Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is the weight distribution for a T5 California 170 DSG?

J

JohnVZ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi all- I’m attempting to find out the weight distribution of the van so that I can test a theory for lifting. Does anyone know this information?
Many thanks!
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was a betting man I’d go 60/40 front/rear.

Thanks- what would happen if I were to cash VW up and ask? Would they even know?

Hi all- I’m attempting to find out the weight distribution of the van so that I can test a theory for lifting. Does anyone know this information?
Many thanks!
John

Visit a Public Weighbridge. Then you would get an accurate measurement.

I’ve not used one before- thought they only told you total weight? I’ll go and find a local one! Thank you!

Park the front half on and weight it then park……..well, you can probably work out the rest.

Park the front half on and weight it then park……..well, you can probably work out the rest.

Just noticing now that weighbridges near me are specifically saying:

“Please note: we are not authorised to carry out ‘split’ weighs or axle weighings.”

I’m assuming this is the approach that you were suggesting? Or are they referring to something completely different?

Sounds like you’re out of luck there.

Why do you need to know out of interest?

I’ve recently found that you can turn quickjacks 90 degrees and use them sideways.
The only constraint is ensuring the weight distribution between each Jack is roughly even

Why would it matter? The two jacks are not linked (apart from the hydraulics). As long as the weight limit isn’t exceeded?

I’m curious about why you would need to lift the van sideways?

Why would it matter? The two jacks are not linked (apart from the hydraulics). As long as the weight limit isn’t exceeded?

I’m curious about why you would need to lift the van sideways?

Quickjack are quite specific in saying that the load needs to be evenly distributed- as far as I’m aware, the jacks won’t go up if one of them is under significantly higher load than the other (so I’m told).

It’s not about lifting the van sideways, it’s about being able to lift the van at all. The Jack points are too far apart for most vehicle lifts going lengthways, however not so when going horizontally. They’re only 1.6m apart in this case.

I shall have a look!

Normally on the door pillar, a black sticker.
Mine says
3080kg
5300kg
1 - 1620kg
2 - 1575kg
(It's a 4motion thought, so might be different)

They are max vehicle weight
Gross train weight
Max Front axle
Max Rear axle

Last edited:
Thank you for that- I’m guessing the rear axle on yours is going to weigh more due to the drivetrain. I’ll go have a look at mine.

Thank you for that- I’m guessing the rear axle on yours is going to weigh more due to the drivetrain. I’ll go have a look at mine.

Yes higher running gear weight but I think it could the same maximum as yours. I'm just closer to the maximum, so we have to be very careful not to overload.

RESULT!!! I went past the local ASM recycling Center and the really kind guy running it let me do the split weighting!

So with 3/4 fork in the tank and an empty water tank and me out of the van the weights come in as follows:

Front 1360kg
Back 1240kg

So that is 53:47 ratio!

I can improve it by lifting on an empty fuel tank and adding water in. Very pleased with the result..

I’m going to order the quickjack from Costco and the extension plates.

So how about just making up some adaptors to span between the jacking points on the Cali? Then you could just use the jacks as designed?
The adapters only need to be a couple of lengths of suitable box section? Perhaps I’m over simplifying it?

Im still not understanding why you need to lift the van? In 15 years of owning one I’ve always managed with the 3ton trolley jack/axle stands combo. Again, probably over simplifying it.

So with 3/4 fork in the tank and an empty water tank and me out of the van the weights come in as follows:

Front 1360kg
Back 1240kg

So that is 53:47 ratio!
has anyone pointed out that at the back there is a a big difference between left and right side, due to the kitchen, fuel tank, add blu tank etc. all being on one side.

has anyone pointed out that at the back there is a a big difference between left and right side, due to the kitchen, fuel tank, add blu tank etc. all being on one side.
I was ignoring that one. :cheers
It was called Westy lean in the good old days.

The front /rear delta quoted above is probs not a million miles away from the left/right.

Im still not understanding why you need to lift the van? In 15 years of owning one I’ve always managed with the 3ton trolley jack/axle stands combo. Again, probably over simplifying it.
My one is likely due for suspension refresh and probably more when I get under there. I don't enjoy working under vehicles with just jack stands whilst heaving away at things.

Ok fair enough. The cost of the Quickjacks buys an awful lot of labour? Hey ho. :cheers

Ok fair enough. The cost of the Quickjacks buys an awful lot of labour? Hey ho. :cheers
True - I've not reached this cost/decision lightly. But I have two other cars that I also work on so ROI is roughly 2 years or less. Cheers for the input on this - it's most appreciated.

Back