Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your favourite Sausage?

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
I am partial to a nice sausage but there are so many around these days, I am now on a mission to find my perfect Sausage for home, Cali and BBQ.

We have tried quite a few recently from the main supermarkets but most seem to have excessive fat content ( not good for the Cali) So far my favourites are Heck Chicken Italia ( healthier and no fat ) and Debbie and Andrew 98% which again has less fat so perfect for cooking in the Cali.

What are your favourites?

Waitrose cumberland. Practically zero fat.

The bad news is 237 KCal per decent sandwich :(

Our local butchers "plain" homemade sausages are very good and are suitable for any cooking method. He also makes a pork and pimenton sausage in the chirizo style that are wonderful.
Got to dash, feeling the urgent need for pork related sustenance :upsidedown

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've yet to find a decent sausage from a supermarket.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that sausages should be stuffed with fat, salt and rusk and other loveliness, eaten occasionally (albeit in large volumes) and washed down with regular doses of exercise.

I am partial to a nice sausage but there are so many around these days, I am now on a mission to find my perfect Sausage for home, Cali and BBQ.

We have tried quite a few recently from the main supermarkets but most seem to have excessive fat content ( not good for the Cali) So far my favourites are Heck Chicken Italia ( healthier and no fat ) and Debbie and Andrew 98% which again has less fat so perfect for cooking in the Cali.

What are your favourites?

Pork and Marmite sausages from the local Butcher in Burley in Wharfedale. Good, lean Yorkshire pork, additive free and little fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try here:
http://www.cowmans.co.uk/
If you can't find a favourite from that lot then better give up.
Some nice sites around so as you will probably need a week or so to sample them all make a holiday of it.

Boston in Lincolnshire is the home of the Boston sausage.
There used to be a lot of pork butchers there and therefore a lot of competition for top porkers.
Mountains is one of the few remaining ones. Excellent butchers.
https://www.bostonsausage.co.uk
They have a 'stall' in Borough Market in London and also do mail order.
As well as a shop in Boston and one on the outskirts.

They're simply the best.
We visit Boston a few times a year and take supplies back to Glasgow.
Our kids and grandkids just love them.
The chipolatas are the best type.

You'd not want to eat them every day because like good sausages much of the taste comes from the fat but a treat every now and then makes them the best.

Last edited:
Mr Colliers, High Class Butcher, High St, Swadlincote. His pork sausage and his pork pies are to die for, yummy, yummy, yummy.

Not 100% sausage but I did have the nicest sausage roll ever when we were in the lake district earlier this year. It contained Cumberland sausage and was from a tiny shop in Grasmere. If I remember correctly it was called Lucia's.

Penrith market also an excellent source.

I used to buy black pudding from there and bring it home to Somerset. In the end I was having to order industrial quantities for friends, neighbours, family and even the local hotel.

Back