Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What they didn't tell me before I bought a T6.1

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Ok these are all the little downsides to a T6.1 ocean that I hadn't really appreciated before I bought one:

The loss of the drivers footrest, I knew it was missing, I hadn't realised that the space it took up had disappeared as well, its as if the whole centre console has expanded to the right by about 3 inches.

The rear cup holders, my kids loved the rear cup holders & used them all the time, we had managed to obtain a couple of the "baskets" that were specified on an Amorak which gave ours a bottom to stop things falling through. The groove on the front of the kitchen has changed so the T6 ones don't fit. I need to think of an alternative

Theres no groove on the side of the kitchen unit facing the passenger seat - I can't use my corner shelf! there's nowhere to fix it & the door lock button has disappeared.

Carpets. OK I had suspected I needed a new front mat because of the footrest issue, I hadn't realised that my brandrup 3 piece set for the boot couldn't be reused, the floor mat needs to be shorter & the left hand side piece would now cover the light & clashes with the bed support. It is suggested that the living room carpet also needs changing but mine fits perfectly, sods law dictates that that is the only one of mine that really needs replacing.

The new comfort mattress - came with the van, I wouldn't have specified it, its a skinny little thing, doesn't look comfortable to me, when folded in three, the bottom piece has the cut out to fit round the rear pillar of the van, the other two pieces don't so it won't sit flat.

It’s interesting the different takes. The 6.1 is my first Cali and first automatic, so I’ve nothing to compare with, and I’m generally pleased or content with everything so far. I tuck my left foot back and just assumed that’s what everyone does. I know some people don’t like the mattress but we’ve found it very comfortable.

Ok these are all the little downsides to a T6.1 ocean that I hadn't really appreciated before I bought one:

The loss of the drivers footrest, I knew it was missing, I hadn't realised that the space it took up had disappeared as well, its as if the whole centre console has expanded to the right by about 3 inches.

The rear cup holders, my kids loved the rear cup holders & used them all the time, we had managed to obtain a couple of the "baskets" that were specified on an Amorak which gave ours a bottom to stop things falling through. The groove on the front of the kitchen has changed so the T6 ones don't fit. I need to think of an alternative

Theres no groove on the side of the kitchen unit facing the passenger seat - I can't use my corner shelf! there's nowhere to fix it & the door lock button has disappeared.

Carpets. OK I had suspected I needed a new front mat because of the footrest issue, I hadn't realised that my brandrup 3 piece set for the boot couldn't be reused, the floor mat needs to be shorter & the left hand side piece would now cover the light & clashes with the bed support. It is suggested that the living room carpet also needs changing but mine fits perfectly, sods law dictates that that is the only one of mine that really needs replacing.

The new comfort mattress - came with the van, I wouldn't have specified it, its a skinny little thing, doesn't look comfortable to me, when folded in three, the bottom piece has the cut out to fit round the rear pillar of the van, the other two pieces don't so it won't sit flat.
Irritating.

Yes - got it home yesterday, ordered Tuesday. It was registered on 28th December done 15 miles. Looks like it might have been a smart move, none of this untested 204 emissions gubbins & still has the sport mode on the gearbox.

Theres a few other changes that I wasn't expecting:
The soft close on the sliding door is almost silent.
The electronic child lock on the slider is clever, there's an extra button by the mirror controls that stops the door being opened from inside.
Option in the menu for auto locking at 9mph
You can display the sat nav maps on the dash in front of the driver - this is always the VW sat nav map, if using CarPlay you can show, a different map google for example at the same time in the central screen.

Mine I guess came with the smokers pack as I've got an old fashioned lighter in one of the12v sockets - wasn't expecting that.
Also came with a 12v torch.

The photo shows a T6.1 footwell mat over my T5.1 one, in the T6.1 there is vertical bulkhead tight on the left hand side of the mat, The T5.1 mat didn't cover the footrest so there was that space as well.I thought the footwell space felt a bit tight.IMG_2194.jpg

So no room to install an aftermarket dead pedal? That is one feature I would find hard to accept especially on long trips. Its odd that the LHD version retains the feature, but luckily for me.

Not sure how much I will miss the 'sport' mode on the dsg gearbox. I have the option on my Audi S4 and really don't like the engine characteristics in auto/sport mode. Works great in manual mode though as the gear changes are faster.

I suppose on the LHD model its the passenger footwell thats shrunk. I was expecting a bit of flat floor rather than no space.

Hi is the comfort mattress on the 6.1 worse than the 6 then? We are trading a 17 plate T6 for a 6.1 and love the current comfort mattress. Cheers for your observations. All the best

Hi is the comfort mattress on the 6.1 worse than the 6 then? We are trading a 17 plate T6 for a 6.1 and love the current comfort mattress. Cheers for your observations. All the best
I don't know - I bought a brandrup I extend for our T5.1 6 years ago I think its just about perfect & better than the bed at home, its very comfortable, 75mm thick & medium density, you make a dent in it but don't sink, then you have the rear shelf pad and the folded seat providing firmer support underneath.

The T6.1 is about 30mm thick & feels more like dense memory foam.
I don't know what came with T6 to compare with.

I don't know - I bought a brandrup I extend for our T5.1 6 years ago I think its just about perfect & better than the bed at home, its very comfortable, 75mm thick & medium density, you make a dent in it but don't sink, then you have the rear shelf pad and the folded seat providing firmer support underneath.

The T6.1 is about 30mm thick & feels more like dense memory foam.
I don't know what came with T6 to compare with.
Thanks for this. The T6 CM is pretty thick and I’ve always slept on it very well with my wife and occasionally joined by our two kids. It was perfect in my eyes with a waterproof cover and a sheet. The new one does look a lot thinner and flimsier.

Are you happy with the 6.1 overall?

All the best

I would be tempted to keep what you've got if you've found it comfy, if the dealer kicks off let them keep the new topper.
The boot end may feel a bit different as its now a solid board rather than a grill.

Access to the boot is now excellent - its more like a parcel shelf in a car - being able to lift it up makes loading so much easier - can also carry tall stuff in the boot without having to remove the bed base.

Very pleased with it so far - I've only done 40 miles so a bit early to tell, just keep finding little changes that I wasn't expecting mostly good ones, the built in towel hooks on the end of the kitchen for example.

The kids absolutely love actually having courtesy lights in the back, makes a huge difference being able to see when climbing in.

Yes - got it home yesterday, ordered Tuesday.
4 day lead time. Blimey that must've pushed your patience!

Got to love buying pre-reg vans. Sure you have to be patient to get a spec close to your ideal but so much to be said for certainly. Ours had 8 or 9 miles I think, bought in that fairy tale time when buying in December meant silly discounts. At the time ours was the cheapest "new" Cali on the VW used system despite having a good spec. A lot has changed in 3 years.

Enjoy your new ride.

I got a good deal with a better discount than drive the deal, and now is the time to get a decent value for a trade in as a dealer will sell it on in spring. If you take into account the insurance settlement that I got for the unfixed bodywork damage that I traded it in with, I got 90% of what I paid for it as a pre-registered van nearly 7 years and 60,000 miles ago.

The fact that its pre-reg makes no difference to me, its not as if its a demo or even a showroom Van.

An ocean with no options at all is still decent, a lot of options on the T6 are standard on the T6.1 - the decent media system & LED lights for example, we had decided on 5 seats and needed a towbar , had to be a colour that SWMBO agreed with. Different Wheels, a spare wheel, the extra bench draw & the shower that I would have specified I can add later.

Pre reg saves a fortune, as it stops you ticking the order box for the bits you don't really need - its just take it or leave it.

I got a good deal with a better discount than drive the deal, and now is the time to get a decent value for a trade in as a dealer will sell it on in spring. If you take into account the insurance settlement that I got for the unfixed bodywork damage that I traded it in with, I got 90% of what I paid for it as a pre-registered van nearly 7 years and 60,000 miles ago.
Wow. Money in the bank........

Good for you @andyinluton .
I’ve only ever bought one brand new car to spec. 2000 Peugeot 206GT. Got the discount because I worked at the Peugeot plant.

Both my Calis have been Ex Demo.
One had 50 miles and the savings were too good to pass.
Enjoy the new van, interested to hear how you get on with it over the next few months.

@andyinluton I’ve taken inspiration from your posts in the past regarding stowing the rear shelf vertically when you’ve got the fifth seat in, in order to gain extra legroom for those on the rear bench.

Have you experimented with the new rear shelf? Will you do the same as in your T5.1, or is there a new arrangement?

I don’t think the new board will stow vertically, like the old board would. The old one was a flat grill when removed, this one has brackets/mechanism sticking out at the sides. However there does appear to be a bit more leg room even with the board in place. What may be of more interest if you are using the 5 th seat a lot is the mention in the manual of a special board with a folding section at the bench end, looks to be 150-200 flap that lifts vertically specifically to allow the bench to move back a bit. I posted somewhere about it yesterday with the page out of the manual. It looked like it was designed just for 5th seat users.

Last edited:
Smart move. Pre-reg, best time to hit the dealers. Enjoy.

It looks like you'll be waiting a while now for your carpets.

When Chelsea are allowed 2 balls on the pitch, a throw 15 yards from where it went out and a foul throw at that, what chance do we have, Chelsea subs bench £275million our entire squad £2.7m. Put up a decent battle once we got going anyway.

I don’t think the new board will stow vertically, like the old board would. The old one was a flat grill when removed, this one has brackets/mechanism sticking out at the sides. However there does appear to be a bit more leg room even with the board in place. What may be of more interest if you are using the 5 th seat a lot is the mention in the manual of a special board with a folding section at the bench end, looks to be 150-200 flap that lifts vertically specifically to allow the bench to move back a bit. I posted somewhere about it yesterday with the page out of the manual. It looked like it was designed just for 5th seat users.
This is super interesting and great to hear!

Sorry could you point me to your post about this? Cheers

Sorry could you point me to your post about this? Cheers

Look for thread 6.1 new ratchet bed base

Cheers Andy - I’ll have to pull the board out of storage and check it out. If you sort out the front mats let me know as I’ve got a headache trying to find an all in one set that isn’t rubber.

Back