Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why its sometimes better to put up with minor faults

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
ON Monday this week my MY21 Ocean was due to go back into VW to have two outstanding items from its last visit remedied.

I joked on Sunday night that i might leave it as each time it goes it it comes back in a worse state, but at the allocated time it went in.

The vehicle was first in in January for its first service and to look at a few issues:-

• Table leg hinge cracking
  • Catch on hob lid not working ( since new)
  • SOS warning message
  • ACC braking when approaching cars on my left hand side making it impossible to overtake with the system ( while this was intermittent it happens at least once a week and when it does its continual for hours at a time)
  • Roof sagging on passenger side.
The conclusions from the visit were as follows

• Table to be replaced under warranty
  • Hop catch to be replaced but this would require the removal of the hob
  • SOS software updated ( made no difference fault still exists to this day
  • ACC no fault found and its a rock solid system ( despite me showing footage of it happening)
  • Roof sagging is apparently within tolerance despite the lights going off and the console saying intermediate position.
Fast forward to march and the Van goes back for the new table and new hob catch. Also asked them to investigate drivers side door which since it last visit no longer closes properly.

Received a phone call on Wednesday to say the table was two inches too long and would no longer fold back into its location, Parts department said their was only one size of table so would need to investigate with germany and have refitted the original table while they investigate.

The hob catch had been replaced but the van needed a gas safety check so was being sent to a local Motorhome shop and should be back Wed evening.

Wed evening received a call from VW to say the Motorhome service engineer could not find the key to my gas locker and i would need to provide the key before they could perform the work. I explained to VW they were talking nonsense and questioned the experience of the engineer, who it turns out was trying to open the safe in the wardrobe to get to the gas.

Friday got a call to say the Van was ready to collect, and i had 30 minutes to get their before they closed for the weekend.

• Invoice stated new hob fitted, and new tap. (questioned the tap and they were not sure why it was on the invoice but i do indeed have a new tap.
  • They are going to call me once they have an answer on the table replacement
  • Door still doesn't close properly unless i slam it
  • ACC and SOS issues still present
  • Roof not looked at on this visit due to lack of time
And to top it off the new issue i have is netiehr the tap or the shower attachment are working. The pump is not running.

Much as i do need water, i wish to avoid going into VW to fix this one for fear of what I may get back, so if anyone has any advice on how to bring the system back to life it would be much appreciated.

ON Monday this week my MY21 Ocean was due to go back into VW to have two outstanding items from its last visit remedied.

I joked on Sunday night that i might leave it as each time it goes it it comes back in a worse state, but at the allocated time it went in.

The vehicle was first in in January for its first service and to look at a few issues:-

• SOS warning message
  • ACC braking when approaching cars on my left hand side making it impossible to overtake with the system ( while this was intermittent it happens at least once a week and when it does its continual for hours at a time)

• ACC no fault found and its a rock solid system ( despite me showing footage of it happening)
  • Roof sagging is apparently within tolerance despite the lights going off and the console saying intermediate position.
Fast forward to march and the Van goes back for the new table and new hob catch. Also asked them to investigate drivers side door which since it last visit no longer closes properly.

Received a phone call on Wednesday to say the table was two inches too long and would no longer fold back into its location, Parts department said their was only one size of table so would need to investigate with germany and have refitted the original table while they investigate.

The hob catch had been replaced but the van needed a gas safety check so was being sent to a local Motorhome shop and should be back Wed evening.

Wed evening received a call from VW to say the Motorhome service engineer could not find the key to my gas locker and i would need to provide the key before they could perform the work. I explained to VW they were talking nonsense and questioned the experience of the engineer, who it turns out was trying to open the safe in the wardrobe to get to the gas.

Friday got a call to say the Van was ready to collect, and i had 30 minutes to get their before they closed for the weekend.

• Invoice stated new hob fitted, and new tap. (questioned the tap and they were not sure why it was on the invoice but i do indeed have a new tap.
And to top it off the new issue i have is netiehr the tap or the shower attachment are working. The pump is not running.

Much as i do need water, i wish to avoid going into VW to fix this one for fear of what I may get back, so if anyone has any advice on how to bring the system back to life it would be much appreciated.
The gas key part is funny, the rest is sad. What a mess. I'm guessing they can't work on a California. Good luck and success!

• SOS warning message

What a nightmare.

With regards to the tap pump not running, have you checked the control panel?
On one occasion I had filled the tank half full for a day out and when I came to run the tap.....nothing. Could hear clicking, but the pump wouldn't run. Friends that we had with us were insisting I must have blown a fuse and I was convinced I must have an air lock. Later, packing up, I pushed the control panel out of curiosity of battery levels etc and there was an error message telling me to fill the tank ( I knew there was roughly half a tank in there - so must have some air trapped). Tapped "ok" to accept the msg - Tried the tap again and away it went.
Fingers crossed its something simple like that !

There is a "feature" which disable the tap if the water tank is empty. Filling the tank unfortunately doesn't seem to enable the tap. I had this problem.

To fix it, fill with water, attach the shower to the outlet at the back, run the shower until water comes out ... then the tap will work. This solved the problem on mine.

... as for the rest, sorry to hear you're having so many problems.

Come on , be reasonable what did you want for 80 thousand quid?
I had the same but it only cost me 44 thousand..

Just reinforces the view that a lot of dealers don't know a** from elbow when it comes to the Cali. It's perhaps unrealistic to expect every van (or car) to come off the line completely fault-free, but you'd expect any issues to be dealt with competently.

Ref the ACC fault, I had the same issue on a Golf hire car last year. By default the VW system won't let you undertake, but part way into my journey it stopped letting me overtake, as you described (but it would now let me undertake). Coincidentally, the speed sign recognition also switched to kph. On passing a national speed limit sign on a dual carriageway it (correctly) displayed "70" on the dash, but automatically braked to 44mph (70kph). Scary stuff until I realised what was triggering it. The combination of the two suggested it had somehow tripped into "European mode". It reset when I stopped at the services, but as a hire car it wasn't my problem to sort. Don't know if that will help with the diagnosis though.

Back