Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hydraulic roof piston help

C

cali carl55

Help!...on holiday raised the roof, bang dropped on the one side and leaking oil out ,managed to get the roof down so I could get home.
Anyone had the same problem and had it fixed? Do I need to remortgage

Help!...on holiday raised the roof, bang dropped on the one side and leaking oil out ,managed to get the roof down so I could get home.
Anyone had the same problem and had it fixed? Do I need to remortgage
A little more information would help
Vehicle, age, where is the leak?

2006 se ,the piston drivers side loud bang and dropped then noticed oil leaking out the rear drain hole down the van ,had to climb on roof and lift it while the button was pressed to lower , then had to use the emergency button to lower it the last few inches

2006 se ,the piston drivers side loud bang and dropped then noticed oil leaking out the rear drain hole down the van ,had to climb on roof and lift it while the button was pressed to lower , then had to use the emergency button to lower it the last few inches
Apparently the older Californias , pre 2010 I believe, were prone to exploding hydraulic rams.

If that is the case then it shouldn't be too difficult a repair. Both rams should be replaced and the sensors and then top up the Hydraulic Pump reservoir.

VW Dealerships will charge an arm and a leg because, basically they don't want to do it and very few have the necessary expertise or IQ. It's not that difficult a job for a proper mechanic.

There are a few threads on the Forum of members who have done it themselves. Changing the rams and sensors.

Attachments

• How to Replace Roof Sensors.pdf
    792.9 KB · Views: 5
Back