Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2020 Cali

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Following some inheritance I am now able to widen my field for models with my budget now around £60k for which I hope to find a quite new Ocean.

When doing some shopping n Norwich this morning I called into local main dealer to see if they had anything; lo and behold they actually had one awaiting prep which came in at weekend - seller drove off in brand new cali. This one is a 70 Reg 150 psi DSG in the Ascot Grey. It is a T6.1 and so has LED lights etc and the new digital dash with pro media?? It's done about 15k miles and dealer said around £60k price. Spotless condition but no extras so only has the thin bed mattress in back and is running on 215/60 x 17 all season tyres.

Took it out for ride and it drove beautifully as I expected with plenty of power in the 150 engine but here's my rub. The ride surprised me in being quite firm and crashy making the bed section in back rattle whilst everything else was quiet. I was somewhat shocked as the ride in my T5 is far suppler; could it be because of the 215 tyres which run at much higher pressures?? When I changed from 16" steels with 215 tyres to 17" Davenports with 235 tyres ride was much nicer probably because they run much lower pressure. My other thoughts are does the price sound right as I will need to add a few things like a towbar (it doesn't have a rack and I don't want one). comfort mattress for lower bed, mudflaps (for looks and some protection) etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

I've been looking for a while and there are some sub-£60k T6.1s starting to appear, and not just ex-rental ones, so you can afford to be a little bit choosy. Personally, I'd try to get one with the sport pack as this has acoustic glass and a discernably quieter drive.

There's a lovely blue low mileage 22 Coast with LEDs here for £56k

Or a £59k Ocean:

A brand new California Surf on Drive the Deal is less than £62k with no options… just throwing in another option :)

Worth giving below a call. They had a lot of calis on the forecourt recently (most not on their website). Think they have an agreement with some dealers for used stock / hire companies:

15k miles is clearly low for 3 years+ so I’d expect it to be in good condition. Cali’s hold their value, and I guess you’ll be getting the main dealer warranty for 12 months, which will derisk for you. Check the van hasnt got an extended factory warranty.

I’ve heard from others also that the 215 tyres run hard, and upgrading to 235 softens the ride.

A brand new California Surf on Drive the Deal is less than £62k with no options… just throwing in another option :)
True, and I looked at that, however no LEDs or digidash, etc...

Not sure why anyone would want a tsi engine in a Transporter. Diesel offers more torque and better fuel economy and better suited for long range driving. And the Commercial service depts are going to be less familiar with it. Does the parking heater run off petrol?

Not sure why anyone would want a tsi engine in a Transporter. Diesel offers more torque and better fuel economy and better suited for long range driving. And the Commercial service depts are going to be less familiar with it. Does the parking heater run off petrol?
Yes, petrol heater.
No Webasto coolant heater No Adblue, No DPF and No EGR. There are advantages.

TSI engines are notorious for carbon build up. At least the TDI does something about it so long term its advantage
Disagree about the long term advantage considering the tdi problems relating to EGR, Adblue and DPF and petrol less likely to be penalised compared to diesel and its particulate emissions.

Disagree about the long term advantage considering the tdi problems relating to EGR, Adblue and DPF and petrol less likely to be penalised compared to diesel and its particulate emissions.
That’s a good point. You can still drive a 2006 petrol into ULEZ but a diesel has to be 2016.

Following some inheritance I am now able to widen my field for models with my budget now around £60k for which I hope to find a quite new Ocean.

When doing some shopping n Norwich this morning I called into local main dealer to see if they had anything; lo and behold they actually had one awaiting prep which came in at weekend - seller drove off in brand new cali. This one is a 70 Reg 150 psi DSG in the Ascot Grey. It is a T6.1 and so has LED lights etc and the new digital dash with pro media?? It's done about 15k miles and dealer said around £60k price. Spotless condition but no extras so only has the thin bed mattress in back and is running on 215/60 x 17 all season tyres.

Took it out for ride and it drove beautifully as I expected with plenty of power in the 150 engine but here's my rub. The ride surprised me in being quite firm and crashy making the bed section in back rattle whilst everything else was quiet. I was somewhat shocked as the ride in my T5 is far suppler; could it be because of the 215 tyres which run at much higher pressures?? When I changed from 16" steels with 215 tyres to 17" Davenports with 235 tyres ride was much nicer probably because they run much lower pressure. My other thoughts are does the price sound right as I will need to add a few things like a towbar (it doesn't have a rack and I don't want one). comfort mattress for lower bed, mudflaps (for looks and some protection) etc.

Thanks in anticipation.
Just paid £73k for brand new Ocean through Drive the Deal. Lots of extras, discounted from £84k

Just paid £73k for brand new Ocean through Drive the Deal. Lots of extras, discounted from £84k
Think £73 is a little bit too much - I could afford to but.................. there do seem to be afew around the £65k with quite a few extras - I'll know when I see the right one with right spec and I'll buy it.

We purchased new from Liverpool VW Commercial and know that they have several used Oceans around your price range.
Couldn’t speak highly enough about their service…. good luck hunting and no doubt we’ll soon be hearing of your purchase.

We purchased new from Liverpool VW Commercial and know that they have several used Oceans around your price range.
Couldn’t speak highly enough about their service…. good luck hunting and no doubt we’ll soon be hearing of your purchase.
Thank you. I'll check them out.

Swansway Birmingham have a two tone Ocean, 2022 + £62,991.
You could try for less, looks pretty good spec.

Swansway Birmingham have a two tone Ocean, 2022 + £62,991.
You could try for less, looks pretty good spec.
Thank you but i prefer one colour and have options of Ascot Grey, Indium grey or even Satrlight Blue but I know that's terrible to keep clean and scratch free. There's a nice Acupulco Blue one on here in Scotland that looks nice too

We have the Acapulco blue, very happy with the colour.

Back