Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front reading lights in camping mode?

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Does anyone know whether there is a way to use the front driver/passenger reading lights while in camping mode?

I’ve tried a few combinations and those lights controlled by the switches just forward off the control panel seem to be completely disabled in camping mode.

It would be great to be able to switch them on, since we pile a huge amount of stuff into the footwells and a bit of light would help to find things, and keep things tidy..

Can't you just reach up and turn them on when you are searching on a T6.1?
Thats what I'd do on a T6.

Does anyone know whether there is a way to use the front driver/passenger reading lights while in camping mode?

I’ve tried a few combinations and those lights controlled by the switches just forward off the control panel seem to be completely disabled in camping mode.

It would be great to be able to switch them on, since we pile a huge amount of stuff into the footwells and a bit of light would help to find things, and keep things tidy..

Good question- we also find this annoying. Hoping someone has a trick to do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it’s annoying, and haven’t found a way, other than putting the key in the ignition. The front reading lights are on the ‘van’ circuit not the ‘leisure’ circuit, and supplied by the engine battery. Even when sitting with the seats turned, reading at night is difficult. Only option appears to be fit an auxiliary light plugged in to the 12v socket above the passenger seat, with a flexible stalk.

Open one of the front doors. Lights come on then…

And invite your local mossi’s to have supper on you!!
and drain the leisure as opening the door triggers a start warning to the ECU which switches all sorts on in the engine, primes the pump etc etc.

Headtorch?

This, and the inability to use the stereo are presumably to save the starter battery. I can’t imagine the LED cab reading lights use much power, and in any event, if you are plugged in the starter battery charges. I understand (was it Cali Chris?) that the stereo now runs off the leisure batteries, but the 20 min limit remains…
There must be an electronics wizz out there who can devise a solution to use the lights and stereo when you are plugged in…?

Last edited:
Only option appears to be fit an auxiliary light plugged in to the 12v socket above the passenger seat, with a flexible stalk.
My first T6.1 ocean came with one of those, it’s brilliant as a reading light when using the rotated front passenger seat, not so good for the drivers side.

A T6 owner here so no camping mode (sometimes less is more!). What exactly does camping mode do? I rented a couple of 6.1's before I bought and never used it. The control panel is so much nicer in the 6.1 but not a great UI from memory, took be about 20 mins to work out how to turn the heater on. It got so desperate I thought I was going to have to read the manual - oh the shame!

In simple terms it lets you configure what lights come on when you unlock the van or open a door.
Handy for stopping the headlights ( well DLRs) coming on and lighting up the whole campsite when you unlock the van. Same for the internal lights - you can escape to the toilet block without lighting up the whole van .

In simple terms it lets you configure what lights come on when you unlock the van or open a door.
Handy for stopping the headlights ( well DLRs) coming on and lighting up the whole campsite when you unlock the van. Same for the internal lights - you can escape to the toilet block without lighting up the whole van .
That’s quite useful actually. I manually switch off the door lights and headlights but never remember to turn them back on again until someone flashes me!

Headtorch?
Yeah that’s what we’re using to make do.

Only option appears to be fit an auxiliary light plugged in to the 12v socket above the passenger seat, with a flexible stalk.
Ah thanks will try that - got one included with the van but hadn’t found a use for it..

I wonder if there will be a software update that we can hope for from VW that will change the lighting configuration so those reading lights can be part of the leisure lighting. Seems a big miss to assume the front seats will always want to be in darkness when you’re camping.

Yeah that’s what we’re using to make do.

Ah thanks will try that - got one included with the van but hadn’t found a use for it..

I wonder if there will be a software update that we can hope for from VW that will change the lighting configuration so those reading lights can be part of the leisure lighting. Seems a big miss to assume the front seats will always want to be in darkness when you’re camping.
Not something that could be fixed by software unfortunately as the light system in the front is hardwired into the starter. At all points VW try and protect the starter as much as possible. How about the pop top roof lights - does switching them on give you enough lower glow to read?

Last edited:
Double ditto on head torch.
pretzel do a core battery that charges in USB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q5WGXCQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

We use these, keep them in the glove box, have magnetic backs and come with little stick on metal pads, so stuck the pads to the inside of the sun visor, so when we pull them down at night we pop these on, they tap on and off and are dimmable, also double as a outside light as the can just stick to the outside of the van if needed.

This one solved our troubles. We had it installed in Barneveld (Westfalia Campercentrum) and it is a brother/sister from the detachable lamp in the dashboard.

lampje.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q5WGXCQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

We use these, keep them in the glove box, have magnetic backs and come with little stick on metal pads, so stuck the pads to the inside of the sun visor, so when we pull them down at night we pop these on, they tap on and off and are dimmable, also double as a outside light as the can just stick to the outside of the van if needed.
Great idea - thanks for the tip - I think we’ll do this for our next trip.

Meanwhile, head torches are all we have. By the way, I bought these from Amazon several years ago (actually an identical design by a different random brand), they are plenty bright enough, recharge on USB and one charge lasts a very long time, and they cost about a tenner: https://amzn.eu/d/hD73xhS

But there’s the feel of intrepid caver or extreme outdoorsman that goes with a headtorch, and all I’m doing is reading a book sitting in the drivers seat of my £70k camper van..

I agree it’s annoying, and haven’t found a way, other than putting the key in the ignition. The front reading lights are on the ‘van’ circuit not the ‘leisure’ circuit, and supplied by the engine battery. Even when sitting with the seats turned, reading at night is difficult. Only option appears to be fit an auxiliary light plugged in to the 12v socket above the passenger seat, with a flexible stalk.
Here's what I have to solve the same problem. Works a treat.

I struggled with this for ages, the T6 footwells are so dark physicist's study them for their doctorates. I’m sure 85% of stuff I’ve ever lost down there amounts exactly to the missing weight of the Universe.
I digress.
One day it dawned on me to unlock the car via the remote. And the welcome interior lights came on.
Remember to lock it again via the front door switch, as usual, snatching defeat from the hands of victory, I used the remote and a minute later the alarm went off waking everyone we were camping with.

I struggled with this for ages, the T6 footwells are so dark physicist's study them for their doctorates. I’m sure 85% of stuff I’ve ever lost down there amounts exactly to the missing weight of the Universe.
I digress.
One day it dawned on me to unlock the car via the remote. And the welcome interior lights came on.
Remember to lock it again via the front door switch, as usual, snatching defeat from the hands of victory, I used the remote and a minute later the alarm went off waking everyone we were camping with.
Genius! ... they still go out after a short timer tho right?

This is brilliant - can plug in upstairs and illuminate the front of the cab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KYK97QO/?tag=eliteelect-21

..Anyone hacked the camping mode screen? -

It's nuts that "the outside light and driver light when opening are linked and can only be activated or deactivated together" !.... why have two separate options in the menu to tease us then ? :headbang

Back