Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

I liked the bit where he looked at the Beach and laughed because someone had forgotten to fold the middle seat before putting the bed down.
And yes, it really is laughable!!!

Maybe that’s the closest he gets to criticising VW, when editing the video he may have learned that the crazy seat origami on the new Beach is a design decision and left it in the video!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It also seems to be that T7 Beach is step backwards in the versatility. The seats ballet to unfold the bed. Kitchen seems to be not removable, means the trunk space is significantly restricted. And apparently no 6-seater version with the kitchen? The only plus is PHEV drivetrain, which is a huge step forward for having Beach as a single car in the family...

It also seems to be that T7 Beach is step backwards in the versatility. The seats ballet to unfold the bed. Kitchen seems to be not removable, means the trunk space is significantly restricted. And apparently no 6-seater version with the kitchen? The only plus is PHEV drivetrain, which is a huge step forward for having Beach as a single car in the family...
Yes, but will they do it in Cherry Red?
;)

You can always buy a 6th seat for the Beach Camper separately and plop it into the rail. Also the multi table if you wanted... anything Multivan really.

That's my understanding as well that the kitchen in the Beach Camper can't be removed. If I were to get one it would be the Tourer (I don't care about the "camper" registration) without the kitchen and then organise it myself for camping.

Well, my T6.1 2 seater beach can have a fifth and sixth seat easily, all the storage units lift out in seconds, and if you want you can convert it to a seven seater, or takeball the seats out. Meanwhile the cooker and the gas are nearly hidden away in the door, and you can make a cup of tea in bed, or set up an cook indoors in the rain. The new beach is hopeless. Inferior in almost every way. I can't believe you can't even remove the cooker unit. And that middle seat open and up in the middle....what's that about? In the 'old' beach you have a good amount of space with the bed up and the front seats turned round. The ocean is poor, but this beach is a mess.

Not beach related, but one of the things I personally enjoy most about the previous models is that they are based on vans. I love the road-dominating high up seating position and the fact you are near the nose of the vehicle. I like being above light dazzle at night. I just like driving a van. When I pull up next to T7s you are a head higher and you look down on them. The new California is longer, wider and lower. Vital space lost inside. Less road clearance too. It's a hard no from me all round, aside from all the ridiculous interior design choices, loss of storage and sliding tables etc.

Last edited:
I can’t believe people are really interested in a Hybrid…?
Either go full EV or don’t bother. Solid state batteries are just around the corner. I’ll drive diesel’s until they turn up…

I can’t believe people are really interested in a Hybrid…?
Either go full EV or don’t bother. Solid state batteries are just around the corner. I’ll drive diesel’s until they turn up…
Not everyone's reasons are the same. If I were to decide in favour of a T7 Ocean it would have to be the PHEV model because of 4Motion. I wouldn't consider it for economic or political motives.

Not everyone's reasons are the same. If I were to decide in favour of a T7 Ocean it would have to be the PHEV model because of 4Motion. I wouldn't consider it for economic or political motives.

I would instead opt for a dual motor EV, just a shame they don't make one…

Last edited:
But do you get continuous 4Motion drive? If so how ?

But do you get continuous 4Motion drive? If so how ?
This is my concern. How are the two drivetrains integrated. Will the 4 wheel drive system be active and operate on the road as and when needed. Electronic differential? It almost like two vehicles stuck together, an ICE at the front and BEV at the rear. I'm yet to be convinced this will be as effective and as versatile as 4Motion.

This is my concern. How are the two drivetrains integrated. Will the 4 wheel drive system be active and operate on the road as and when needed. Electronic differential? It almost like two vehicles stuck together, an ICE at the front and BEV at the rear. I'm yet to be convinced this will be as effective and as versatile as 4Motion.
Maybe it’s more of a ‘get out of a muddy field’ mode… :mute

Back