Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

London ULEZ and 2011 SE Biturbo DSG

G

gatvol

I was surprised that my van is London ULEZ compliant.

Is there a logic behind this ?

No. I would keep it to yourself.
Mine is compliant everywhere else but London. Why I do not know. Faulty data in their database?

Weirdly I was just checking mine - 2014 SE BMT. Not compliant.

Bizarre! Yours doesn’t use adblue either I assume?

I assume you checked your vehicle by entering your registration on a website.

If yes, which one?

I live in leafy outer London.

The TfL site states that my vehicle isn’t compliant. Don’t I know it and pay for it.

.GOV indicates that my vehicle is compliant for London (it isn’t), but not Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield and Tyneside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I assume you checked you vehicle by entering your registration on a website.

If yes, which one?

I live in leafy outer London.

The TfL site states that my vehicle isn’t compliant. Don’t I know it and pay for it.

.GOV indicates that my vehicle is compliant for London (it isn’t), but not Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield and Tyneside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here

I didn't realise that so many cities in England had clean air zones, though I would be unlikely to drive into any of them. My California is 2013 and comes up with the same results as @pchmlk.
If I want to visit any of these areas, I'll just have to use my 50 year old 3 litre V6 for which the website says "This vehicle is exempt from charges in all clean air zones". It all seems a bit daft.

Seems a bit random. Our 2006 2.5 175 is ulez compliant according to TFL, and band 3 Critair, which is ok in most French zones. Although it has a DPF I wouldn't consider it a low emissions vehicle.

@BillyCasper

I used the tfl.gov.uk website to check my 180 dsg and it says it's ULEZ compliant. I haven't received any bills so I'd guess I'm in the clear.

Having been stranded at Heathrow recently when my night flight was cancelled on a day of innumerate cancellations, BA told us to fend for ourselves, no taxis, no hotels ...... I'll be parking the Cali at LHR next time.

As an aside, when you are used to village/ Midlands life and you drive into London it feels like Big Brother/ 1984/ fascist state. A staggering amount of restrictions/ row after row of cameras/ 20 mph speeds/ bus lanes. Just awful

Hi All,
This ULEZ is so varied across cities, it seems a lottery to me. But the following may be helpful to some.
i did naively think my 2016 T6 204 bi turbo was exempt being a EU6 compliant engine.

How wrong was I, (I think). A visit to Newcastle late last year I inadvertently entered the LEZ zone without knowing. Just over a fortnight later Ouch! a fine of £140 landed on the doormat. It was that much because it doubled as it was over a fortnight without paying the lower sum.
I made a few calls initially to the Tyne LEZ department as I was under the impression that eu6 engine with the add blue etc was exempt. It felt like I was trying to pull hen’s teeth on my calls, it seemed my pleas were falling on deaf ears, but I had to try.

Then on about the third attempt to try and plead my case I spoke with a very helpful young chap that picked up that the Cali Ocean is a camper. He asked if it had a fixed stove etc. Once I confirmed, he suggested that I retrospectively apply for exemption, email photos of camper and the log book. Within a few minutes I received a reply to say that they have updated their records to say that my vehicle is exempt and the fine quashed.
A result for persistence.

Since reading this thread I have discovered that I too am exempt for the ULEZ in London. But the Government site shows that some cities I am not exempt.????

So, for anyone going to Newcastle on Tyne. Apply for exemption beforehand if you find you vehicle is not exempt.
It would be interesting to know if exemption is available in other cities were a charge would be applied.

Big thanks to @Shadrack for highlighting this.

I am a regular visitor to Newcastle and applied online for a Newcastle Clean Air Exemption - Motor Caravans.

This required photos of the registration certificate, exterior including registration plate (I took a snap with the roof up) and internals. I took internal photos showing the downstairs bed, table extended, wardrobe and pull down cupboard, sink/ hobs/ fridge. All done on my smart phone. Very straightforward.

Within 24 hours my "Permanent" exemption was issued.

Big thanks to @Shadrack for highlighting this.

I am a regular visitor to Newcastle and applied online for a Newcastle Clean Air Exemption - Motor Caravans.

This required photos of the registration certificate, exterior including registration plate (I took a snap with the roof up) and internals. I took internal photos showing the downstairs bed, table extended, wardrobe and pull down cupboard, sink/ hobs/ fridge. All done on my smart phone. Very straightforward.

Within 24 hours my "Permanent" exemption was issued.

Brilliant!
it was only the help of a young lad within the Ulez department that made me aware of this unique clause specific to campers with a fitted stove.

It would be interesting to maybe discover if any other Ulez cities have a similar exemptions?..