Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to leave in the Cali upon our return home, advice please

Z

zododo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello All, just back from a weeks first trip in our Cali, picked her up sat morning from the dealers and was away on Sunday, had a great trip to Pembrokeshire and the Brecons, now home and have van to sort, What do people leave in their vans, Is bedding ok to leave or does it feel damp? What if any foods supplies do you leave in yours? Thanks for previous advice on storage bags and dimensions for wardrobe bought packing cubes and were great.
Not really sunk in yet that she's all ours, maybe once we've cleaned her up at the weekend, can't wait for next trip away.

All bedding stays in - it stays perfectly dry, but we have big clear zip up bags for our bedding anyway from Ikea (we used to have a caravan, and found that the bedding when stored under the seats sometimes felt a bit cold/damp during the winter, and that's when we bought the Ikea bags). We have a kind of 'skeleton' set of everything which lives in the van - 2 plates, 2 mugs etc etc, small bottles of cooking oil, ketchup. All clothes come back out and any food that didn't get consumed. But that's just us. There was a previous thread on here where people seem to leave their vans loaded up with all sorts permanently.

Depends on what you carry in the first place . I read here some never cook in the Cali so they wont be carring much food i suppose.
Also how long before your next trip ?
Is your Cali parked on the street or in a storage ?
Do you use it as daily driver?

All depends on what u use and how you use your Cali .

Offcoarse all wet and damp things like awning and topper must go out and dry , duvets or sleepingbags ventilated or washed .
Watertanks emptyed
And so on ...

I've taken to leaving in: all cooking items (pans, cutlery, plates etc), basic supplies (tea, coffee, some sealed snacks and pasta and sauce, baked beans). Cleaning items, chargers, rug, games all stay in.

All clothes come out, toiletries come out but I'm sure to restock my bag to ensure I can grab and go when repacking. Bedding comes out to be washed and then repacked in bags ready to grab and go.

Depends on when you are going again ;-)

We leave almost everything in. Except for food that is easily contaminated (i.e. Milk, Bread, Fruit and Veggies). But on the other hand, sometimes we leave the fridge on for weeks in a row. If we go now and then even milk stays in the cooler.

Bedding, kitchen accessories, camping stuff, extra toilette utensils all stays in at all times. Only take out extra gas, grill, etc. when I need the space. Seasonal stuff gets in and out occasionally. So my flippers just left the van and the drive away awning vent in …

The funny part is, that the boxes for cheese, charcuteries, butter, etc. in our home fridge have changed, so they now fit in the Cali-cooler. So we are sort of all time as prepared as possible to do an impulsive trip … that is the whole idea in our way.

Sometimes the Cali has been our to-go-backup-stock for tooth paste, washing soap, toilet paper, ea, etc. …

Our van is a daily drive and we are retired.
All ready to go Just add
  • Grab bag with bedding in
  • Clothes (although coats and wet gear in van)
  • Milk (couple of meals tin/dry meals stay in van)
Ready to go in 1/2 hour quicker if have to evacuate area.

My Cali is my daily driver, however I do leave the following stuff in it all year round:

Sleeping bags and blankets.
Waterproof coats, a few fleeces and walking boots.
Micro fleece towels, toiletries, first aid kit (for the kids as much as anything)
Pack of cards, travel scrabble, that kind of stuff.
Cutlery, plates, cooking utensils etc.
Dried and tinned food, tea, coffee, sugar etc. Always have a tin of soup and rice pudding in the van for those impromptu stops!

I have separate camping boxes that stay in the shed and can simply thrown in the back when we go away. These have in them:

240v cable, mallet & pegs, storm straps, solar lights for the awning, small pup tent, plastic watering can for topping up the water on-site. Small outdoor rug for putting in front of the sliding door. In another box I have the air-pump and air bed that my daughter uses in her pup-tent, and the Decathlon tarp that I attach to the awning for some extra space/protection.

We use ours as much for days out as anything else so I always like to have stuff in it for a cuppa/soup/snack as well as waterproof clothing etc.

I use e-bags for all our clothes, they are by far the best invention, ever! Colour coded so we know who’s is who, and different sizes for smalls, t-shirts and tops, hoodies and trousers. They’re great as they can be stuffed anywhere. I use a spare one for dirty washing.

You’ll find your own way, the more you camp the less you’ll take! Enjoy!

I place 2 x Disposable Humidifiers in the California. I use it all year round, and you would be surprised how much water they collect - about 500+ mls every 3 months less in summer and more in winter.

I came to think about there might be a difference of what Ocean/Coast owners and Beach owners leave in there calis …

Last edited:
I usually washes everything up in our dishwasher when I arrive home somit all goes out. I have been considering leaving stuff so I can make some coffe when on a small trip but hasnt done it yet.

I came to think about there might be a difference of what Ocean/Coast owners and Beach owners leave in there calis …

As a Beach owner.
I leave bedding, unless it needs washing.
I have a couple of camping boxes, which go back to the shed and a Weber gas BBQ .
Empty fridge and clothes.

Everything else, torches etc. Stay.

I leave enough in to be able to jump in and head off into the sunset without thinking, if necessary.

Either left in, or washed and put back straight in:

Bedding:

Change of clothes: outdoor shoes: soft indoor ones: Waterproofs:

Toiletry bag, medicines and first aid.

My "wild-camp" bag consisting of wet wipes, face wipes, etc: Towels: BIAB receptacles,

All cooking stuff:

Tea, coffee, packet soups, energy bars,

Almost as pleasant as going away in Albert is the return and "turn-round". Van cleaned, disposable items topped up, Van specific soft items washed and put back in, cutlery and plates fed through the dishwasher and straight back in, etc:

It's almost therapeutic to sit there, in moments of stress, or when tired and busy, to look out of the window and see a camper that you know is prepped and ready to go at a moments notice. I call Albert my sanity valve.

Last edited:
Keep it simple - just don't return home ... ;)

For me, the ritual of de-cluttering/cleaning the van and leaving it ready for the next adventure is perfect closure for the trip just finished.
The simple option would be GREAT :thumb but back to reality, off again soon and hoping to use throughout the winter so wanting to leave as much in as possible.

Thanks everyone for your responses, we don't use daily so want to leave it ready for a quick getaway should we fancy it but didn't want to leave bedding in if it gets damp, shall be investing in a bedding bag. The rest of the info was great too. Loving this forum so many helpful members:happy

Thanks everyone for your responses, we don't use daily so want to leave it ready for a quick getaway should we fancy it but didn't want to leave bedding in if it gets damp, shall be investing in a bedding bag. The rest of the info was great too. Loving this forum so many helpful members:happy

My bedding is in the van all year round and I've never ever had a damp problem.

I do use Albert all year round so it is nearly always heated. Also I do not drain the water down during the winter, if risk of frost then I simply leave the van heater on. That helps keep everything dry .

I've taken to leaving in: all cooking items (pans, cutlery, plates etc), basic supplies (tea, coffee, some sealed snacks and pasta and sauce, baked beans). Cleaning items, chargers, rug, games all stay in.

All clothes come out, toiletries come out but I'm sure to restock my bag to ensure I can grab and go when repacking. Bedding comes out to be washed and then repacked in bags ready to grab and go.
That sounds about spot on for us too.

Always prepped and ready to go. Just add milk, eggs, butter and clothes. And Zebedee is my daily driver

Back