Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the GC a fail?

Ah, the amazing transformation of a fixed toilet in a cupboard that ensures number 2s are always all sweetness and light?
Nah, just the same thing but with an 18 litre capacity reservoir with wheels instead of just 10 with a 335 cube.
I must of also missed the redesign of the GC that modified, the cramped and uncomfortable rear seat and created masses of space between it and the front swivelled seats, removed the guppy roof line and fitted a new side extension to makes the bed usable by 6 foot+ sleepers?
The Crafter base is the main recommendation otherwise a disappointing design, IMHO.
Well, from a smell perspective absolutely :)

Here's my view, for a family looking for a dedicated campervan it's a step up from an Ocean in terms of delivering a self-contained camping experience. It's not perfect but neither is going away for a week with two adults, two kids and a dog stuffed in an Ocean. The Ocean has its advantages when it comes to general maneuverability and freedom to explore and it's about as well thought-out as it can be after many more years of design refinement, so it's just about prioritizing what's important to you.

Is a Grand perfect? No. Would you change some design choices? Yes. But the reality is there's nothing pre-built within £20k of it that's on a Crafter base. Folks can by all means buy a Fiat based van instead if they choose, or find the extra £20k+ for a Hymer/Westfalia van.

But for people that want a Crafter base and don't have a bottomless pit of money it's a perfectly valid choice, design flaws accepted.

Last edited:
Ah, the amazing transformation of a fixed toilet in a cupboard that ensures number 2s are always all sweetness and light?
Nah, just the same thing but with an 18 litre capacity reservoir with wheels instead of just 10 with a 335 cube.

I’ve had a 6am wake up. Where someone decided to use the toilet in anger. I woke up to my eyes literally burning and that’s with the bathroom door closed and I was sleeping in the roof.

A bathroom really doesn’t take away the unpleasantness…

I’ve had a 6am wake up. Where someone decided to use the toilet in anger. I woke up to my eyes literally burning and that’s with the bathroom door closed and I was sleeping in the roof.

A bathroom really doesn’t take away the unpleasantness…
It's amazing how much difference the SOG system fitted as an option to the GC makes. All the smell is sucked down the pan & ventilated outside the van via a number of filters, I was sceptical as to how effective it could be until I had smelt it in action.

After 4 years using the California Ocean we got the GC 600.

Reasons for this were:

1.) We lost confidence in the pop-up roof
2.) Wet room (toilet and shower)
3.) The lower bed was very uncomfortable for me
4.) Easier (faster) camping setup
5.) Bit more space

I think there were more items but I can't remember them at the moment.

What we like is, that when we arrive and park up we turn the front seats and we are ready. We can make a tea, we can go to bed, we can use the toilet etc. I found that, especially for shorter breaks, there were more steps to do (or it was not as comfortable) with the Ocean.

But have I said all that, please be ensured that I won't compare the two camper vehicles. They are designed differently for different camping usage.

The toilet was mentioned a few times. Living and using a campervan or motorhome gives no "privacy" (maybe in a huge liner). I never would go with working colleagues on a weekend trip in a camper (but that is me). It is easier with the family.

Never the less the toilet in the wet room gives a wee bit more privacy than a Portapotti in an Ocean. Ok, the SOG is an extra, but if it is installed it helps a lot. Also there is the little window in the roof and, not to forget, the door. Combined together it helps.

I love that we can be without service for 3 days, which includes freshwater, toilet and wastewater and not to forget electricity. Just out of the van. We very seldom use the campsites facilities like shower or toilet, we have our own. It is more private and cleaner. We only use the campsites facilities to get fresh water, get rid of grew water. We won't even use electricity from the campsite anymore.

I believe the Grand California delivers, at least for 2x adults.

There were other issues, like the technical issues that we all know and "love". But that is a quality issue. Some design issues are terrible. For instance the place were they put the main electricity switch. No USB beside the bed (but 2x power sockets). That the Camper Unit won't have all the Truma functions. I could continue with the list.

But for me the biggest Problem is not the camper, it is Volkswagen as a company. They decided to design and built camper vehicles. But in comparison to other manufacturers (Hymer, Bürstner, Hobby etc.) they not prepare an Environment for the customer base.

What do I mean? Why is there not once a year a Volkswagen Ireland (UK) California meeting? Why don't they have dedicated Service Reps knowing (and maybe using) the Volkswagen camper? A Golf is not the same as a GC! Why don't they create a list of retrofit options (battery, LTE aerials, extra lights the list can be endless)? Traveling to Limerick and talk to a Weinsberg dealer there was no problem to change the AGM battery to Lithium. I need a LTE aerial on the roof - no problem.

Everybody has different needs and wishes and because of this like to change the configuration of the vehicle. Volkswagen won't completely cater for this at all. This is a failure!

Rant over, still happy Grand Califonria
Eberhard

Well, from a smell perspective absolutely :)

Here's my view, for a family looking for a dedicated campervan it's a step up from an Ocean in terms of delivering a self-contained camping experience. It's not perfect but neither is going away for a week with two adults, two kids and a dog stuffed in an Ocean. The Ocean has its advantages when it comes to general maneuverability and freedom to explore and it's about as well thought-out as it can be after many more years of design refinement, so it's just about prioritizing what's important to you.

Is a Grand perfect? No. Would you change some design choices? Yes. But the reality is there's nothing pre-built within £20k of it that's on a Crafter base. Folks can by all means buy a Fiat based van instead if they choose, or find the extra £20k+ for a Hymer/Westfalia van.

But for people that want a Crafter base and don't have a bottomless pit of money it's a perfectly valid choice, design flaws accepted.
Whilst the GC probably wouldn't be for me, I think you've written a really well balanced post there which for the first time gave me an understanding why some people choose them. I really fancied a Westfalia Club Joker City but when push came to shove I thought I'd be stupid paying nearly £90k for that against £73k for a discounted Cali, so I get it!
Many of these posts have been from people who ridicule them or those who own them and take any critical views of the GC as a slight on their choice of vehicle.
Well done that man!

Whilst the GC probably wouldn't be for me, I think you've written a really well balanced post there which for the first time gave me an understanding why some people choose them. I really fancied a Westfalia Club Joker City but when push came to shove I thought I'd be stupid paying nearly £90k for that against £73k for a discounted Cali, so I get it!
Many of these posts have been from people who ridicule them or those who own them and take any critical views of the GC as a slight on their choice of vehicle.
Well done that man!
Ha thanks Barry. If you also consider the amount of kid-related gubbins that you might need to take when you go away with a young family in an Ocean (pushchairs, car seats etc) then many will put something like a Thule XT Backspace on a tow bar and put all the stuff in there. If you add that to the length of the Ocean then there's not a huge difference between that and a Grand, and the Grand gives you more useable space.

There's definitely a place for it at the price it's at, the delta between an Ocean and a Grand is such that it's a good option for anyone that needs a bit more space than the Ocean can provide without having to spend a load more money.

All in my humble opinion of course!

Last edited:
Ha thanks Barry. If you also consider the amount of kid-related gubbins that you might need to take when you go away with a young family in an Ocean (pushchairs, car seats etc) then many will put something like a Thule XT Backspace on a tow bar and put all the stuff in there. If you add that to the length of the Ocean then there's not a huge difference between that and a Grand, and the Grand gives you more useable space.

There's definitely a place for it at the price it's at, the delta between an Ocean and a Grand is such that it's a good option for anyone that needs a bit more space than the Ocean can provide without having to spend a load more money.

All in my humble opinion of course!
I guess my purchase of the Cali is a pragmatic choice as the Cali was much cheaper, if the Westfalia Joker City was the same cost I'd have chosen that in a heartbeat over the Cali. Mind you I'm sure if the camper fairy gave you another £50k you may not have chosen a GC :D

Back