Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What essential accessories have you since ditched overboard?

I’m thinking of removing the awning…….. carried it around for two years and only used it twice, once in the rain for 10 mins just to keep the rain out of the door and once with the grandkids who after 5 mins wanted to sit in side! All it does in the meantime is get in the way when washing the van and IMHO look pug ugly :D
I agree, I had never had such an awning attached to it, but we do bring an awning with us for the moments we really wanted to use one: an awning cloth to slide into the rail and two retractable poles and ropes and pickets. It is set up about as quickly as the awning from a box on top. The cloth is located near the poles in the tailgate and the chairs in the trunk. We also bring a large picnic blanket to place where we want to sit (or lie).

Last edited:
I’m thinking of removing the awning…….. carried it around for two years and only used it twice, once in the rain for 10 mins just to keep the rain out of the door and once with the grandkids who after 5 mins wanted to sit in side! All it does in the meantime is get in the way when washing the van and IMHO look pug ugly :D
That’s interesting, as the only times I’ve used the awning is rolled out about 50cm as a canopy over the door when it’s raining! I’m also considering removing it…

So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

Here's just a few of our personal collection to start the ball rolling:

1. Levelling ramps - They take up too much room and we've rarely needed them.
2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

I could go on but I won't. :thumb
Levelling ramps; that is interesting and got me thinking as we are about to embark on a two week trip to Snowdonia and Cornwall what alternatives would you use? Arn't they useful if it rains and you're not on a grass pitch?

One of the first things I do on every site is wind the awning out. Breaks the wind rain or sun, and makes an outdoor room. Love mine…but I also love my chocks, so know I’m an unusual character …

One of the first things I do on every site is wind the awning out. Breaks the wind rain or sun, and makes an outdoor room. Love mine…but I also love my chocks, so know I’m an unusual character …
I'll go with the awning but not sure about the chocks. Used 2 x in 10 yrs on 1 wheel.

Levelling ramps; that is interesting and got me thinking as we are about to embark on a two week trip to Snowdonia and Cornwall what alternatives would you use? Arn't they useful if it rains and you're not on a grass pitch?
Maybe we’re talking about different things here but what is the relationship between levelling ramps, rain and whether or not you’re on a grass pitch?

Maybe we’re talking about different things here but what is the relationship between levelling ramps, rain and whether or not you’re on a grass pitch?
I was wondering the same thing… unless I’m missing something obvious!

Removed and sold awning on my current Cali as looks ugly, causes wind noise and can’t use in wind or rain. Also sold the tailgate cycle carrier and got a tow bar one instead (tow bar already on van), IMO van looks way better without it. I can’t sleep if the van isn’t level, so use my ramps on most pitches! Guess we’re all different at the end of the day

I’m thinking of removing the awning…….. carried it around for two years and only used it twice, once in the rain for 10 mins just to keep the rain out of the door and once with the grandkids who after 5 mins wanted to sit in side! All it does in the meantime is get in the way when washing the van and IMHO look pug ugly

Removed and sold awning on my current Cali as looks ugly, causes wind noise and can’t use in wind or rain. Also sold the tailgate cycle carrier and got a tow bar one instead (tow bar already on van), IMO van looks way better without it. I can’t sleep if the van isn’t level, so use my ramps on most pitches! Guess we’re all different at the end of the day
Nice, was it tricky to remove?

Nice, was it tricky to remove?
Just a couple of bolts to remove the awning, and a few more to remove the brackets from the rail. It’s a two person job as it’s quite heavy and didn’t want to risk damaging the van! Sold the awning for £400, which I used to buy a solar panel kit from Roger

Just a couple of bolts to remove the awning, and a few more to remove the brackets from the rail. It’s a two person job as it’s quite heavy and didn’t want to risk damaging the van! Sold the awning for £400, which I used to buy a solar panel kit from Roger
Do you have to put the bolts back in afterwards?

I have to say, somewhat sanctimoniously, that we have purchased almost nothing that hasn’t been used. That is really down to the braw info that this forum shares and the wide range of opinions on ‘all accessories Cali’.
Probably the telescopic ladder (MaxxCamp) that caused some consternation in the purchasing of, given transfers to Euros etc. It’s been used a couple of times, but with the dog in the van, taking up a fair bit of floor space, I just ‘shimmy up top’ and leave hubby and Tavish downstairs. I’m sure there will come a time when it will be used in earnest, but for now it sleeps in the garage !

Agree about the awning wouldn’t want to lose ours, never bought or used chocks in 6 years.

Agree about the awning wouldn’t want to lose ours, never bought or used chocks in 6 years.
Same here, first thing wind out awning, one minute. Second erect pop up tent one minute and chill.

What do you use instead?
I like the Yeti ones, but the trick is getting one that works for the most drinks - tea/coffee, water, beer and wine - and fit well in the dash cupholders.
I don't think they've nailed it with any of them, and I've tried most, but am still to try these. My better half would roll her eyes again though, if I bought any more...
It’s a chilli flask for me…rubber edged so I don’t get hot lips

Same here, first thing wind out awning, one minute. Second erect pop up tent one minute and chill.
I couldn’t do without my levellers….im currently on the very top of them and am still not level….haven’t a clue how the tentersIMG_9716.jpeg sleep in the field….lovely view though!
Odd facilities

I’m looking to ditch my ridge monkey….

I can cook bacon in a pan with a guard, and/or outside
so, having read through many a post, toasties seem to be the main other use of it and, so far, I’ve not longed for a toastie……..ok, I’ll take it for a last whirl and see if toasties change my van life…!

but I’ve cut down on bread consumption……….
I’ve done it! I bravely left the ridge monkey at home 2 days ago and trialled my pan and guard option for my Sunday bacon rolls this morning…success!

IMG_9755.jpeg

My thinking is that if the van is on a ramp it may just be an aid to getting traction in wet grass

Really interesting thread I've just found, one think that surprises me is hardly anyone has mentioned wind breaks as a regrettable purchase. I'd have thought with the space they take up they'd be on many peoples lists of dispensed with items?

Really interesting thread I've just found, one think that surprises me is hardly anyone has mentioned wind breaks as a regrettable purchase. I'd have thought with the space they take up they'd be on many peoples lists of dispensed with items?
They’re good when it’s windy