Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yet another tracker question!

L

lohr500

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our new Cali Ocean is on order, with a build/delivery date TBA. I suspect I am going to need an insurance approved tracker fitting to get insurance cover.

I would only be getting a tracker fitted to tick the insurance box, so ideally I would like one with the lowest ongoing monthly subscription cost which meets with insurance approval. Has anyone done some research on this. What's the lowest monthly subscription cost you have been able to find and for which tracker?

Cheers.

Our new Cali Ocean is on order, with a build/delivery date TBA. I suspect I am going to need an insurance approved tracker fitting to get insurance cover.

I would only be getting a tracker fitted to tick the insurance box, so ideally I would like one with the lowest ongoing monthly subscription cost which meets with insurance approval. Has anyone done some research on this. What's the lowest monthly subscription cost you have been able to find and for which tracker?

Cheers.
NFU did not require a tracker last October at purchase new nor again at renewal this September past. Though perhaps they will in time.

Cheers.
I’ve lost track of the number of threads on this!!
For the cheapest I can recommend ConnectMyCar. Scorpion is £480 and Vodafone £450. Both include one year contract in the price. They can fit at the dealer without any issues.

I’ve been with comfort insurance for last 4 years on my motorhome,(tracker required) Cali on order being built week 49. Rang comfort to get a quote they said needs a cat 7 tracker OR a thatchem 1 alarm. I said well I will get an alarm no subscription with that but then challenged this and they informed me the Cali has a Thatchem 1 alarm already so result is…. No need for a tracker or extra alarm. I’m 54 parked on drive overnight £375 happy with that

I’ve been with comfort insurance for last 4 years on my motorhome,(tracker required) Cali on order being built week 49. Rang comfort to get a quote they said needs a cat 7 tracker OR a thatchem 1 alarm. I said well I will get an alarm no subscription with that but then challenged this and they informed me the Cali has a Thatchem 1 alarm already so result is…. No need for a tracker or extra alarm. I’m 54 parked on drive overnight £375 happy with that
Are you confident in what they told you, I spoke to a very knowledgeable lady there and explained the above and she said I still need a cat 5 - 7 tracker installed ? My cali is also on order but I think week 43 build.

Cheers.
LV don't need a tracker.

I got a quote from Adrian Flux motorhome and the price includes a tracker.

LV don't need a tracker.
Many thanks didn't know they insured campers. I got a quote last night from LV but they were double the cost of Comfort for me sadly.....

Thanks for all the replies so far. Much appreciated.

Our cars are already insured by LV and when I contacted them for a quote yesterday, they advised that I would need a tracker fitting due to the value.

Will check out the other suggestions.

We’ve been with Comfort for 4 years and no tracker required. Previously with LV but decided to leave over debates on this forum re covering ‘habitation’ …. it appears from recent posts that this is still a ‘hot potato’.

Are you confident in what they told you, I spoke to a very knowledgeable lady there and explained the above and she said I still need a cat 5 - 7 tracker installed ? My cali is also on order but I think week 43 build.
What I can tell you is details of the tracker or alarm are mentioned in the docs they send you so as long as that matches what they told me then I’m happy. That said LV are £25 cheaper but personally would prefer to stay with comfort.

Just in case you need it here is the approval from Thatcham search for California. Apparently if you call VW they say direct insured to this document and that should be enough. Save the doc for proof and peace of mind and I think that’s all you can do. https://www.thatcham.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/October-2022-OE.pdf

week 43 I’m so jealous but week 49 coming up fast

Don't forget the Caravan & Motorhome Club, especially if you are or plan to be a member. I've been with them for 9 yrs. They know what the California is and how it is used. I also had excellent service 11+ yrs ago when a brand new 7 berth caravan was written off on its first journey. In 4 weeks I had a brand new replacement on the drive of next seasons model and an apology that it took so long. Premium increase by less than 10% this year after having fallen by over 15% over the past 2 years.

Cheers.
I felt the same about the tracker (tick box for insurance). I’ve ordered a Tracker Nano - Asset Tracking Device (S7) from Halfords. £114 including first years subscription. Not acceptable by Comfort Insurance but Caravan Guard do accept it and they offered me the next best quote. Now all I need is van to arrive!

Cheers.
Have you tried LV? Under £400 with NCD max. No requirement for extra security.

Comfort Insurance don't require a tracker on standard build California's. VW already meet Thatcham requirements. However if you decide to wrap it or fit not standard alloys then that may be a different issue. Only down side is vehicle must not be left unattended for more than 48 hours (except on your driveway) without telling them. This hasn't been an issue for me but others seem to think it is.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cheers.
Am I correct in summarising that you (and many others in this thread) think that trackers are not of much use except to satisfy insurance companies' requirements? Why would the insurers have that requirement unless they believed that they worked and if so, why wouldn't you want to get the best one available (within reason) as opposed to the cheapest?

My insurance does not say i need one, but I fitted one anyway for my own piece of mind ( rewire security) as it also monitors my battery , as mine is not near the house and does not get used a great deal

Am I correct in summarising that you (and many others in this thread) think that trackers are not of much use except to satisfy insurance companies' requirements? Why would the insurers have that requirement unless they believed that they worked and if so, why wouldn't you want to get the best one available (within reason) as opposed to the cheapest?
I had a very expensive tracker fitted to my Land Rover Defender ten years ago when I bought it. Within 8 weeks it had been stolen from my private drive and was never seen again. The tracker apparently went off line around the time of night that I think it disappeared based on the home CCTV footage. Could have been an inside job I suppose with leaked data from the local firm who fitted the tracker, but we will never know. Or possibly jammed somehow?

So I have a very jaded view on trackers.

I am sure that trackers do help in recovering many vehicles, so I can see why the Insurance Companies insist on them being fitted. Perhaps also the technology has improved making them harder to disable

However, if someone stole my Cali (or Defender), abused it and thrashed it to death on the way to wherever it was going to be broken for spares, exported or ringed, then I'm not sure I would want it back anyway.

Cheers.
Our dealer fitted a Vodafone tracker, never worked further than 300yds from home, had them remove it , insured with NFU who don’t require one

I’ve had a quote this week from both Comfort and LV. No tracker required but alarm is.

Have you tried LV? Under £400 with NCD max. No requirement for extra security.
I'm hoping I can stay with LV as we already have a multi car policy with them for two vehicles and the Cali will be replacing one of the vehicles. Their provisional quote last week was very competitive. Once we get closer to a firm delivery date I will check with them again to make sure they are providing a campervan quote and what, if any, trackers they need.

I’ve had a quote this week from both Comfort and LV. No tracker required but alarm is.
I think it may be down to the value being over £75k, I've also had a quote of VW insurance and they're also insisting on a tracker, but bizarrely for their 5 day drive away insurance they're not!?

To answer the original question, with a question. How long do you plan on keeping your van? If you’re looking to keep it for 5 years or more, and you can stand the up front cost, Scorpion do a deal with a single up front premium for life (5 years +). When we looked, that was the best deal for us, especially now with inflation as it is.

To answer the original question, with a question. How long do you plan on keeping your van? If you’re looking to keep it for 5 years or more, and you can stand the up front cost, Scorpion do a deal with a single up front premium for life (5 years +). When we looked, that was the best deal for us, especially now with inflation as it is.
Thanks for that. We are planning on keeping the van for a long time, so perhaps a one off lifetime subscription is the way to go :thanks

Back