Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Acquiring kit for a new van

mchbiker

mchbiker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have a T6 Ocean on order and now have the winter to plan for our adventures.

We have plenty of camping equipment but one item we need to get are saucepans. Does anyone have good recommendations for these? Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

We bought the Outwell Cuisine 5 piece set which all fits together and comes in a drawstring net bag - sits neat and tidy in the bottom cupboard but unfortunately they no longer seem to be available. There are plenty of similar sets about.

314Mneciy9L.jpg

Good luck planning your adventures :)

You want something like the above where they all fit inside each other and the handle(s) detach. We have the Outwell too, it would benefit from an additional handle though as only one comes with it.

Good luck and welcome to Cali living :thumb

Yes stackable, attachable handles & lids to reduce emissions....vital in a VW.

Have a look at the Tefal Ingenio range,they stack, have detatchable handles & can get some handy plastic lids to use them as storage. Look on amazon for for deals on sets rather than buying them all seperatley

We have the Outwell Feast set in medium, typically just 2 of us but they do a large set as well. They also do Collapse range, we have big bowls but they do a casserole and kettle etc.I keep the handles in the cutlery drawer as I don't like rattles! Also a roll of non stick foil is useful. We can do most things either in the van or out!

I think a lot depends on how many are there of you.

I went away with half the store of ingenue but then decided for just one of me it was overkill.

I now have a cheapie vango nesting set from go outdoors, about 20 quid, nasty horrible handles but fine if you remember they are nasty horrible handles.

Two adults and two kids.

Oh

Forget the Vango set then,

when it's more than just me I use this neat semi-nesting set that I used to take with me when backpacking:shocked

56234095_1_1000x700_catering-utensils-and-other-materials-bengaluru-2_Fotor.jpg

We use Ikea 365 saucepans, pasta pan and frying pan, never had a problem storing them and decent quality.

We use Ikea 365 saucepans, pasta pan and frying pan, never had a problem storing them and decent quality.
They look good, my other half always likes a stroll round Ikea. I'll get my map and compass ready for navigating back out of there. Cheers.

Yup we use ordinary house sized pans (not enormous ones obviously!). Cooking is as important in the van as it is at home (think of those wonderful cooking opportunities flowing from all those French markets!) and decent sized pans help with that. I guess it's part of the prioritising we all have to do when it comes to what to pack in a small van

We bought the Outwell Cuisine 5 piece set which all fits together and comes in a drawstring net bag - sits neat and tidy in the bottom cupboard but unfortunately they no longer seem to be available. There are plenty of similar sets about.

314Mneciy9L.jpg

Good luck planning your adventures :)
Ditto here though ours are blue. Have had ours 6 years since we bought the cali and they've been brilliant. The coating on the inside has starting wearing off now though and they're starting to stick. Or so the missus tells me!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Another vote for the Tefal ones: http://www.tefalingenio.co.uk/ very expensive for camping pots and pans, but top quality.

Quite a bit cheaper if you buy them in france - they are popular in most of the big hypermarkets.

I didn't know about the lids - something else to buy!!!!

T

Last edited:
With my continuing war on washing up I have gone almost completely disposable everything, cups, plates, cutlery,....

Flipping disposable plastic pans melted though :sad

Made a right mess of the burners ...

failed their emission tests because of it :shocked

Careful posting that kind of thing Jen - VW will use it as evidence of your blatant disregard for the environment :)

Forums have ears....

Careful posting that kind of thing Jen - VW will use it as evidence of your blatant disregard for the environment :)

Forums have ears....

Speak to my lawyers ...

"M Winterkorn associates ... honest brokers to an ethical world ..."

Yup we use ordinary house sized pans (not enormous ones obviously!). Cooking is as important in the van as it is at home (think of those wonderful cooking opportunities flowing from all those French markets!) and decent sized pans help with that. I guess it's part of the prioritising we all have to do when it comes to what to pack in a small van

I agree. I've tried various light weight / folding pans over the years. I found the ones with detachable 'clamp' like handles particularly annoying. Instead I've opted for ...

A decent non stick wok. It can be used for stir frying, making chilli, stews etc.

A two tier steamer. Pan can also be used as a pan (...wow) and the top as a strainer / colander.

Frying pan.

I've found most things can be cooked with these three.

I found a local independent homeware shop and it had a fantastic range of different sizes that fit in my cupboards. That was my T2....I hope they all fit in my Cali :headbang

Please dont ask about filling up with water, the debate last time raged for months, with one group insisting on fully sterilised lab conditions & the other group using any old bit of garden hose!!:).

We stock this pan set if your interested. They are £45 + P&P they do have removable handles (but very good quality one) and don't rattle around at all when packed away. We use them personally and find them very good :thumbbrunner pans.jpg

Back