Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean (SE)

Unless you need 5 seats.
Nop , two in front is more than enough....the back seat is just fot the doggie....:bananadance

If he is close to you hireing would be great to figure out the needs for him....:thumb

I am really impressed by the rapid response of the members and whether I buy a Beach or an Ocean, I am sure I am joining the right community and will meet many new friends on our travels.

The comments are helping very much but as a question is answered it leads to another which I hadn't thought of. I guess this is the fun of adapting a Cali to what you want out of life. I hadn't appreciated how slow an electric run kettle may be but I am reasonably certain that having space for 4 passengers and a loaded van (for weekends) or 6 passengers and a bit of kit (for day trips) might be the determining factor for us. Its not even about money, I just want the van that is most likely to suit our needs for most of the time. With either choice there will be compromises in certain situations. The proper size bed will be a bonus and I guess being able to brew a quick cuppa will have to be the victim. The van centre have recommended a retro fitter for the heater and its priced reasonably and is able to be timed etc.

Although I am swayed towards the Beach, please keep your comments coming in, I am learning loads and I'm sure other forum members are finding it really useful.

We have a 2 seater beach, which we purchased as an ex demo with 29 miles on the clock. It is our daily drive, replacing a BMW 5 series Touring. We don't use it for any "van duies" as we have Sprinter van for business use.
In the end, finances did influence our decision making. I'd just retired from the Fire Service and using some of my pension lump sum I could afford to buy a new Beach or a 3yr old, 2nd hand SE, without finance.
Last year we drove down into Croatia on our longest trip and together with our Outwell awning, we thought we had the perfect van for us. We have a Waeco 35l fridge, cooked everything outside on either our Cadac, single ring stove or BBQ. We stayed only on campsites and mostly on hook up.
This september we toured Scandinavia, never stopping anywhere for more than a night. Campsites and wild camping were a pretty even split. We didn't take our inflatable awning as it wasn't worth it for one night at a time camping.We had a webasto diesel heater retro fitted ready for our trip by Dirty Weekender in Worcester. It cost us £1100 fitted, (cheaper than factory specced extra for a Beach) but dosn't look factory......... It works great.
On our Scandinavia trip, 6 friends hired out a 180 SE & 180 SE 4motion from BMVS. We watched with a certain amount of envy, whilst they were able to cook in the vans, have a brew when it was raining and in general how more organised they could stay. We all cooked outside weather permitting. We came back seriously considering having a genuine 2nd hand SE kitchen fitted into ours ( cost approx £4500).The wardrobe really impressed us, something we'd never seen as an advantage.............However We've since been away again, with the inflatable awning, staying on campsites with hook up and We've been really happy with our Beach!
The biggest plusses for the 2 seater Beach is the downstairs bed, which is incredibly comfortable and having less to go wrong by only having a manual roof.
In my opinion, it comes down to how you intend to camp........The Beach needs a whole host of extras to make life comfortable and certain compromises do have to be made.

I am really impressed by the rapid response of the members and whether I buy a Beach or an Ocean, I am sure I am joining the right community and will meet many new friends on our travels.

The comments are helping very much but as a question is answered it leads to another which I hadn't thought of. I guess this is the fun of adapting a Cali to what you want out of life. I hadn't appreciated how slow an electric run kettle may be but I am reasonably certain that having space for 4 passengers and a loaded van (for weekends) or 6 passengers and a bit of kit (for day trips) might be the determining factor for us. Its not even about money, I just want the van that is most likely to suit our needs for most of the time. With either choice there will be compromises in certain situations. The proper size bed will be a bonus and I guess being able to brew a quick cuppa will have to be the victim. The van centre have recommended a retro fitter for the heater and its priced reasonably and is able to be timed etc.

Although I am swayed towards the Beach, please keep your comments coming in, I am learning loads and I'm sure other forum members are finding it really useful.

I take it that the VW dealer wants to shift the Beach they have in stock.
I'd be tempted to spec one with everything you want factory fitted and warrantied. With the 7/8% discount achievable you can (as I have) spec heater/privacy/awning/app connect etc and still not go over the list price for a beach.

Please keep the comments friendly folks. There was a similar thread a few months back that got a little nasty.
We have a SE but I can see the attraction of both vehicles. From a cost perspective whilst the Beach is obviously cheaper to buy initially, lifetime costs are far more important I think, in other words how much of your outlay will you get back if and when you sell. I don't know how the residual % of the Beach and SE compare, but my guess if that you would lose roughly the same amount on each, therefore the initial lower price is less critical (you need the money to buy in the first place of course!). The other point I would make is that speccing lots of options generally does not make the vehicle more valuable, so for example you are unlikely to see much of the £1,000 or so you would spend on speccing/putting a heater in a Beach. There are lots of very well maintained low mileage vans out there so I would not be put off buying second hand.
We are a family of 4 including two teenage girls and a dog and we manage fine with a SE. For short weekend trips we use it as it is. Downstairs bed a little cozy but we manage fine. For longer trips we have a separate 'awning' which allows us to empty the van and leave things on site.
We love the convenience of the fridge just being there, or gas on tap to heat something up without having to get out of the van, more so perhaps on days out than when on a campsite - very useful with a baby!
We are lucky that for us the Cali is a camper van, nothing else, used just for holidays and highdays. If I were looking at something as a daily driver, then I reckon a Beach may have suited better as you have the option to use it as a large car or add removable pods to turn it into a temporary camper.

We use our Beach everyday as our family car and specced it with all the options we would need. It's versatility does make it a true all round vehicle for us which we felt the SE would never be able to do. If we were only going to use a California as a holiday vehicle, I would have gone for an SE without doubt as I don't think you can match the "home comforts" in it. It is all about compromise and we have developed solutions with regards cooking, storing everything and being organised so that the Beach works for us when we use it in camper mode but can quickly be returned to "everyday mode" within 15 minutes.

Both the Beach and the SE have advantages as outlined above, but l would try to consider which model would suit you better without having to rely on a drive away awning. Although awnings add lots of extra space, they can be a pain to put up for one night, especially in rain or wind. They also take up quite a lot of space which might be needed for your pushchair and biking stuff.

Both the Beach and the SE have advantages as outlined above, but l would try to consider which model would suit you better without having to rely on a drive away awning. Although awnings add lots of extra space, they can be a pain to put up for one night, especially in rain or wind. They also take up quite a lot of space which might be needed for your pushchair and biking stuff.
Similar to what I was told when we were into caravanning. Get the caravan that the whole party can sleep in. The awning was for extended stays. Now caravan awnings are a bit more difficult to put up on a caravan than the modern driveway awnings, but if you depend on an awning it does limit you as to where you can stay e.g.: Britstops may be out, as well as wild camping in carparks etc:

The Comfortz awning panels that attach to the wind out awning are brilliant for one nighters. Up in 5 minutes with enough room to store your stuff or just to use a space to relax. Saves the hassle of the drive away awning which we is reserved for longer stays.

I'm sat at my local beach, nice and cosy, watching the waves crash in enjoying a cup of tea while the rain thunders down, on my iPad, and I haven't had to step outside the van since I arrived.
You must have been out to turn the gas on? ;)

Actually, I was wondering, can you use one of those cheap square gas cookers inside a Beach?

Yes we use one of those little cookers and it is fine. Boils the kettle in a few minutes. It goes on a small folding table and we have one of the sliding windows open for ventilation.

SE owner and love it, but I often think about a beach.

I am sure I could live without the storage, you can put more boxes in the boot in a beach, and the wardrobe in an SE is a nightmare - even with the extra shelves!
I could live without the cooker and sink - I do most of my cooking outside, and when it is horrid weather you could use a mini stove in a beach as discussed above.
The extra base spec (Heater, Inverter, and van spec) are nice, but I could work around most of them.
I really don't need a hydraulic roof!

The main thing I couldn't live without is the SE fridge - it is amazing in even Mediterranean heat. The after market fridges (even the VW ones) just don't appear to cut the mustard.

Loads of money to pay for a fridge though!

The Beach will also be more useful in van mode, and has a much bigger downstairs bed.

I think I would be happy with either. If I had a beach I would specify a hookup and leisure battery, not sure I would bother with a heater - we use the SE one just because it is there, but with 4 people inside it stays pretty warm without it (although we are not really hardcore winter campers....)

T

You must have been out to turn the gas on? ;)

Actually, I was wondering, can you use one of those cheap square gas cookers inside a Beach?
You can turn the gas on from inside. Slide seat forward, back down, rear wardrobe open etc:etc.

You can use a picnic or portable stove. When you have unpacked it and set it up on a flat surface.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know when the Coast will be available in the UK - reckon with the manual roof and scaled down fancy bits, this will widen the California appeal still further.

Does anyone know when the Coast will be available in the UK - reckon with the manual roof and scaled down fancy bits, this will widen the California appeal still further.
I'm not sure it's a 'when' more like an 'if'. I haven't heard of any plans to bring it over. I agree that it would be good if they did.

If you don't mind a LHD you can get them almost anywhere on the continent

Reimo used to offer a 'City' version of the Cali's side kitchen and wardrobe layout, in which the cupboards were about half the normal depth, and allowed a 3 seater bench.
I had a t4 version of it. It used one of those square, cartridge fuelled cookers, had on-board water and waste, tiny sink. It was too much of a compromise for me, but you can tell from my profile pic how much convenience I prefer.
Just shows this is a dilemma that's been wrestled with for a long time!

Both are great and only you know what suits. I would get parking sensors and ditch one of your cars, it's great having the van and using it, much better than leaving it stood for long periods, easy to drive and park, great vision. We went for a full width bed and a removable pod, seats and room used more than kitchen! Also you can expect someone wanting to come into your bed as they get older. Best advice I can give though is do what we did and hire an SE for the weekend and find out what works for you.

I have been told by VW that there are no plans currently to bring the Coast to the UK market.

I think the beach is best for your circumstances, the extra seating and room with a baby and occasional grandparents is more useful than a small bed, wardrobe and kitchen. There are all sorts of removable kitchen pods on the market to suit your changing needs. Heater and hookup recommended.

I'd be tempted to spec one with everything you want factory fitted and warrantied. With the 7/8% discount achievable you can (as I have) spec heater/privacy/awning/app connect etc and still not go over the list price for a beach.

Hi daveyboydanger. Which van centre did you use to buy your t6. Based on the comments I am perhaps going to see how cheap I can get my own spec t6 beach for instead of having an ex demo where you don't always have what you want and pay for others you wouldn't spec.

Hi daveyboydanger. Which van centre did you use to buy your t6. Based on the comments I am perhaps going to see how cheap I can get my own spec t6 beach for instead of having an ex demo where you don't always have what you want and pay for others you wouldn't spec.

We hired an SE first and we were smitten and bought one, hiring definitely recommended.....for us it works but we are just two of us (occasional trips with 'grown up' sons...space no problem). Did come close to getting a Beach but both will do the job....with young children it may be the requirement for extra seats will be useful but as others have said the heater makes whatever model you get a 365 days a year camper (ps...I'm not on the small side and the downstairs bed is absolutely fine, luxury if you are used to camping in a tent!). Good luck and enjoy !

Hi barticus.
I got mine from preston VW. Might be a trek for you!
I suppose an easy way to get a good deal is spec a van on drivethedeal or buyacar and then print it off and take it to your local dealer to match.

Just had a read through this one.
Points well argued from both camps. I have gone onto the Volkswagen site and specced up both an Ocean & Beach for what we need. As much as the base spec of an Ocean is far better than the Beach. Both vehicles always seem to have a £10k price gap, because options will always be added to both vehicles. Volkswagen are very clever.
I see some major plus points to the Ocean, but for us and how we camp and use our camper. I'm still in favour of the Beach.

I see a lot of Beach owners talk about removeable pods. I don't see the point. But hey ho. Each to their own.