Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When are the best sales/discounts on camping gear?

JollyGoodShow

JollyGoodShow

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We have a new Ocean on order, with delivery expected around March. As everyone does, we are endlessly window shopping for accessories etc.

We’ve heard the advice not to buy too much before we’ve tried everything, but we do like a bargain and suspect that now through January could be cheaper than if we wait until the summer.

Many of you are old hands and will have seen the cycles of sales and new product launches, so can you please advise me when the main sales are likely to be?

I’m seeing nice discounts of the Khyam drive away awnings now, but it’s a long time until we’d be able to test our purchases.

There is a minimum of equipment that you will absolutely need in order to comfortably sleep and wake in your camper once you get it. Bedding, before bed snacking, breakfast, gas, towels...
There are items you use to maintain the van, simple cleaning items like dust pans, snow brush with reach, stepping stool for roof, seat covers, dog restraining system, EHU cables...
You won't suffer unduly if you don't have specialty cooking items, coffee solutions, drive away awnings, toilets, solar panels, etc on your first trip.

Bargain season comes along every year and there are lots of people selling second hand stuff that they ended up not needing all year around.

Far cheaper to buy second-hand. Lots of
people buy brand new kit, use it a few times and then decide its not for them. Winter is a good time to buy as they might be clearing up loft / garage and after some pre Christmas cash!

That way if something doesn't work out for you, just sell again at the same price.

I ordered in July 2021 and finally took delivery in October 2022. I made a list of what I thought I'd want including different variants / manufacturers along with the prices. Spent a lot of it thinking about if I really wanted / needed it along with what I had already I could re-use an stuff I could stick on eBay.

Bought stuff slowly in that time, I kept an eye on the prices and what offers were happening, also took into account offers with bonus Nectar points for example, and cash back sites like Top Cash Back or Quidco.

I wouldn't say there's a particular time but around now is when a lot of places start clearing stock for next year. It's also when a the manufacturers start placing orders on their ranges to be manufactured ready for next year so you can sometimes get pre-order deals if you pay now for delivery later. I got a particularly good deal on the forthcoming 2022 model of a Vango awning around Black Friday 2021 and had to wait a month or so for delivery. Tested it on it's own in the garden once we had some decent weather and actually camped in it before I had the van.