Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cashed in

WBAC online valuation currently offers £1K more for our Beach than we paid privately 4 years ago...crazy, which still sits £3-5K below recent Private Sale ads for same year....Happy Days!

I put my T6 details into we buy any car and the quote was the same as I’d paid for it in December 2019. I am giving it serious consideration.
We bought ours same week as you. WBAC currently quoting what we paid in December 2019

Great for you and everyone has their own idea about this, but you didn't really last long with your small campervan. I'm just saying. More and more it appears that a large group did not really know what they were buying and do not prefer the great advantages of a small campervan over the so-called space that a fiat Ducato or something of that size offers. Just a thought.
One hears the same story over and over: needs change, evolve. I do understand but can’t follow it but you don't have to worry about that; I am obsessed with small campervans.
Who knows what the future will bring for our family (4), but for now we are going to more horsepower, air conditioning while driving and the many conveniences such as the sliding inner table, the outdoor table in the sliding door and the seats in the tailgate. That is why we also go from our old faithful T4 westfalia from 1991 to an already ordered (but not yet delivered) T6.1 coast. Bigger: not for us: convenience takes precedence over compromises. Each his choice.
Yet: have fun with your large campervan/motorhome!
Greetings

How about me?

8 years in a Cali, been everywhere, over every sort of ground, written and posted reams of great things about the Cali but currently driving around in a Fiat Ducato.

Some times we can say "brilliant, just need to try something else, life changes and so does my needs".

Sorry but a comment like that just screams arrogance. We knew exactly what I was buying 3 years ago and during that time was exactly what we needed. But with 2 Golden Retrievers and a baby the California is no longer practical, in 5-6 yrs time that may change and we get another.

It sounds like you need to upgrade to a Beach.

WBAC online valuation currently offers £1K more for our Beach than we paid privately 4 years ago...crazy, which still sits £3-5K below recent Private Sale ads for same year....Happy Days!
WBAC price, however good, is just a marker as you’ll sell easily/privately in this market…..for considerably more probably. I can see the appeal of no hassle but in my experience with them when we took my Son’s car to them they were VERY fussy about the condition and used any tiny mark to reduce the price.

How about me?

8 years in a Cali, been everywhere, over every sort of ground, written and posted reams of great things about the Cali but currently driving around in a Fiat Ducato.

Some times we can say "brilliant, just need to try something else, life changes and so does my needs".
Good for you :thumb But: did you read everything I posted? What do you want to achieve with your post, “how about me”? As I said already enough that each does what he wants and has his idea about ‘evolving’ or ‘upgrading’ (we adapt in our case in our way) or: as it turns out as you can read in some reactions: cashing in, as the title of the post.
I mean this in the most friendly and polite way.
OK: here is our story: 8 years in a california (T4 westfalia), been everywhere, almost over every sort of ground, aficionada of the small campervan and interested in all motorhomes and ordered a T6.1 coast.
For now, I say: brilliant, just need to upgrade from an old small campervan to a new one. Life changes and so does my needs. Each to decide for himself how you deal with it and what you decide.
And me with my thoughts that I better kept to myself in this case.
Greetings

Last edited:
Have prices peaked?

March 2017 (new) £42,222
March 2018 WBAC £28,730
March 2021 WBAC £30,315
May 2021 WBAC £34,505
July 2021 WBAC £37,270
Nov 2021 WBAC £31,695
For this year absolutely, but it always does at this time of year. Hard to say if the same very high demand of 2021 will repeat itself in 2022.

Prices were so daft in the summer, we nearly chopped in our recently acquired 2015SE for a new Coast as the cost to change was relatively small - similar van in the classifieds for 48k, against 55k for a Coast.. However, having spent nearly 12 months looking for it and a very specific spec, we decided against it as didn't want to be without a van for so long.

Ok, my 2 peneth for what it's worth.

Sold our Cali last year for a good profit, loved it but in uncertain times didn't want 50 odd k sat on the drive. Our Cali was very much for leisure and never intended to be a daily driver.

Don't think we would buy another Cali as I like the idea of a fixed bed and a shower room of sorts so will probably either be looking at a 6m coach built or van conversion from one of Hymer owned builders but speaking to dealers in general new and used stock is very low and long order wait times for new vehicles. All the dealers I have spoken with covering a wide range of manufacturers seem to think it will be 2023 before the market starts to correct.

Who knows what will happen but I have always thought as soon as people can travel freely a lot will return to their old ways of travel yet some will stick with their new found freedom but for me we will still be towing our folding camper for the time being.

I think the new 6M Van based conversions based on the Ducato are the new California.

They didn't really exist before but now we have a huge choice and the competition is making the vans get better and better.

A 6M Ducato can get in most place (hence DPD use them so much) all with the luxury of a Lounge/toilet/shower/full kitchen and Hard top with standing room, all whilst sleeping and travelling 4 in comfort.

With a price undercutting a Cali by £10K+ and having equal residuals.

Ok, my 2 peneth for what it's worth.

Sold our Cali last year for a good profit, loved it but in uncertain times didn't want 50 odd k sat on the drive. Our Cali was very much for leisure and never intended to be a daily driver.

Don't think we would buy another Cali as I like the idea of a fixed bed and a shower room of sorts so will probably either be looking at a 6m coach built or van conversion from one of Hymer owned builders but speaking to dealers in general new and used stock is very low and long order wait times for new vehicles. All the dealers I have spoken with covering a wide range of manufacturers seem to think it will be 2023 before the market starts to correct.

Who knows what will happen but I have always thought as soon as people can travel freely a lot will return to their old ways of travel yet some will stick with their new found freedom but for me we will still be towing our folding camper for the time being.
2023/4 season definitely. The 2022 season stock is already sold on most the 6M van conversions.

My MIL's Coach-built has increased in value in the 18months since purchase and trade in to the same supplying dealer is £4K more than she paid!....madness but there is such a lack of supply.

I think the new 6M Van based conversions based on the Ducato are the new California.

They didn't really exist before but now we have a huge choice and the competition is making the vans get better and better.

A 6M Ducato can get in most place (hence DPD use them so much) all with the luxury of a Lounge/toilet/shower/full kitchen and Hard top with standing room, all whilst sleeping and travelling 4 in comfort.

With a price undercutting a Cali by £10K+ and having equal residuals.
I very much like the 6m conversions, but would go sprinter or crafter over ducato

I very much like the 6m conversions, but would go sprinter or crafter over ducato
Great base for 2 berth but the width is a real compromise on 4 berth.

If you have kids have a look at Wildax Solaris, or Vans like Autotrail Adventure 55.

I’d like a crafter conversion but need it to be under 2.8m to fit in my basement car park. The crafter itself is 2.6m -anyone seen one with a pop up rather than hard top?

With my post I don't mean that everyone should do the same, where do you get that? Before it becomes a smear campaign against me: forget what I wrote in my first comment (I'll stick to my idea) and get on with your life and have fun, small campervan or not :thumb
calibusje, of course you have the right to your opinion. I think the problem is that your opinion came across in a condescending, combative way. You may not have intended to do this but that's the way it reads.

I’d like a crafter conversion but need it to be under 2.8m to fit in my basement car park. The crafter itself is 2.6m -anyone seen one with a pop up rather than hard top?
The Hymer Evolution 540 we have ordered is 2.6m and has a pop top. It’s based on the new Ducato.

The Hymer Evolution 540 we have ordered is 2.6m and has a pop top. It’s based on the new Ducato.

The pop top looks massive also.

Looks great. You’re changing from a Cali for the fixed bed and shower?

I think it’s 145 x 210 upper bed. Bottom bed is 132 x 196 bit tapers a bit to the bottom end to 122.

Looks great. You’re changing from a Cali for the fixed bed and shower?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/just-ordered-a-new-hymer-evolution-blue-540.42581/

yes, lots of reasons. Had Calis for 15 years the first being a T4.
Bit fed up with the amount of faffing and the compromises if the weather isn’t great. Also the idea of different spaces, fixed bed so someone can chill/read, pop top and lounge area that has 1.9m headroom even when someone is up top. 70l beer fried and loo/shower a bonus . And it’s class 3 winter proof for alpine adventures.

In my (limited) experience of both types of vans, having hired both, the Ducato type is without a doubt a much bettter eating, sleeping, living and cooking area.
We just found the size more of an issue for negotiating small country roads and parking in busy towns and villages. It also drove like a van. The Cali is pretty much like driving our estate car, probably easier in fact due to the high up position and the large wing mirrors.
For our needs (a day van and occasional overnighter for 2), the Cali is the winner. But I totally understand the positives with the van conversion type. They are very good indeed. It all depends on what you want from this type of vehicle. As I’ve said, for the actual camping bit then there’s a clear winner. If we were going to be doing a lot of that then we’d definitely get a bigger van. But we’ll be happy touring around in a Cali and staying in hotels/B&B’s most of the time.
One final thing that swayed our decision - we didn’t want to have a large/tall van sitting on the drive. However good they are, there’s no getting away from the fact that they are a big van. It probably would have meant us storing it somewhere, which then loses the ability to just head off somewhere on a whim.
We’re more than happy to have the Cali on the drive.

In my (limited) experience of both types of vans, having hired both, the Ducato type is without a doubt a much bettter eating, sleeping, living and cooking area.
We just found the size more of an issue for negotiating small country roads and parking in busy towns and villages. It also drove like a van. The Cali is pretty much like driving our estate car, probably easier in fact due to the high up position and the large wing mirrors.
For our needs (a day van and occasional overnighter for 2), the Cali is the winner. But I totally understand the positives with the van conversion type. They are very good indeed. It all depends on what you want from this type of vehicle. As I’ve said, for the actual camping bit then there’s a clear winner. If we were going to be doing a lot of that then we’d definitely get a bigger van. But we’ll be happy touring around in a Cali and staying in hotels/B&B’s most of the time.
One final thing that swayed our decision - we didn’t want to have a large/tall van sitting on the drive. However good they are, there’s no getting away from the fact that they are a big van. It probably would have meant us storing it somewhere, which then loses the ability to just head off somewhere on a whim.
We’re more than happy to have the Cali on the drive.
Agree entirely. Until recently we wouldn’t have changed as there was nothingin the market that appealed to us.

The introduction of pop tops to the likes of Hymer, Adria and others has created a new market segment I think and it’s interesting g how many owners in the Facebook owners page have migrated from Oceans/SEs as their needs evolve over time.

Had VW offered the Grand Cali as a pop top we would have considered it but we really don’t need a 6m van as it becomes a bit more of a challenge in terms of storage and parking.

The Ducato is 5.4m long and 2.05m wide so pretty manageable as a 2nd vehicle if needed. Agree more van like than the Cali but the latest upgrade has massively improved the cockpit and the digital rear view mirror is pretty cool .

It's difficult to tell from pictures but it seems to have a similar layout to the GC and many others I've looked at. The area around the table is quite small (ironically the California has more space) and would be a no-go for my dog.

One of the Rimor ones had a layout that would work (there are probably also Hymer models that would fit the bill) but it's a substantially larger MH, definitely beyond the camper van.

Most of the "large" concept is due to the height. It is half a metre longer, same length as the LWB and a couple of mm wider. I have no problem parking in a conventional parking space, or getting through width limiting posts.

Back