Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack removal T6 missing key

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We need to take the bike rack off the back of our T6 California, but don't seem to have the key - can anyone tell me what we need? It's some kind of hex key with a hole in the middle.

Thanks. 1646833760210.png

No, we don't - bought the van second hand a couple of years ago, and have only just tried to take the bike rack off and realised we don't have the necessary thing.
Useful to know what it looks like, anyway!

We need to take the bike rack off the back of our T6 California, but don't seem to have the key - can anyone tell me what we need? It's some kind of hex key with a hole in the middle.

Thanks. View attachment 90141
Available from Screwfix etc, security bits. You’ll need the driver to go with them. Failing that you could probably undo them with mole grips or similar. They look ready for the bin anyway.

Thanks. I might just drive round to Screwfix and get someone to come out and look at it, tell me what we need.

just make sure you order for the right bike rack. Not sure which one you have...
It's the right bike rack - checked - but I can't get the thing delivered in time, so we'll need to check out the Screwfix option I think.
It's not the end of the world if we can't take it off, just driving down to Switzerland on Monday without bikes, so it would be good to remove it to improve fuel economy. Plus I've booked the van without rack on the Eurotunnel - price is the same with or without (up to 5.4m), but it might be an issue.

It's the right bike rack - checked - but I can't get the thing delivered in time, so we'll need to check out the Screwfix option I think.
It's not the end of the world if we can't take it off, just driving down to Switzerland on Monday without bikes, so it would be good to remove it to improve fuel economy. Plus I've booked the van without rack on the Eurotunnel - price is the same with or without (up to 5.4m), but it might be an issue.
I think it will be better in the long run to have the tool anyway, also to put it back on, as that tool is a torque wrench.

Yes, it would be best to have it - I'm wondering if anywhere more local (London) might stock one, so we could get it before the weekend. How did you find it?

Ok, rang up the Vanstyle place and they are going to deliver the key thing by Friday, fingers crossed. Thanks very much Calimili and Jodalo for your help.

You can probably find a star torx set locally. It needs to the security or tamperproof with the hole though.

These will do it:

Back