Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

How long does a military 24v kettle take to boil?

My 12v kettle takes about 30 minutes to boil 750ml.
I can't really remember cos it was insulated and once we were away on the road it was kept permanently hot. In the morning you had to dilute the water with some cold to make it cool enough to shave in. War winning kit.

I can't really remember cos it was insulated and once we were away on the road it was kept permanently hot. In the morning you had to dilute the water with some cold to make it cool enough to shave in. War winning kit.

I have heard it said that it is the item that excites Ukrainian fighters most about the Challenger 2 tank. A shame they weren’t delivered before winter set in.

Some used electric cars appear to have tanked in price. I read this is partly due to diesel prices falling, and electric prices rising. Not sure if that’s true but the £21k 2019 i3s I was looking at are now £16k. Quite a drop.

You can also get 71 reg Mazda MX30s for £14k with under 10,000 miles. That’s a very reasonably priced electric car.

Some used electric cars appear to have tanked in price. I read this is partly due to diesel prices falling, and electric prices rising. Not sure if that’s true but the £21k 2019 i3s I was looking at are now £16k.

You can also get 71 yr Mazda MX30s for £14k with under 10,000 miles. That’s a very reasonably priced electric car.

Yep, fall they certainly did! Not sure about the rest of the market but I follow used Tesla prices.

A few reasons for the price drop as far as I could tell:

- The Tesla Model 3's were released in 2019, so by 2022 loads came off at lease at once (3 year leases) and the market was flooded.
- Electric prices went up massively
- Tesla dropped the prices of their new cars

A used 2021 Long Range Model 3 for example dropped from £47k to £37k almost overnight.

You can now buy a Model 3 Performance which is faster than most supercars (should you car about that kind of thing) for £25k, they are incredible cars which can also be taken on a track.

A better alternative to the Ami, with a more practical range (150 miles) and top speed 55mph)?
https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino
Fantastic! The problem is in some countries you have to park alongside the road and not transverse even if your (microlino, Smart first series) car lenght is smaller than the width of a regular parking bay. Silly law...
But i like it, It is like a modern Isetta.

Tesla model 3 here, best car I've had hands down, supercharger network makes long distance touring here in Sweden so easy.
But are you being charged a whopping 67p per KwH to charge it as we are in the UK? In my view, this has priced a Tesla out of the options for non commercial or lease drivers. Based upon a generous 3miles per kWh, this means you're paying a massive 22p per mile - almost 60% more than a decent 2l Diesel ICE equivalent!

Unless you can use a home charger for sub 40p per kWh price, it just doesn't make sense economically to me.

Some used electric cars appear to have tanked in price. I read this is partly due to diesel prices falling, and electric prices rising. Not sure if that’s true but the £21k 2019 i3s I was looking at are now £16k. Quite a drop.

You can also get 71 reg Mazda MX30s for £14k with under 10,000 miles. That’s a very reasonably priced electric car.
I noticed the 19 and 20 plate e-Golfs are now around £13k too. These are very very good value cars with an 8 year battery warranty. A lovely drive too.

But are you being charged a whopping 67p per KwH to charge it as we are in the UK? In my view, this has priced a Tesla out of the options for non commercial or lease drivers. Based upon a generous 3miles per kWh, this means you're paying a massive 22p per mile - almost 60% more than a decent 2l Diesel ICE equivalent!

Unless you can use a home charger for sub 40p per kWh price, it just doesn't make sense economically to me.

Home charging = 7.5p per kWh

Only with the very, very cheapest off peak Octopus tariff. And my experience was that you pay much more than usual for the rest of your electricity then.

My reply was actually in regard to a Tesla owner and using their network - you'd struggle to get a Tesla charged between midnight and 5AM on a 3-pin charger, or even a 7.5kWh wall charger if using a lot.

The theory is often not delivered in practice with EVs, I have found. And don't even get me started on winter range loss!

Only with the very, very cheapest off peak Octopus tariff. And my experience was that you pay much more than usual for the rest of your electricity then.

My reply was actually in regard to a Tesla owner and using their network - you'd struggle to get a Tesla charged between midnight and 5AM on a 3-pin charger, or even a 7.5kWh wall charger if using a lot.

The theory is often not delivered in practice with EVs, I have found. And don't even get me started on winter range loss!

You would only need a full charge if you drove 270 miles everyday.

So if I’m being charged 31pence per kWh and an i3 does 4 miles per kWh, thats 7.75 pence per mile and my 20 mile return commute would cost me £1.55.
Is that correct?
But you’re saying I should switch to an off peak tariff?

You would only need a full charge if you drove 270 miles everyday.
Again, you're quoting the best theoretical case scenario which is unrealistic in real life.. In the winter, and when using heater and heated seats, it's much, much less on a relatively new Model Y, and much worse on earlier Model S and even the early Model 3.

So if I’m being charged 31pence per kWh and an i3 does 4 miles per kWh, thats 7.75 pence per mile and my 20 mile return commute would cost me £1.55.
Is that correct?
But you’re saying I should switch to an off peak tariff?
For a 20 mile daily commute, stay with the regular tariff. The quoted 7.5p Octopus EV off peak tariff has the problem of raising ALL other electricity costs so is not recommended for such low usage.

As a rule of thumb, you get 3 miles per kWh if you include the winter range loss (more in summer / less in winter and as long as you're below 40p per kWh, then you're beating the cost of running the same miles in an ICE vehicle. I've spent some years investing in PV and researching EV ranges and annual costs versus ICE cars.

For a 20 mile daily commute, stay with the regular tariff. The quoted 7.5p Octopus EV off peak tariff has the problem of raising ALL other electricity costs so is not recommended for such low usage.

As a rule of thumb, you get 3 miles per kWh if you include the winter range loss (more in summer / less in winter and as long as you're below 40p per kWh, then you're beating the cost of running the same miles in an ICE vehicle. I've spent some years investing in PV and researching EV ranges and annual costs versus ICE cars.
I’ve just been looking at Intelligent Octopus again. 7.5p/kWh at night and 30p/kWh in the day. Even the day time rate is cheaper than my current tariff. That rate has definitely not been hiked. They certainly used to hike the other rates but not with this tariff and 7.5p/kwh is insanely cheap for your EV charging, even with increased winter costs.

I was very sold on this chaps long term i3 report
Seemed very genuine and claimed I think a consistent 4.5miles per kWh over 30,000 miles or so.
I’m very struck by how many people visibly love their i3.

This is basically the same car. Pre 2017 no car tax. £11,700

I was very sold on this chaps long term i3 report
Seemed very genuine and claimed I think a consistent 4.5miles per kWh over 30,000 miles or so.
I’m very struck by how many people visibly love their i3.

This is basically the same car. Pre 2017 no car tax. £11,700
Yes, the i3 is a very, very narrow car and I believe the better infotainment upgrade starts around 2018/2019, so I wouldn't go for an older one. Also, be aware that some of them have 'range extenders' which is actually a petrol engine, so not all are pure EVs. The EV i3s and new Ioniqs with heat pumps to condition the battery in winter are genuinely achieving north of 3.8 miles per kWh all year round. You'd need to be very frugal on heating and cooling to get over 4 though.

Back