Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown begins!

Your trip sounds fantastic, really enjoying reading about your travels ( and your tea sausages and choc pud, yum!).:)

The chap with the big Gigantic Motorhome came and looked over the California. I think he was considering it as a Lifeboat.:D

Well an interesting day. Rained ALL night and was still raining this am. Took 90 minutes to cover 12 miles around Stockholm due to the rush hour and very major roadworks but once on the E4 heading N all the traffic disappeared. Lovely road, gently undulating amidst forest covered hills and gorgeous lakes around every corner. Stopped for coffee.image.jpg

Why cannot our Services in the UK be like this.
image.jpg

Anyway a bit further on found this:-
image.jpg Don't ask me why this is in the middle of the countryside. It is supposed to be a Museum and Restaurant, called Dragons Gate, but it was closed.
Continued on for another 100+ miles and then Sally SatNav had a fit. Near Sundsvall there is a new stretch of motorway, E4, and a new bridge over the estuary. NOT shown on the latest V12 SatNav updates. Anyway, as we started going off road she kept telling me to make a U turn. This carried on until we launched ourselves over the estuary. Then she shut up and sulked until we rejoined the E4 and then it was " Keep straight on this road for a very long time ".
Anyway now pitched up for the night. Lovely campsite, quiet, excellent showers and right beside the waters edge and I mean close. 2ft across and 3ft down to the water.image.jpg image.jpgThat's all for now. We'll see what tomorrow has in store.

Sound great. Thanks for the updates. Makes being at work less painful (not much less but every little helps...)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sound great. Thanks for the updates. Makes being at work less painful (not much less but every little helps...)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

....being at work is more painful considering we also could be in those magnific sites , just hop in your Cali.....:cool:

Looks like your having a great trip sofar Paul !

Cheaper than Starbucks.

Just checked the webcam at Nordkapp. Lovely sunny evening. Most of the snow has gone and there are about a dozen motorhomes there and maybe a campervan over in the far corner of the parking area. 3/4 days and I'll be there.

Been looking at the cam the last few days and the skies look the best of the last few days...looks like the good weather is coming!
Hope the summer begins in Norway by the end of the month....by the time we arrive......:D Being just a bit selfish now , sorry!

Just checked the webcam at Nordkapp
Sorry if you've already posted it, but what is the link for the webcam? Maybe we will see you on it soon?

Having a quiet cup of coffee watching the sunset and heard a noise behind and this arrived.image.jpg
I seem to be attracting them. At least this one hasn't got a Mercedes pushing it.

Thanks for the link. Hope I can get Internet wherever I am on Friday.

As a matter of interest, what sort of mileage are you covering in a day, and how many hours do you drive?

View from my bed.image.jpgAnd on my way back from the shower block.image.jpg Now for breakfast and hit the road.

Last edited:
Another day a another 280 miles further North near Lulea. Tomorrow I leave the E4 and strike out N across country should be interesting. Started out sunny, then cloudy with showers and now rain. New campsite right on the beach of an estuary. The pitches don't look much because the snow only cleared Friday.
image.jpg image.jpg

Certainly noticed the difference traveling today. Initially forested hills and lakes on the left and inlets on the right. Then it got hillier and the forests became less green because the deciduous trees up here have only just got buds let alone leaves. The grass became brown with lots of peat bogs, certainly different.
The E4 is no longer a motorway. It now has lay-byes and junctions but still very little traffic the majority being lorries and some of them are big. But they have been clever. Outside the towns /villages it is 3 lanes with a central crab barrier and alternating 2 or 1 lane on both sides. The 2 lanes stretches are very frequent but only about 1 km long, enough for the cars to overtake but not the HGV's that are restricted to 90 k/hr. Every so often, normall on an uphill stretch their is a 5 km two lane section so the HGV's can sort themselves out. The main trouble is that the Motorhomes and Caravans think they are cars. They should really stick with the lorries. Having said that there is very little traffic. When I stopped for lunch it was over 10 minutes before a vehicle passed and that was a lorry.
Nice spot for lunch beside a lake. Pity about the weather.image.jpgWe'll see what tomorrow brings.
The California is an excellent long distance vehicle. It just eats up the miles. According to the on board computer I'm averaging 32.7 mpg and I am not dawdling. I'm following the Swedish motorists ( speed limit + 10% ) outside the towns. And some are faster. Haven't seen a Police car outside the cities at all.
I'm keeping a tally of fuel and miles so that I can do an accurat tank to tank calculation at the end of the trip.
Bye for now.

Saw plenty of these road signs image.jpg

and a few of these as well
image.jpg

Fantastic trip and fantastic photographs. Quite envious. Brilliant!

Enjoying reading about your trip, keep up the good work and safe travels !

Like it! Did a bit of travelling ourselves today to Coniston, as you say it's effortless in the Cali and you have to keep an eye on the speedo. MPG about same as yours.

IBoost arrived today, picked up a few wifi signals from the site (NT camp site) but all need passwords, so in the town sat in the Black Bull with a pint using their wifi.

Look forward to your next bulletin.

Avoid this one. Could only mean trouble...

The Big ones are following me everywhere. This one has got a Fiat Bumper!image.jpg

:Nailbiting...maybe the Fiat came allong with the fly's ...go over there and warn that guy there's a strange thing on he's front wing!