Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SWITCHING ELECTRIC DOORS TO MANUAL, ARE THEY HEAVY

G

Ginger99

Hi,
We are in the process of trying to buy a new California Ocean, everything is great apart from it has electric side doors. I understand that these can be switched off to manual but would like to know if they are heavy to move in manual mode?. The dealer tells me that they are not,( But then he is trying to sell me a van!) but the van is quite a way from where we live so we can't simply go and try. Can anyone advise. many thanks

Hi,
We are in the process of trying to buy a new California Ocean, everything is great apart from it has electric side doors. I understand that these can be switched off to manual but would like to know if they are heavy to move in manual mode?. The dealer tells me that they are not,( But then he is trying to sell me a van!) but the van is quite a way from where we live so we can't simply go and try. Can anyone advise. many thanks
Hi, welcome on board. Yes, it is heavy when switched off ... but a minor inconvenience if the van that you are looking for has all the other features that you need.

You can though convert the power door to a manual one - if it is very inconvenient at a later date.

For me the manual sliding door isn't heavy to the point where I wish it was anything different (ie. electric).
It will depend on your expectations I guess. Using the handle properly is required (no lazy half tugs that leave it still latched when you tug)
But I'm with the salesman and an electric door would be a nice to have unless it went wrong.
If you can spin the captains chairs around you won't even think about shutting and opening the sliding door.
There is a need for a little mindfulness if you are using the door on a slope but I doubt very much you'll camp on a slope right?

Had to edit an is into an isn't - don't you just hate auto correct.

Last edited:
Electric door is heavy when switched off, but what I like about it is when camping you can adjust to exactly where you would like it to let some air in and it stays in place.

Back