Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rim comparison on my 08 California SE

J

JonnyH

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi Campers - my '08 California SE has OE 16" x 6.5 Miyato rims fitted with 215/65 16 tyres, I have the chance of a set of virtually new:
1. 16 x 6.6" Claytons fitted with new Hankook Vantra 205/65 16 tyres
2. 17 x 7 Davenports fitted new Continental Vanco 215/60 17 tyres

So: Has anyone swapped their 16" 215's for 16" 205 or 17: 215? If so what difference does it make to the way the van drives/handles/noise - I believe the smaller width tyres run greater pressures. (Oceans now come with 235 tyres on 17" rims) - what difference if any will I notice driving the van?

Thanks!!

Go for the larger Davenports with Continental tyres. We have done similar swap and tyres last far longer than the Hankook. Slightly better ride.Rims are also easier to clean.

I've been running Davenports with Continental tyres for years and lots of miles and always found them a good ride and good mileage.

Go for the larger Davenports with Continental tyres. We have done similar swap and tyres last far longer than the Hankook. Slightly better ride.Rims are also easier to clean.
Thank you - is that the 215 or 235 Conti's you run?

I've been running Davenports with Continental tyres for years and lots of miles and always found them a good ride and good mileage.
thanks - what width Conti's are you running, the 215 or 235?

I have both sizes on two sets of rims. The 16s categorically give a smoother quieter ride even on 103 load rating.

What you may find, as I did last week, for some reason (tyre guy was surprised too) is the 16” tyre prices for this type have gone through the roof and are quite tricky to get.

Having had Davenports with both 215 and 235 tyres, the 235’s are much, much better IMHO. Far superior ride quality.

thanks - what width Conti's are you running, the 215 or 235?
Mine are Continental Vancontact Eco 215/60 R 17 C which have currently done 21,000 miles and measure 5.5mm front & 6.0mm rear so I recon with care I will get at least 30,000 miles out of them.

Just as an aside to those who seem to 'eat' front brake pads & disks mine have done 81,000 miles and don't show any scoring of the disks. This is on a well loaded LWB High roof T32 Manual transmission. I've no doubt they will need replacement soon but are currently OK.

Just as an aside to those who seem to 'eat' front brake pads & disks mine have done 81,000 miles and don't show any scoring of the disks. This is on a well loaded LWB High roof T32 Manual transmission. I've no doubt they will need replacement soon but are currently OK.
Yeah, using the brakes is overrated.. they just slow you down :D

Back