Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What essential accessories have you since ditched overboard?

I still think that it is worth further analysis of what is going on with the external cover vs curtains.

It is true that the Cali needs good ventilation overnight. Zipping open the tent windows even a little helps. Front window vents help, but less with an external cover than with curtains.

But on the windscreen the curtains traps still warm air between the curtain and the cold windscreen with no means to escape. An external cover keeps the windscreen warmer, and air can circulate across the surface of the windscreen. Whether that air simply condenses on another cold surface as WG suggests, or escapes the van will depend on how good the ventilation is in the van.

What I have little doubt about is that an external cover reduces the condensation on the inside of the windscreen over curtains. But take on WG’s point that good ventilation is essential too.
The external cover just converts the windscreen into the equivalent of a double glazed unit.

Because if you have condensation then you have inadequate ventilation. Using an insulated cover to reduce the condensation without addressing ventilation just moves any condensation to the next coldest area, normally body panels behind the body trim or kitchen/wardrobe in a SE/Ocean. It doesn't get rid of it within the vehicle. Only ventilation does that or running a Dehumidifier. It's just Physics.

Even if you have adequate ventilation in the living area it is going to be difficult to get rid of still air trapped between a curtain and windscreen. Condensation is likely to form. Remove that curtain and replace with an external cover and air can circulate across the inside of the windscreen.

I fully agree with you that good ventilation is important too, but replacing curtains with an external windscreen cover allows air to circulate across the inside of the windscreen.

Even if you have adequate ventilation in the living area it is going to be difficult to get rid of still air trapped between a curtain and windscreen. Condensation is likely to form. Remove that curtain and replace with an external cover and air can circulate across the inside of the windscreen.

I fully agree with you that good ventilation is important too, but replacing curtains with an external windscreen cover allows air to circulate across the inside of the windscreen.
I just leave the windscreen curtains hanging from the sun visors. Don't tuck them in. Very rarely use the windscreen curtain except for privacy. Tail & side blinds + cabin side windows. Even north of the Arctic circle never used the windscreen curtains.

Well as mentioned I have the suckered reflective blinds, and sleeping with them on the inside of the windows traps condensation, but stick them on the outside and the windscreen is clear in the morning. The damp must just go somewhere else.

Reactions: DG1
@WelshGas
I still think that it is worth further analysis of what is going on with the external cover vs curtains.

It is true that the Cali needs good ventilation overnight. Zipping open the tent windows even a little helps. Front window vents help, but less with an external cover than with curtains.

But on the windscreen the curtains traps still warm air between the curtain and the cold windscreen with no means to escape. An external cover keeps the windscreen warmer, and air can circulate across the surface of the windscreen. Whether that air simply condenses on another cold surface as WG suggests, or escapes the van will depend on how good the ventilation is in the van.

What I have little doubt about is that an external cover reduces the condensation on the inside of the windscreen over curtains. But take on WG’s point that good ventilation is essential too.

I agree on the physics behind condensation moving elsewhere in the van without ventilation.

For me, having the thermal screen, in addition to adding character to the van, just means I don't have to spend most mornings wiping down the screen before I can drive off. (which the children inevitably do with some grotty rag smearing the view beautifully)
Camping in the damp British weather, condensation is inevitable even with good ventilation, especially with 4 of us, and i have found using the internal blinds frequently leads to a damp screen. I find it really useful and helps keep it warm without having to use the heater. I am also mindful that the roof wrap, when we use it, reduces the ventilation too but the children moan about the cold otherwise.:rolleyes:
FCED7F34-1126-4E21-9FCE-6935BB879FE8.jpeg
The only time I have ever had to use the ramps

Haven't got rid of the ramps yet, but only take them if I think I will need them, although the bag has some grip strips for getting off soggy pitches.

Like our safari chef but could really do with a double burner for outside cooking. The Ridge Monkey does everything we need and works like the Safari Chef in terms of a mini oven so might change to the 2 burner Cadac.

@soulstyledevon
do you have slide bars or just normal roof bars for the Surf boards? we have a step stool but I am not especially tall so not sure getting a surf board on the bars with just that step will work so will probably have to get a collapsible ladder. :(

grotty rag ahaha

Have you tried a work platform? fold pretty flat, super robust and operate as stool or little people table - thinking where to store....

@Drpps
I have the standard Volkswagen Roof bars, however they do sit quite high.
I believe Thule do some lower bars...?
I’m 5,11
Stick the boards on, throw the straps over (ensure buckle lands on board bag) pop over to the non awning side and am able to reach the straps and tie off.
:thumb

So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

Here's just a few of our personal collection to start the ball rolling:

1. Levelling ramps - They take up too much room and we've rarely needed them.
2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

I could go on but I won't. :thumb
Agree with nearly all of yours - next to go is the van itself as we are no longer using it and find ourselves using self catering cottages more and more - anyone want a 2017 204 4motion in Idium grey - hardly used !!

I am with you on the toaster's now use a ridge monkey
1) Seat covers from Aldi. They fit OK, but don’t exactly raise the tone and they clashed with the Persian rug. Chucked them out after only one trip. Why have a Cali and settle for less? The originals still look almost as good as new after 75,000 miles and 600+ nights (and only a couple of applications of Autoglym)!
2) Those wardrobe shelves that fall off within a few weeks.

Never had, nor wanted, a topper / separate awning / levellers / ladder / bungee / toaster. Wouldn’t be without the Portapotti. Naff though it is, it allows so much more flexibility in where you can stay. No need to take it if you know you won’t use it. Glad too to have added high quality fitted carpets throughout. Happy with our original internal front blind that hooks over the mirror and the sun-visors. Low tech, but it does the job and will never fail.

It’s not flawless, but the original design, evolved over decades, needs little embellishment. I feel so lucky to own one and to be sat in it as I write!

@WelshGas

I agree on the physics behind condensation moving elsewhere in the van without ventilation.

For me, having the thermal screen, in addition to adding character to the van, just means I don't have to spend most mornings wiping down the screen before I can drive off. (which the children inevitably do with some grotty rag smearing the view beautifully)
Camping in the damp British weather, condensation is inevitable even with good ventilation, especially with 4 of us, and i have found using the internal blinds frequently leads to a damp screen. I find it really useful and helps keep it warm without having to use the heater. I am also mindful that the roof wrap, when we use it, reduces the ventilation too but the children moan about the cold otherwise.:rolleyes:
View attachment 78318
The only time I have ever had to use the ramps
That’s a very cool external windscreen cover. Maybe worthwhile irrespective of the condensation issue or the extra space requirement!

Well; here our idea of the things mentioned:
  • Ditch the leveling ramps? no sir, we use them at least once per journey; we don't stand always on a beautiful billiard cloth lawn. We also use the 'half way sliding door technique' and an app on the mobile phone, if necessary we use the leveling ramps.
  • Thermal windscreen: did not buy that and do not miss it;
  • Drive away awning: takes up too much space and weighs way too much, but we have one: already been dragged along and used 3 times in 8 years;
  • That tin and wire gadget makes our toasts every morning while on a trip. Works perfectly.
  • I don't pull anything over the roof once I'm standing somewhere to spend the night;
  • I've never used the solar shower but have it with me every time (so must ditch it, overlooked all these years).
  • We leave all bbq things at home: if you really want to barbecue, you can do so at a campsite if necessary or use a single use one that you buy on the go.
  • A bellow bungee I will never buy: I saw the markings on the tent fabric.
  • Ridge monkey, safari chef or other such things: not necessary, we still use the pots and pans set from when we traveled with the tent.
  • For everything else: if not used, it's removed.
  • What I don't have and if it was hanging on the bus, I took it off: an awning; we do have one that slides into the rail, two poles, some pickets and ropes: takes up almost no space and weighs nothing.
Of course this is how we travel; each chooses what to use or to carry along.
Greetings

1) Seat covers from Aldi. They fit OK, but don’t exactly raise the tone and they clashed with the Persian rug. Chucked them out after only one trip. Why have a Cali and settle for less? The originals still look almost as good as new after 75,000 miles and 600+ nights (and only a couple of applications of Autoglym)!
2) Those wardrobe shelves that fall off within a few weeks.

Never had, nor wanted, a topper / separate awning / levellers / ladder / bungee / toaster. Wouldn’t be without the Portapotti. Naff though it is, it allows so much more flexibility in where you can stay. No need to take it if you know you won’t use it. Glad too to have added high quality fitted carpets throughout. Happy with our original internal front blind that hooks over the mirror and the sun-visors. Low tech, but it does the job and will never fail.

It’s not flawless, but the original design, evolved over decades, needs little embellishment. I feel so lucky to own one and to be sat in it as I write!
Especially glad to have the portapotti today, here at Cambridge Cherry Hinton, where the CMHC managers have decided to completely shut all the toilets tonight because of “misuse of the shared facilities”. Outrageous! We were OK, but they had never asked if we had our own facilities. Who knows about the other non-great whiters / caravanners?

Especially glad to have the portapotti today, here at Cambridge Cherry Hinton, where the CMHC managers have decided to completely shut all the toilets tonight because of “misuse of the shared facilities”. Outrageous! We were OK, but they had never asked if we had our own facilities. Who knows about the other non-great whiters / caravanners?
I may be wrong but don't think that the facilities were allowed to be open yesterday.

Caravan and motor home club have had toilets open in England since April but showers closed.

Should have been able to use a shower after midnight.

I may be wrong but don't think that the facilities were allowed to be open yesterday.
Yes, they partly opened on April 12th. No showers, only one cubicle in the men’s block, masks and a system to limit numbers to maximum 3. It was working well. All functioning OK Fri and Sat and Sun morning but closed last night and this morning. Something must have happened to wind up the local staff but it seems excessive to close all the toilets in an almost full site, without notice.

Yes, they partly opened on April 12th. No showers, only one cubicle in the men’s block, masks and a system to limit numbers to maximum 3. It was working well. All functioning OK Fri and Sat and Sun morning but closed last night and this morning. Something must have happened to wind up the local staff but it seems excessive to close all the toilets in an almost full site, without notice.
Well it all seems a bit patchy then. We stayed at the C and MH site at Winchcombe during last week. No toilets or showers available at all.

Oops Mrs B has just corrected me. Apparently it was a Camping and Caravaning Club site.

Last edited:
Well it all seems a bit patchy then. We stayed at the C and MH site at Winchcombe during last week. No toilets or showers available at all.
I think sites are taking a view depending on the nature of their facilities and ability to make them COVID-secure, but the guidance from April was that they could open them if they could introduce appropriate measures.

Continuing our decluttering of our van ready for a trip to Northumberland at the end of next week. Took everything out and for every item asked: when was this item last used? Then a simple - yes or no for the next trip. Absolutely no maybes. If we don't have it we will manage without it. We now have two empty cupboards. We will use these for trip specific items.

Continuing our decluttering of our van ready for a trip to Northumberland at the end of next week. Took everything out and for every item asked: when was this item last used? Then a simple - yes or no for the next trip. Absolutely no maybes. If we don't have it we will manage without it. We now have two empty cupboards. We will use these for trip specific items.
Yes, i’m looking to rationalise packing on a per trip/type of trip basis. Until now i’ve been lugging everything around which is dumb. The Cali’ learning experience continues.

Oops Mrs B has just corrected me. Apparently it was a Camping and Caravaning Club site.
Was there a price reduction on that ? Hopefully closer a site only offering water, waste.

The 335 with green chemicals has been great, never wanted one but been very useful especially wild camping.

Was there a price reduction on that ? Hopefully closer a site only offering water, waste.
Mrs B says no. She booked it.

Mind you it was only £46 for two nights.

I assumed it was a C and MH site because it was mainly Cs and MHs and was quite regimented. Lovely site though with everything tickerty boo. Even the ducks on the pond were all aligned.

There was water and waste disposal available but no toilets, showers or washing up etc.

Last edited:
Back