Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric side door conversion to fully manual?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone know if this is possible - Googled like crazy and cannot find anything of substance.

Talking about the full electric door not the soft close element.

I understand the electric door can be operated in a 'manual' mode but is heavy going?

Just interested if anyone has removed all the motors, gubbins and sensors - at the end of the day the door must be very similar and has to slide easily on runners regardless?

Quite a few owners over on t6forum.com have fitted power latching to manual doors, so you should find a bit more info there.

Hi Stuart - apologies if I did not make it clear. This is regarding removing the full electric action on a T5 (2.5 engine) side door and making manual.

Well it started life as a manual door with a motor system added so in theory.....

Strip it out and find out.

I'll be interested in the answer. Not an option I would have chosen had I bought new. Whilst it's useful in some respects it's not really practical for camping. A drain on the battery and that bleeping!!

I have a vague memory that someone on the forum had it done a few years ago. Can't find the posts though.
Think they got fed up with the kickback and inability of the dealer to sort it so it was converted back and paid for by VW.
Might be worth looking for a company who adds the electric door feature and asking them, Hazy Days ?

Max - does this mean you found another contender for the new van? If so, hope you have more luck than the last couple of attempts!

Well it started life as a manual door with a motor system added so in theory.....

Strip it out and find out.

I'm not sure SP but it may not be that simple I fear.

Buying a T5 at present and 99.9% spot on our spec bar the notorious electrickery door.

Spent an hour or two today Googling and the unreal amount of endless and varied issues that I've come across with these unnecessary contractions is mind blowing, defeating many a tech.

Just surprised that I cannot find anyone documenting a conversion. Lots of sensors and perhaps more than one ecu involved so just removing the motor might not do it??

Hi Max,
On our first cali, we had an electric door and were very frustrated with it not closing properly.
It would go half way across then open again.
Under warranty, nearly all the components relating to the electrics were changed with no improvement whatsoever, so we asked if the door could be changed to manual closure.
The VW dealer at Manchester thought it would be difficult to do, but it was much easier than they originally thought.
However the downside was it was much heavier to close but we did not regret having it done.

I'm not sure SP but it may not be that simple I fear.

Buying a T5 at present and 99.9% spot on our spec bar the notorious electrickery door.

Spent an hour or two today Googling and the unreal amount of endless and varied issues that I've come across with these unnecessary contractions is mind blowing, defeating many a tech.

Just surprised that I cannot find anyone documenting a conversion. Lots of sensors and perhaps more than one ecu involved so just removing the motor might not do it??
Well Hazzydayz can upgrade to electric sliding door, but not sure what it involves. They might be forthcoming as to what it involves and that might give you some idea as to what is involved in downgrading?

http://hazzydayz.com/electronic-sliding-doors-t51--t6---genuine-vw---supply--fit-5301-p.asp

Max - does this mean you found another contender for the new van? If so, hope you have more luck than the last couple of attempts!

Cheers Steve, yes, in at last I hope and in the nick of time for a big trip! Will post up when I get it. :)

Hi Max,
On our first cali, we had an electric door and were very frustrated with it not closing properly.
It would go half way across then open again.
Under warranty, nearly all the components relating to the electrics were changed with no improvement whatsoever, so we asked if the door could be changed to manual closure.
The VW dealer at Manchester thought it would be difficult to do, but it was much easier than they originally thought.
However the downside was it was much heavier to close but we did not regret having it done.

I've not tried it yet (and if anyone who has one can chip in that would be great) but have read that selecting the manual mode with dash button makes it *very* heavy going as you're still pushing against the motors and resistance.

But presumably there is a toothed track on the door or a cog on a motor that if removed would isolate it. You then have a door on runners that should glide.

Issue then is what stops/tracks/latches may be different on manual vs electric??

Well Hazzydayz can upgrade to electric sliding door, but not sure what it involves. They might be forthcoming as to what it involves and that might give you some idea as to what is involved in downgrading?

http://hazzydayz.com/electronic-sliding-doors-t51--t6---genuine-vw---supply--fit-5301-p.asp

Cheers WG, they've been very helpful and knowledgeable with queries I've had in the past so I'll give them a call tomorrow. :)

What's really annoying apart from the beeping is on site 90% of the time we want the door somewhere between open and closed.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this isn't more common - I'm sure some people find it invaluable, but I'd not have one given.

@caliblue / VW Manchester sounds promising. Fingers crossed on both counts.

I have told VW to convert our side door back to manual as a last resort. Sadly the electric side door is not fit for purpose. Back in at the dealers next week for more tweaking. Used the Cali tonight and it managed to wind me up due to noise coming from the side door. Sounded like someone moving their weight about on a squeaky floor board.......................

About 5 days on a campsite is all you really want. Any more and you may need to jump the vehicle to start.

The action on my side door is nothing like that shown in the link from Hazzydays. Is that really genuine VW?

About 5 days on a campsite is all you really want. Any more and you may need to jump the vehicle to start.
Just turn it of when camping . Then the door stays wherever you want it to .
Never use mine on site but it is great when you have a handful of stuff.

Just turn it of when camping . Then the door stays wherever you want it to .
Never use mine on site but it is great when you have a handful of stuff.

With reference to post #12 how is it in manual mode? Some have said in other topics that: "...their wife cannot move it..."; "...feel like the handle will break off..."?

The action on my side door is nothing like that shown in the link from Hazzydays. Is that really genuine VW?
The action looks the same as mine, a 2013 T5.1. Apart from mine having a bit of a shudder when near fully open.

if its the beeping thats 90% of the problem, others have put a screwdriver through the speaker previously, a simple cheap fix!

There is a button on the dash to turn the door off, yes it is heavy, yes when the Mrs had arthritis flare ups it was more difficult but not impossible.

Part of set-up is turn door off, turn interior lights off, roof up. Mainly the beeping, but also the battery drain potential.

From someone who's had both (not me unfortunately), we need to know how manually pulling a switched off electric door compares to the usual Cali manual door. I think we all find the doors "heavy" to some degree, so we need to understand the difference.

From someone who's had both (not me unfortunately), we need to know how manually pulling a switched off electric door compares to the usual Cali manual door. I think we all find the doors "heavy" to some degree, so we need to understand the difference.

That's the one. :thumb Personally IME the manual doors (if not maladjusted or damaged etc) run smooth as anything and should be near effortless to slide.

Update: just spoke to Doug at Hazy - super helpful as always and he will get back to me later following a chat to the tech guys there. Further info to follow. :)

Last edited:
Is that a "doors to manual & cross-check" ?

<boom tish>

Back