Votes: 80 26.6%
  • 37-39 MPG

Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
Bit subjective all this really and if you're buying Cali you should really hold your hands up and give in to the god of fuel.

I can tell you of some amazing consumption figures with my Beach but also, lots of town driving, and it doesn't seem that great.

I will say that compared to the full fat 140 my Beach is much better - that around town went through fuel rather alarmingly. Mainly because of the extra weight and having to work it quite hard.

But that was a great cruiser :)

Around town I average 35 - 38, on a run I can do on average about 45 - 47.

What's more interesting is how far the tank of fuel goes. On average I get about 550 miles. Recent long trips down to Devon and back have seen the consumption rise and in turn the fuel tank give us about 700 miles.

i think in context the Beach has good fuel economy but that's in context.

James

Our 174 6spd 4Motion (50k on the clock now) was a bit thirsty in France, hammering along I never bettered 30mpg. Here in the UK on A roads and Motorways, keeping to the limits but not mindfully driving for economy we get 34-38 on a run. To be honest, I'm very pleased with it. Commuting to work I get 33 going in and 27 coming home on a 9 mile run (we live on a hill ;-)).

I've been really chuffed with mine, we've had it since last Feb 2012 and done about 11,000-12,000 miles now and it is just getting better and better. Overall average since we've had it is now 36.1 mpg but this has been steadily creeping up and up and I am getting more regular 40+mpg on my journeys rather than just the occasional trip.

Once ours hit around 8k, the performance and economy both rocketed. It's still no Prius (thank gawd!) but the mpg is definitely not bad for the weight and power.

KernowLad said:
Once ours hit around 8k, the performance and economy both rocketed. It's still no Prius (thank gawd!) but the mpg is definitely not bad for the weight and power.

I totally agree with you, for the weight and size the mpg is great. I truly believe it does better mpg than my 56 plate 1.6 Beetle.

140HP Beach with 6k on the clock and I'm averaging 37mpg with a mixture of long journeys and commuting. I'm amazed that such a large/heavy vehicle can do that.

One long journey I set the cruise to 65mph and fully loaded (5 people + nearly a tonne of firewood) I got 42mpg.

Custardtart said:
140HP Beach with 6k on the clock and I'm averaging 37mpg with a mixture of long journeys and commuting. I'm amazed that such a large/heavy vehicle can do that.

One long journey I set the cruise to 65mph and fully loaded (5 people + nearly a tonne of firewood) I got 42mpg.

We're about the same, going to take off the awning and see what difference that makes. Few mph I'd guess! No point having it on on winter!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Our 174 has improved a bit in the 3.5 years we've had it. Used to average about 26-28mpg, now it tends to be more like 30-32 though I have averaged up to 36 on the odd occasion. Has still only done 11000 miles so I'm hopeful it could improve a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You could always have your Calis remapped for more economy?

I was always sceptical about these claims but, having had my Caddy done it's true. Ok, if you stick the boot in and use the extra grunt then sure, the mpg will drop. The extra power definately allows for a more eco friendly drive.

I think at least 10k on the clock is required before any increase in mpg will be realised.

My T4 does 37mpg uphill or down-dale, Harry flatters or crawling around. When it's empty, I fill it up. Simples.

S.

Fin/Loz - We always admire your Cali when we drive past from Charlton :hello

Sidepod, is your's the 2.4 or 1.9?

Our turbo'd 2.4 averages 30-32, and it's not like I drive angry! Not that I worry about it, just surprised at the big difference. 170k miles, so think the engine has run in :)

2.4 Non turbo.

I really paid attention last year to this. I would brim it and not the oddometer reading.
Over the summer it averaged out at 37. "Amazballs".

I think the 1.9 is a touch under powered for such a big lump.

S.

I calculate it the same way. This does assume that the odo is reading correctly though - I've never checked that. I feel a science experiment coming on.

Just done just over 3K miles: 900 in UK, 500 in Northern Spain and the rest in Portugal.
Two up: 34.0 mpg using B2B method and 33.9 using CaliComputer.
Very mixed driving and drove to the speed limits especially on autoroutes.
174 4Motion (5 pot single turbo), wife driving too :D

Very disappointed to see Calis in Class 2 on Portuguese autoroutes which is about double the price of longer and wider 6 seater cars (my 4 motion is a 4 seater, of course). No amount of arguing in whatever language would change it. The plus was that some of the autoroutes (especially those coming from and past the Douro valley and at 3500') offer some of the most extraordinary views I've seen. We drove south on the autoroutes and then wriggled back up the west coast on whatever road we could find (some unpaved forest tracks ...)

Costs grumble aside, impressed with the number plate recognition system for assessing tolls and passing them on from section to section (mainly in the north).

There appears to be a rumour in Portugal that all tolls will be suspended for the summer season and the 23% VAT on restaurant meals, too. I'm not sure what the former is designed to do since they're totally empty at the moment (maybe attract tourists? maybe reduce the cost of freighting stuff?) and I'm not sure whether the reduction in meals' VAT is to help owners who'll not pass on the reduction to diners or attract more diners by passing it on to them.

Intriguing post about the accuracy of the odometer.
I've never checked it myself but I have noticed that 74 mph on the Cali's speedometer is 70 on the satnav. Since they'll both be using the same time frame, I guess the discrepancy comes from the measure of distance? Nearly a 6% difference.

Just sneak up into the draft of a big truck and sit there all day :lol:

S.

On our Easter 2000 mile trip to Alps with fully loaded cali driving at 75 -80 mph using heater at night we averaged 29.5 mpg in our 11 plate 180 4 motion.
Driving a hire 140 cali today appears to be 5 - 8 mpg better than my 4 motion - will update.

sidepod said:
I really paid attention last year to this. I would brim it and not the oddometer reading.
Over the summer it averaged out at 37. "Amazballs".

With the new fuel injector pump (standard setting on fuel screw) we just managed 35mpg on a fully loaded run up to and half way around the Lake District. Haven't calculated the other half yet.

Seems a bit more sluggish around town, but oddly seems to pull better up hills. Weird.

Not sure what to spend the savings on. Beer or wine?
dan

36 - 38 for me, but anyone knows about clocking the computer to change the mileage - My neighbor has this done and it says it gets him a further 100 miles per tank full....

On the motorway to the Peak District we were getting a little over 40 in our 180 DSG. At a steady 65-70. I was most impressed.

Our new Cali --May this year--with 140 engine is currently averaging 37mpg. I do all the driving which is mainly rural winding roads, with occasional faster runs on main trunk routes.
We're getting slightly more mpg than a 3 year old Golf we owned.
I ignore the gear change indicator on the dash and drive to suggested torque levels and the 'feel' of the engine. I'm hoping to increase my average mpg over the years as the engine becomes more efficient.

KernowLad said:
I know this is a bit dull but with rising costs and our rather large fuel tanks, I'm a little alarmed at consistently averaging under 20mpg in our Cali (180)!

Okay it's on under 2,000 miles and almost all our driving is hilly/rural with a fair bit of stop starting but it's still rather harsh! I checked a journey to the waves and back today and got 19mpg with a fairly light foot. :eek:

The engine feels like it's loosening up nicely but is there a chance the mpg might improve a little as it runs in more?!

Hi! When we got ours 2yrs back we were averaging about 20 something, the engine has certainly loosened up now and we avg no less than 30mpg fully laden this summer when down to Spain - mostly motorway at 80mph, with awning and bike rack. Awning and bike rack are weighty and will affect the mpg (apologies if I'm sounding obvious). We are on 19k miles now. I have driven through the alps and Pyrenees and hills do impact on consumption significantly. I was disappointed initially with mpg but rest assured this will improve.... Forgot to say we are a 180 manual...

Still rarely getting above 30 but I had the same in a 140 Caravelle. Damn these hilly country lanes!!

Hi, a late contribution but I've been paying a bit of attention to see if I can somehow justify the addition cost of a facelift on the fuel savings over my 07plate .... sadly the comments here seem to side with my wife and say no!

Our 174 4motion is well run in at 78k (although beginning to get a few rattles in the back) and seems to average 28mpg, that is; motorway 29-26mpg depending on 65 or 75 respectively (on the continent at 85mph loaded up it was easier to watch the fuel tank level fall than the miles til empty which was more of a minutes count down...); twisty roads around home in the lakes 25mpg best; normal A road cruising to skye 30mpg. Obviously running with the aircon compressor off helps by a couple of mpg and having bikes on the back doesn't by the same amount! I also noticed a big difference swapping to my winter Vanco enter tyres from the M+S Vectors - the fuel economy improved due to the better tread pattern etc, however the vectors have got me out of some boggy situations so....
:hello

Just done a 2500 mile round trip to the Pyrenees in a 4motion 180 manual loaded up and got 33.8mpg overall. Best was 36.7 running up from Bordeaux to Mont St Michel, flat motorways are wonderful.
Only 3200m on the clock when we set off so pretty chuffed with this.
Running at speed limits on motorways here and France and lots of mountainous bits so I reckon it will hit at least 35mpg when its run in properly around 20k.
Incidentally, we could tell the difference between cheap supermarket fuel and "proper" stuff over there. Big savings though, around 10c/litre.