Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean (SE)

Was told just this week when doing the Hannover factory visit the Beach covers 50% of the Cali market as the Ocean and Coast ( not in the UK ) covers the other half.

Both vehicles always seem to have a £10k price gap,
I think that gap has narrowed quite a bit. There has always been quite a lot of bits standard on the Ocean that need speccing on a Beach to compare before you get to the kitchen/wardrobes/roof/camping stuff.

Heated seats, side sliding windows to both sides, double glazing, power latching, cornering fog lights, folding mirrors, twin headlights with heated washer nozzles, larger alloys, climatronic 3 zone a/c, parking heater, premium dashboard, extra and improved interior lighting package etc. etc.
That adds up to quite a bit of money a lot of people spend on Beach extras, don't forget hookup and leisure batteries too. So many people joke "why spend 10k on an Ocean just for a kitchen?" there is so much more than that. I like the idea of the Beach and Ocean and get why so many choose the Beach but I feel the price of a well specced Beach is a lot more than it used to be and the gap has narrowed. I recently enquired about price for ordering a sensibly specced 150DSG Ocean and I could buy it for around £48k. What price can you get a T6 Beach for with the bits I've mentioned above??

Some of what you mention is standard. Such as leisure battery, hookup etc. Then there are a few things, which you simply wouldn't bother with. Power latching for one. Other stuff which I would include such as cornering lights, diesel parking heater etc come into package options.
I've tried a couple of times. But there is always a £10k price difference.
In some regards the Ocean could do with a more basic & cheaper base spec to allow for the right added options. E.g electric roof. That has to be an expensive add on, most would do with out.

E.g electric roof. That has to be an expensive add on, most would do with out.
Agree, would save quite a bit I'm sure. I have the T6 Cali brochure from Dec 15 so was quoting differences from that, maybe you get a bit more now?

Agree, would save quite a bit I'm sure. I have the T6 Cali brochure from Dec 15 so was quoting differences from that, maybe you get a bit more now?

I've used the online configurator. Not sure how accurate it is.
I wish the Beach had the bigger engine and 4 motion option. Would consider them both.

Any idea of the discounted price of a 150dsg Beach? With extras.

We always lose our compared to european spec. I really think the 204ps engine in the beach would sell in decent numbers, also the coast. It's about time VW uk gave us more choice.

Thats why and if i ever would change , i concider the "Coast" version to get rid of the electric/hydrolic roof . But adding other bits on the Coast like double glazing ,..makes it also expencive.
I can't understand why VW not let people chose if the want a manual or a electric roof on a Ocean.
Since there is no reason why a Ocean cant have a munual roof strickly technicwise.

Buy a Coast in Germany. Manual roof is standard. Electric roof costs about 1800 euros extra.

Why would i buy in Germany if i can have a Coast in Belgium?

Hi folks I’m new on here really fancy a camper in 4 years when I retire so I can spend all year messing around Western Europe! Anyway I’m a VW fan had loads of golfs, 2 passats and now have a polo love it.

So I’m wondering about the 2 versions VW offer and I see pros and cons as one should on both sides. Some interesting points here made by owners. One is the wider bed in the beach version and the other of course is the kitchen in the ocean. I have been checking out second hand adverts and interestingly lots of campers say “kitchen as new never cooked in” so would I or are you guys paying £10k for a kitchen you don’t use? Just an observation, I’ll decide when I’m in a position to buy. Thanks and great to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks I’m new on here really fancy a camper in 4 years when I retire so I can spend all year messing around Western Europe! Anyway I’m a VW fan had loads of golfs, 2 passats and now have a polo love it.

So I’m wondering about the 2 versions VW offer and I see pros and cons as one should on both sides. Some interesting points here made by owners. One is the wider bed in the beach version and the other of course is the kitchen in the ocean. I have been checking out second hand adverts and interestingly lots of campers say “kitchen as new never cooked in” so would I or are you guys paying £10k for a kitchen you don’t use? Just an observation, I’ll decide when I’m in a position to buy. Thanks and great to hear your thoughts.

Welcome , indeed some never use the kitchen , never fill up water in the tank and only use water in botlles some even never went and sleep in the pop-top...
Strange bunch of people arround this place!
Again welcome ....you are one of them;)

Everything is used on my SE especially the kitchen.
Personally I do not see the point in buying an SE if you never use the kitchen. But then some people never venture further than the end of their own road and never across the water to the Continent.
All talk and no Action.

We went for a Beach, in the end, my other half wanted a SE/Ocean initially.... However, we still cook, have a fridge and drink water in our Beach! It has been confirmed as the right model for us, after over 100x nights away in it during 2017. However, it's all personal choice.... But I agree, if you're not 100% sure you'll use the SE/Ocean to it's full capacity, why pay the extra for equipment (which only adds some convenience to separate camping equipment) you won't use. An overnight heater is a must IMO for the Beach tho, as it doesn't come as standard..... We use our overnight heater all year around, even in Summer!

Plenty of info on here and elsewhere..... Just decide what your priorities are and what models come available at the right price point etc. The wonderful thing is, that I'm sure either variant will do you just fine!

Cost wise there is in fact very little difference if you don't require the extra seating capability of the Beach and don't already have some camping kitchen equipment.
Comparing a Beach with heater, upgraded lights and other vehicle extras that are standard on the SE or Ocean, and then the camping kitchen equipment etc that would be needed narrows the price differential. The only major thing you cannot spec on the Beach is the electric roof.
For All Season use for a couple the full fat SE or Ocean has a lot going for it.

I should add..... The "Coast" version, might have been our version of choice had it been available at the time. In the UK, only the Beach & SE/Ocean are available, but the Coast version is available elsewhere in EU (including Republic of Ireland.)

We would have still needed to add the (expensive, but worth every penny) overnight heater to the Coast, as it's not standard..... We would've also upgraded the lights from H4 to H7, but would've been happy with the standard dash, and manual pop-top.

After placing my factory order for the Beach..... The option to buy a Coast in Ireland came to light, but it was too late to pursue at that stage....

The Coast does offer a half-way point between the Beach and SE/Ocean. However, whilst it saves a few quid off the full-fat Ocean.... You do loose the full-width bed, and options for 7-seats offered by the Beach.

It's also perhaps worth considering..... That any savings available by choosing the Coast over the Ocean, may be wiped out by extra insurance premium..... As insurers may not have the Coast on their database (and computer might say no......)

Best advice is to decide what you wish the vehicle for and how many will be travelling on tour. Only you know what you want. Don't listen to us is either the Ocean or Beach camp. We have chosen for our own purposes and are biased. I use my cooker a lot and like the storage which is used properly can carry an awful lot and all hidden from view. Anyway whatever you choose welcome and happy times ahead.

What others do with their campers is entirely down to them and I'm not in a position to judge or come out with statements to rival Solomon, so... from my own p.o.v....

I looked very carefully at a Beach. However I camp all year round, often off road in isolated places, so needed the indoor cooking facility even for just occasional use, although so far Alfie has been cooked in and eaten in for 100% of my time away. Even when at a Britstop there are teas, coffees, soups and bacon sandwiches to consider!

I am often solo so do not need the wider bed.

Even though I take my own drinking water separately I do have need for a tank of water, even if just for clothes, van and personal washing. It's just too convenient to have a fixed tank, sink and tap for me to be without one.

I wanted, in fact essential for me, to have 4WD and DSG. The heater is an essential also.

Those are my most basic needs. For me, putting them all together, the Ocean just made sense. It may not make sense to others but then that's why we are campers I suppose, because we want the maximum choice, flexibility and individuality.

Thanks folks appreciate your replies. It’s just that awful feeling of paying huge money and not using the kit I’ve paid for, the number of “never cooked in” on the market is appealing to second hand buyer but got me thinking if it’s a facility I would need. Yes lots to consider, cheers for now

We have been touring as a family of four for an almost continuous six months in a Beach. Perfectly satisfied with our choice - we just set up kitchen and dining room in a driveaway awning.

For a couple or perhaps a family of three I can see than an ocean would be the right choice. For a larger family the beach is truly versatile, morphing from 4/5 berth camper to 7 seat MPV to van.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I like the kitchen and worry about beach being a bit basic and have mused about what I’d do if vw did the equivalent of Danbury with the Rio (full kitchen/wardrobe) and the diamond (full bed, Little kitchen). Latter looking a bit more spacious but compromise on storage

When you get home tonight go into the kitchen and rip out the cooker, fridge and sink. Whilst you’re at it, pull the radiator off the wall. Now chuck in a couple of extra useful seats.

There you go, a Beach.

Live with that for a couple of weeks and it’ll make your mind up.

For added realism also insist that your entire family must sleep and live in the kitchen. And if you have a big kitchen maybe block off a section of it ;-)

For added realism also insist that your entire family must sleep and live in the kitchen. And if you have a big kitchen maybe block off a section of it ;-)
Better still, build a shed 1.5m by 2.8m.

Sleep, cook and eat in it for a week with a 1.12m x 1.8 bed, wardrobe and kitchen.

Relocate the wardrobe and kitchen to an attached tent, and replace the 1.12 1.8 bed with a 1.5 x 1.8 bed and cook and eat in the attached tent.

Decide which you prefer.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu