Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up lead when abroad

paulevans

paulevans

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Evening all.

We're heading off to Denmark for our hols in a couple of weeks and will be staying on a site with electric hook up. Can anyone advise whether the hookup lead we use in the UK will work in Denmark too, or will we need to purchase some sort of plug adapter?

Thanks.

Paul

The blue three pin adaptor fitting the hook-up plug to the rear of the Cali can be used almost everywhere in europe .
There are sevral existing threads on adaptors and hook-up leads .
I carry both two and blue three pin short lead and had a UK adaptor on my recent trip in Wales .
Think for the cost of a socket and some electric cable , DIY easy to make a short lead with the two diffrent ....always come handy.

Can not speak for Denmark but always take a 2-pin adaptor, you never know what you will find.
I travelled for several years and didn't need one and began thinking that the continent had finally converted to the 3-pin then this year ( 6 weeks in France) I used my 2-pin adaptor more sites than without. Possible says something about the sites we were staying on. 30 years travelling on the continent I have seen it go from all 2-pin to changing to 3-pin but not all have.

Uk Calis are supplied with an adaptor to continental 2 pin plug. Was yours not supplied with one?

Sorry but our cali was not supplied with this adaptor?

Perhaps it was included in later Calis?
The OP hasn't filled in their vehicle details so we can only guess what age their Cali is:(

Whether part of the current collection of goodies in the van or not it should be.

Costs little, takes up only little space, only likely to only be used a little but a huge, great inconvenience if needed and not there.

Available in Halfords for about £3.50 - buy 2 leave one as it is.
Cut the plug off the other & fit a uk 3 pin plug on it, then you can use the "campsite" long lead to charge up from a normal uk 13amp socket

Perhaps it was included in later Calis?
The OP hasn't filled in their vehicle details so we can only guess what age their Cali is:(
That is true, I was given one when I picked up my beach, it was standard in 2015 at least.

It has decent sealing for outdoors use. Don't forget as it will be outside it may get wet etc so if you make your own goes without saying to make sure its sealed and safe from water ingress. :)

Had the 2 pin adaptor in the Cali for 4 years been all over Europe never used it
Rolled up today in a site just outside Geneva and guess what used for the first time !
Phew David and Lisa

Three out of the six sites we have used so far in Norway have had two pin sockets.

Evening all.

We're heading off to Denmark for our hols in a couple of weeks and will be staying on a site with electric hook up. Can anyone advise whether the hookup lead we use in the UK will work in Denmark too, or will we need to purchase some sort of plug adapter?

Thanks.

Paul
We were in Denmark in June, used both leads.

Have fun,

Mark

Just got back from our first overseas trip and the first campsite in Annecy had the 2 pin outlets and also reverse polarity. Glad I chucked the adapter in the van.

Same for us re two pin in Sancerre although everywhere else has been three pin...