t be reset at this time as it would upset the next service displayed date. But that I should ignore until 2020 when it will be back in sync.

Now to me this is just a bit of misunderstanding somewhere and now rectified no harm done.
But as I do such low mileage at this time, this could have cost me a fair bit extra on future services.

I’m definitely not naive enough to assume that dodgy selling sometimes occurs, but we don’t know what condition the tyres were in here.

Time, as well as distance, can expire the tyres as we see every spring when caravans litter the hard shoulder with failed tyres.

Cracks and other defects may be there. Sometimes it’s tricky for garages to advise on things they are not quite gone but could well be by the time of the next service.

As well, I bet customers vary between those who feel something that will need doing in a few months is better done when the van is in anyway (saves hassle) and those who think such a suggestion is an outrageous rip off.

Have to say, I check wear components and have never had any dodgy replacement suggestions from dealers or independents. Occasionally had a ‘might consider doing this now’ suggestion which I’ve always appreciated, as taking my van to and from services is far from my idea of a nice day out.

I’d have a chat with the dealer and try and work this out. They might admit an error or they might explain their rationale.

Quite common. We had a VW UP pool car on a full maintenance plan. Oddly the VW guys missed this when they red flagged quite a few items. All the items were covered under the VW maintenance plan but strangely once this came to light the items were no longer sufficiently worn to meet the provision under the plan.

Surprised they didn’t also tell you that your breaks pads and discs also needed changing. They prey on people’s lack of technical knowledge and some folks will say okay just sort it.

Back