Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the GC a fail?

This topic has been going on since 2019 and is boring now.

If you are that interested, don’t be lazy search previous posts, it’s all been said before.
For the record I’ve just returned from a 6 week trip mainly to Croatia via the usual stop offs.
Prior to that 8 weeks in and around Spain and 6 weeks in northern Italy plus all around the UK.

I enjoy what the GC has to offer as an individual and it suits me perfectly but see it may not suit everyone,
So find something that does , and move on.
Genuine question - how did you get around 90 day ruling with all those weeks away?

There is actually a dry weight on the consumer configurator that changes when you add and remove options and a magic figure you can’t go over. Took me a while to figure it out, but enabled me to configure ours. In the end we dropped the awning as I wanted Led’s, Solar, diesel heating, power mirrors (for blind spot detection), heated seats etc. Believe it or not led’s apparently add 5kg’s!
5kg? Geez....what are they made from...LEAD?! *ba-dum-tssshhh*

Best find that out on the Adria FB page. Failing units seem to be the biggest gripe, catches and hinges breaking etc. When I was looking I joined most Converter FB groups and whilst Hymer, Knaus, Burstner was full of happy people the Adria pages were a bit grim. Iy surprised me as they always seem less conservative and more innovative and my one experience many years ago was a highly positive one.

Their caravan reputation is still good I think.
We had an Adria A Class for a few years, loved it, no issues whatsoever, very well specc’d. Only sold it earlier this year (for £5k more than we paid) as we wanted to downsize, more in width than length. I actually think they have a very good reputation, we could have sold ours 3/4 times over, with the enquiries we had, people wanting to put a deposit down on just the photos etc. We sold it in 1 day on Autotrader.

We had an Adria A Class for a few years, loved it, no issues whatsoever, very well specc’d. Only sold it earlier this year (for £5k more than we paid) as we wanted to downsize, more in width than length. I actually think they have a very good reputation, we could have sold ours 3/4 times over, with the enquiries we had, people wanting to put a deposit down on just the photos etc. We sold it in 1 day on Autotrader.

Certainly on their Facebook page they do seem to generate a lot of customer loyalty and that does not come easily, and my Adria Caravan was a little beauty. I was just a bit taken aback by so many grumbling, but then, it was a very strange time in the camper market two years ago.

So you were fortunate, like many over the last few years. Where new vehicle prices have jumped 20/30%.
How much does that exact vehicle cost today compared to what you paid…?
Let’s not make out, Adria has rock solid residuals. It’s simply because the goal posts have moved…

The same for most of these campers. Eventually there’s a stop.

So you were fortunate, like many over the last few years. Where new vehicle prices have jumped 20/30%.
How much does that exact vehicle cost today compared to what you paid…?
Let’s not make out, Adria has rock solid residuals. It’s simply because the goal posts have moved…

The same for most of these campers. Eventually there’s a stop.
I only made the passing comment about what I sold it for. It is like anything, it’s relative. I bought our new to us GC on the back of the Adria sale and although some on this thread seem to think the residual resale value as not being very good, I must have been diddled:). my main point was in relation to Adria’s and how much we liked it and also how others seemed to have the same opinion given the interest we had in the sale. Jeezzz this thread seems to have one or two touchy/keyboard warriors (Although I do love a keyboard warrior or two, very entertaining reading) Time for me to move on from this thread, i think. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Genuine question - how did you get around 90 day ruling with all those weeks away?
Hi there, 2022 September to early November touring Spain.
2023 Early June to just mid July northern Italy. 2023 early September to early October.

Next is southern Italy in May then down to Greece, for how long I’m not sure. But just do it when you can.

Hi there, 2022 September to early November touring Spain.
2023 Early June to just mid July northern Italy. 2023 early September to early October.

Next is southern Italy in May then down to Greece, for how long I’m not sure. But just do it when you can.
I think he meant - did you get a visa or do you have an EU passport?

I only made the passing comment about what I sold it for. It is like anything, it’s relative. I bought our new to us GC on the back of the Adria sale and although some on this thread seem to think the residual resale value as not being very good, I must have been diddled:). my main point was in relation to Adria’s and how much we liked it and also how others seemed to have the same opinion given the interest we had in the sale. Jeezzz this thread seems to have one or two touchy/keyboard warriors (Although I do love a keyboard warrior or two, very entertaining reading) Time for me to move on from this thread, i think. Enjoy!

Not really, your post suggests the Adria has a strong residual because you sold it for more than you paid for it a few years before.
It’s a mis-leading point, and unbalanced in the context of the conversation.
I think it’s fair to point this out as many people here are interested in a change of direction.

The Adria faired well, along with every other Campervan built between 2018-2021
I’m sure a 2024 model won’t. Although, I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time…

If you think this is touchy, try asking is a beach better than an ocean :shocked

I will be very interested in hearing your experiences with the GC. It's too long for me, and some parts of the interior would not suit me, but who knows what could happen, there was once upon a time I said "the only way you would get me in a Ducato is if it was the hearse taking me to the Crem". I really like the Crafter base.

Oh no, I was within the 90 days on each occasion so all was good.
Similar trips to ourselves. Always keeping tabs on days away - got to late 70’s last year as we kept a week plus for a couple of city breaks (that didn't materialise unfortunately).

If you think this is touchy, try asking is a beach better than an ocean :shocked

I will be very interested in hearing your experiences with the GC. It's too long for me, and some parts of the interior would not suit me, but who knows what could happen, there was once upon a time I said "the only way you would get me in a Ducato is if it was the hearse taking me to the Crem". I really like the Crafter base.
Interesting review in the Telegraph of the GC, the conclusion mirrors my own opinion.

Verdict​

In the end, the bulk and space of the Grand California is largely illusory, it’s all above your head and in tiny cupboards, which aren’t really suited to packaged goods or hard objects. Likewise, the bed is lovely and wide, but simply not long enough – in fact, the bed in the tilt roof of the smaller California is more accommodating. The loo will be important to some, but most experienced campers take their own tented loos, standalone awnings and simply travel lighter. There’s also a huge reliance on electric hook-up for this vehicle, which means that if you haven’t got it, you’ll have to run the engine to charge up the auxiliary battery every couple of days.

More than any of that, however, a camper isn’t just for the festival – and, while you’ll just about get a standard California into a garage and can use it as a regular vehicle, the Grand California is an altogether bigger undertaking. You’ll need a barn, bigger roads and not a little driving skill to manoeuvre it round a supermarket car park.

Campervans are a bit like music festivals really; bigger is most definitely not better.

Interesting review in the Telegraph of the GC, the conclusion mirrors my own opinion.

Verdict​

In the end, the bulk and space of the Grand California is largely illusory, it’s all above your head and in tiny cupboards, which aren’t really suited to packaged goods or hard objects. Likewise, the bed is lovely and wide, but simply not long enough – in fact, the bed in the tilt roof of the smaller California is more accommodating. The loo will be important to some, but most experienced campers take their own tented loos, standalone awnings and simply travel lighter. There’s also a huge reliance on electric hook-up for this vehicle, which means that if you haven’t got it, you’ll have to run the engine to charge up the auxiliary battery every couple of days.

More than any of that, however, a camper isn’t just for the festival – and, while you’ll just about get a standard California into a garage and can use it as a regular vehicle, the Grand California is an altogether bigger undertaking. You’ll need a barn, bigger roads and not a little driving skill to manoeuvre it round a supermarket car park.

Campervans are a bit like music festivals really; bigger is most definitely not better.
Must be true then….

Being an ex T6 owner, I find the (6m) Crafter (in my case TGE) just as easy to manoeuvre and far more refined to drive than the Cali. It’s our second car and gets used as such (school and supermarket runs).

The flexibility of having a toilet & showerroom on board is a massive plus for offgridding together with the electrical setup (although accept my Knaus is well able for it with LifePO4, 2k inverter, solar & B2B which isn’t standard on either the Knaus or GC). Everything is a compromise and I feel you either get the idea that everyone sleeps under the same GRP roof or you don’t.

For me, sleeping in a pop-up is a concession too far, as is peeing in a tent next to the van or chucking out your Co-travellers as you do so.

Different strokes for different folks. But just because a broad sheet suggests it’s flawed, doesn’t detract from the substantial amount of owners who disagree. They are, after all like many on here, looking at it through the lense of a small camper/car versus something with more utility. Neither is right or wrong but those who get it, get it.
Those that don’t, don't need to.

Verdict​

Obviously written by someone who has had it for a day trip and not really anyone that knows about campervans, agree sometimes not easy to get around a small supermarket car park. Bed not big enough? Bigger roads, bollocks, do you really take this review seriously.

Hello,

Is the Grand California a fail? Hmm ... I would say yes and also I would say no. Like with many other things there are pros and cons.

I believe that potential buyers of any campervan or motorhome must make compromises because the most ideal camper vehicle does not exist (or if it does, it will be to expensive).

While visiting the Caravan Salon in Duesseldorf this year I noticed that almost all camper vehicles based on the Crafter or TGE were the center of attraction. Interesting. Not Ford, Renault, Fiat or even Mercedes. Interesting...

Of course the Grand California has its disadvantages some are based on design by Volkswagen and some disadvantages mentioned here I don't understand. For instance, if people buy a 6 m camper and then expecting the same maneuverability as of a T6.1 or car. Or giving out about the AGM battery. Checking other camper vehicles many of them come also, as standard, with a small 90 to 100Ah AGM battery. In this case the issue is not the AGM battery, the issue is that, in comparison to others manufacturers, customers can't order the Grand California with a Lithium battery nor does a VW dealer is willing to install it afterwards. I think the Grand California Customer Base should put far more pressure on Volkswagen to open up for upgrades of any kind.

Yes, there might be storage issues especially in the GC 600, but in time owners find a workaround. In my opinion it is not ok to advertise the GC 600 as a family campervan, just because there are 4x seats and 4x spaces to sleep. Storage is simply not in line with the advertisement. Have I said that, I read a lot of families which are happy to use the GC 600. Hmm...

We had 3x days in Duesseldorf so plenty of time to look at various campervans or motorhomes. To decide which campervan or motorhome to buy should be a long process to ensure that it is the right vehicle (in other words the negatives are ((considerably)) less than the positives). Yes, there were other vehicles that "tickled my fancy". Seeing the things I am missing on my GC 600 tempted me - but stepping back and get the emotions out of the way, there were always disadvantages.

I think the key for potential buyer of the Grand California is to rent it, at least for a long weekend, and use it in the way they want to use it in the future. Then a decision can be made. But also thinking about the other things that comes with the camper as cost of insurance or tax, cost of service or repair, from where to get the warranty service, is it possible to upgrade the camper (battery, LTE aerial, LTE, name it), availability.

For short few weeks my wife and I were tempted to trade in the GC 600 and get something else. At the Caravan Salon we almost fell in love with a Bürstner. But back at the hotel and calmed down our emotions we decided no, we keep the GC 600 until we can't use it anymore. The reason for this is 1.) we invested a lot into the GC, 2.) we got through all the technical issues (touch wood), 3.) after various changes the GC 600 comes very close to be our perfect camper for us, 4.) change of camper (especially if it is bigger) is to expensive.

I was watching and reading a lot about the Grand California. But looking back most (but not all) of those reports or reviews are either from people with no experience or they used it only very shortly. Also those reviews are mostly not about issues, but how to use things (gas, Camper Unit etc.) not really the pros and cons of the Grand California.

Back to the question, is the Grand California a fail - for my wife and me now it is not, during the last 2 years it developed into our dream camper. Is the Grand California a fail for somebody else, I am sure there are owners out there who believe this. I am afraid those people need to sell or trade in their camper. And for another group they will get use to the Grand California like a shoe that is to tight but will become very comfortable in time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Obviously written by someone who has had it for a day trip and not really anyone that knows about campervans, agree sometimes not easy to get around a small supermarket car park. Bed not big enough? Bigger roads, bollocks, do you really take this review seriously.
To be fair, we found the bed not long enough. I'm in no way a tall chap, but my head and feet were very VERY snug. Not enough enough space to stretch my toes out. And given I struggled with our T6 Cali in Devon, I could imagine something like a GC600 hell on wheels.

To be fair, we found the bed not long enough. I'm in no way a tall chap, but my head and feet were very VERY snug. Not enough enough space to stretch my toes out. And given I struggled with our T6 Cali in Devon, I could imagine something like a GC600 hell on wheels.
Not sure if you've seen the panel in the Sven Hedin but it pushes out to give you more leg room in the bed. You'd think VW would have tried something like that perhaps.

Some would argue that being awoken by the sound and sight of your Mrs emptying a pub curry in to a Portapotti at 3am is hell on wheels :D

Hello,

Is the Grand California a fail? Hmm ... I would say yes and also I would say no. Like with many other things there are pros and cons.

I believe that potential buyers of any campervan or motorhome must make compromises because the most ideal camper vehicle does not exist (or if it does, it will be to expensive).

While visiting the Caravan Salon in Duesseldorf this year I noticed that almost all camper vehicles based on the Crafter or TGE were the center of attraction. Interesting. Not Ford, Renault, Fiat or even Mercedes. Interesting...

Of course the Grand California has its disadvantages some are based on design by Volkswagen and some disadvantages mentioned here I don't understand. For instance, if people buy a 6 m camper and then expecting the same maneuverability as of a T6.1 or car. Or giving out about the AGM battery. Checking other camper vehicles many of them come also, as standard, with a small 90 to 100Ah AGM battery. In this case the issue is not the AGM battery, the issue is that, in comparison to others manufacturers, customers can't order the Grand California with a Lithium battery nor does a VW dealer is willing to install it afterwards. I think the Grand California Customer Base should put far more pressure on Volkswagen to open up for upgrades of any kind.

Yes, there might be storage issues especially in the GC 600, but in time owners find a workaround. In my opinion it is not ok to advertise the GC 600 as a family campervan, just because there are 4x seats and 4x spaces to sleep. Storage is simply not in line with the advertisement. Have I said that, I read a lot of families which are happy to use the GC 600. Hmm...

We had 3x days in Duesseldorf so plenty of time to look at various campervans or motorhomes. To decide which campervan or motorhome to buy should be a long process to ensure that it is the right vehicle (in other words the negatives are ((considerably)) less than the positives). Yes, there were other vehicles that "tickled my fancy". Seeing the things I am missing on my GC 600 tempted me - but stepping back and get the emotions out of the way, there were always disadvantages.

I think the key for potential buyer of the Grand California is to rent it, at least for a long weekend, and use it in the way they want to use it in the future. Then a decision can be made. But also thinking about the other things that comes with the camper as cost of insurance or tax, cost of service or repair, from where to get the warranty service, is it possible to upgrade the camper (battery, LTE aerial, LTE, name it), availability.

For short few weeks my wife and I were tempted to trade in the GC 600 and get something else. At the Caravan Salon we almost fell in love with a Bürstner. But back at the hotel and calmed down our emotions we decided no, we keep the GC 600 until we can't use it anymore. The reason for this is 1.) we invested a lot into the GC, 2.) we got through all the technical issues (touch wood), 3.) after various changes the GC 600 comes very close to be our perfect camper for us, 4.) change of camper (especially if it is bigger) is to expensive.

I was watching and reading a lot about the Grand California. But looking back most (but not all) of those reports or reviews are either from people with no experience or they used it only very shortly. Also those reviews are mostly not about issues, but how to use things (gas, Camper Unit etc.) not really the pros and cons of the Grand California.

Back to the question, is the Grand California a fail - for my wife and me now it is not, during the last 2 years it developed into our dream camper. Is the Grand California a fail for somebody else, I am sure there are owners out there who believe this. I am afraid those people need to sell or trade in their camper. And for another group they will get use to the Grand California like a shoe that is to tight but will become very comfortable in time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thank you for this Eberhard. A lovely review based on first hand experience.

With any camper there is always going to be compromises and some things that work whilst others do not. Sadly most reviews on social media these days appear to focus exclusively on negatives and very often with click bait screeching headlines by those who have no idea what a camper is or what the lifestyle is about.

Ny own views is it has the potential to be a fine vehicle, anything on a crafter base has, and in the right hands and shown the right love in terms of adapting to get things right it can be a brilliant machine.

I’m 5ft10 and sleep better in the the gc600 than at home

The downstairs bed of an ocean on the other hand was no where near wide enough for 2 adults to sleep comfortably

Some would argue that being awoken by the sound and sight of your Mrs emptying a pub curry in to a Portapotti at 3am is hell on wheels :D
I think the campsite would agree, even with a 600 w/ the optional active toilet exhaust fan. :D

Ah, the amazing transformation of a fixed toilet in a cupboard that ensures number 2s are always all sweetness and light?
Nah, just the same thing but with an 18 litre capacity reservoir with wheels instead of just 10 with a 335 cube.
I must of also missed the redesign of the GC that modified, the cramped and uncomfortable rear seat and created masses of space between it and the front swivelled seats, removed the guppy roof line and fitted a new side extension to makes the bed usable by 6 foot+ sleepers?
The Crafter base is the main recommendation otherwise a disappointing design, IMHO.

In your opinion

Ah, the amazing transformation of a fixed toilet in a cupboard that ensures number 2s are always all sweetness and light?
Nah, just the same thing but with an 18 litre capacity reservoir with wheels instead of just 10 with a 335 cube.
I must of also missed the redesign of the GC that modified, the cramped and uncomfortable rear seat and created masses of space between it and the front swivelled seats, removed the guppy roof line and fitted a new side extension to makes the bed usable by 6 foot+ sleepers?
The Crafter base is the main recommendation otherwise a disappointing design, IMHO.

Back