Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What will happen now when 2G/3G networks will shut down?

P

Persko

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
I just bought a 6.1 Ocean but realized that the 2G/3G connection will soon stop working. That will of course have an impact on the on-line services like emergency call, map upgrades and app functionality like readi g car status etc. Does anyone know what will happen in detail? I can't really find any official information from VW. It also means that VW no longer will be able to track my car, which is a good thing ;-)

Hi,
I just bought a 6.1 Ocean but realized that the 2G/3G connection will soon stop working. That will of course have an impact on the on-line services like emergency call, map upgrades and app functionality like readi g car status etc. Does anyone know what will happen in detail? I can't really find any official information from VW. It also means that VW no longer will be able to track my car, which is a good thing ;-)
I suggest you ask the European Commission as it is their legal requirement on All new vehicles since 2018.
VW, and others, have just been what they have told.

Having spent the last hour searching the web for info on this, I am none the wiser.
There seems to be a view that only vehicles built before 2021 may be affected but I can find nothing definitive.
To reiterate the OP's question, and given the potential impact, does ANYONE have an informed answer?
:help

It is my understanding that 3G switch began in some areas early last year but 2G is likely to continue for a lot longer (don't have to comply with the switch off until 2033).

I have a 2022 but is under the impression that the car is equipped with 2/3G. I hope I’m wrong but probably not. Many things are old on this car so why expect an upgraded connection?

The "3G" module in the 6.1 is an e-sim.

"An embedded sim (eSIM) based on the eUICC standards is a hardware-based sim card that acts like a regular sim card and is universally compatible with any mobile carrier or technology (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, LTE, NB-IoT, etc.). Also, the eSIM can support multiple carrier profiles simultaneously."

It is my understanding that 3G switch began in some areas early last year but 2G is likely to continue for a lot longer (don't have to comply with the switch off until 2033).
Yep 2G will be around for ages in part because the banking ATM network uses 2G hence the lengthy switch off period

"An embedded sim (eSIM) based on the eUICC standards is a hardware-based sim card that acts like a regular sim card and is universally compatible with any mobile carrier or technology (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, LTE, NB-IoT, etc.). Also, the eSIM can support multiple carrier profiles simultaneously."
Interesting.
Does this imply that the ‘3G sim’ will continue to operate once the 3G signal is withdrawn?
Forgive my ignorance.

eSIM's can support all those technologies but you also need the relevant hardware to make it work (chipset, antenna etc.) If this isn't present then it would need parts upgrading/replaced to work in the future.

eSIM's can support all those technologies but you also need the relevant hardware to make it work (chipset, antenna etc.) If this isn't present then it would need parts upgrading/replaced to work in the future.
Why I said 6.1. Not sure personally what is in the other models. The OP’s 6.1 will be fine for quite some time.

Last edited:
Back