Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European hook up

M

mattdeb

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,
Heading to France in the very near future and have just had a last minute panic attack. Please could one of you knowledgeable folk advise if my three pin hook up lead will suffice on French campsites or do I need some sort of adaptor to convert the lead to 2 pin on the one end? (Sorry if this is a silly question,it's our first big adventure with our beloved van)
Thanks in advance!!

I've met a two pin hook-up twice on the continent, most, virtually all, are three pin, but an adaptor takes up little space and it's one of those "If I've got it then I'm not going to need it but if I haven't..... and I do need it ....."

I've met a two pin hook-up twice on the continent, most, virtually all, are three pin, but an adaptor takes up little space and it's one of those "If I've got it then I'm not going to need it but if I haven't..... and I do need it ....."
I have needed to use the 2-Pin adapter in France, Spain and Germany although I would agree that the commando type larger UK 3-Pin is more prevalent.
I agree if you don't take it the old engineering 'Law of Sod' dictates you'll need it at the first campsite you arrive in... This adapter was supplied on our 2011 Cali, I assume these were supplied on later Cali's also?
Have fun in France!

Just finished 7 weeks in France and have used the 2 pin adaptor more times than in previous years. It took me back 30 years when it was only 2 pin. In recent years I have hardly used it. Take your 2 pin adaptor.

Have used ours just three times during several trips to Europe but we would have been stuffed without it. We always carry it.

I possible should add that we were staying on 3 and 4 star sites which were very 'French' sites as we like it. Didn't see any 'Brits' (even better) until we hit further North and bigger sites.

A continental 2 pin to 3 pin adapter is supplied with your Cali or should have been!

get to GoOutdoors (or eBay) and buy one for £8 - I've never had to use mine, but the day I do etc etc ...

If you intend staying on French Municipal sites, you will definitely need a two pin adaptor for some of them

Yep as above always carry a 2 pin adapter on the van as you may need it.
When we were in Switzerland 3 years ago they had a different type of plug again which had us stumped but they had an adapter which they lent us. Most sites would be able to do this if you were in a similar position I'm sure.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks all for the replies,picked an adaptor up today.
Au revoir

Polarity tester? Could you please explain. Thx.

Polarity tester? Could you please explain. Thx.
a plug in device that shows you that the supply is wired correctly. Commonly look like this;
megger_mst210_3aff00a0882933c3c6412d1085975ed3.jpg

As loz said,

How necessary depends mostly on the appliances you intend to use abroad. I have one but never bother with it as everything I use is double insulated.

You may find this thread useful.

Thanks. Most current drawing item would be a small kettle or a small hairdryer. Still an issue? All the rest would be camera, phone batteries, etc. Do I need one of these? Thx.

I cart around a very big hairdryer and providing I am within ampage range for the type of supply I am hitching too then for me no problem.

A lot of French sites have a low limit of 6A so providing the watts drawn is less than approx 1400W it will be fine. If wanting to use more then I suggest you find a site that provides a Higher ampage connection, which may incur a small addition to the pitch fee.

No idea about things like kettles as I use gas. My other 230V appliance is my mini oven which uses 800W.