Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack Key?

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

My California came with the genuine VW cycle rack on it, but the previous owner did not have the key that locks the third arm?

Just wondering if any of you have a clue as to how I can get a replacement key for it? Is there a serial number somewhere that identifies it, or will I need to get a replacement third arm?

Thanks in advance

Spencer

I've just checked my documents and the fitting instructions and I can not find any reference to the key or it's number. VW obviously don't expect you to loose them or in your case have them handed over with the vehicle.
Makes me think I need to record the key number and possible get another spare cut and put it in a safe place. Unfortunately I think the safe place must be getting full with all the other things I've put there and now cannot find!

I think you can buy just the plastic bit with the key, first port of call would be give Steve + SMG a call

Hi All,

My California came with the genuine VW cycle rack on it, but the previous owner did not have the key that locks the third arm?

Just wondering if any of you have a clue as to how I can get a replacement key for it? Is there a serial number somewhere that identifies it, or will I need to get a replacement third arm?

Thanks in advance

Spencer
Hi you can buy the bit with the key I've just fitted mine but had to chop the old one off re weld a short bit of 8mm rod and put it back together had a right game but mine had seized up wouldn't just screw off hope this helps

I've sent an email to SMG to see what options are available. Chinny- just out of interest, did you buy the whole arm? I've seen it for sale, but for £66, just wondering what you did.

You should be able to prise the old one off without any damage then order a new knob from vw dealer. Happened to me think knob was about £30.00. If it's unlocked then no problem I wouldn't personally trust the lock always use a sturdy one for proper bike protection.

Thanks All,

Jeff, that is exactly what SMG have told me is the best option - so that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks again to everybody for their input.

I’m looking for a 3rd Arm and key if anyone has one for sale !!

7BC0E32D-FC46-4225-93C4-2C0DC5A1145D.jpeg

Back