Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What did you cook in your Ridge Monkey?

Very versatile. Over fire on my firebox stove, atop my kellie kettle on the pot stand, over charcoal in my Cobb and in the van.
I have 2 of the old style XLs and 1 new detachable XL. If you cook using more than 1 and the food’s ready at different times you can stack them to keep stuff warm. If you only have one cooking ring you can cook by alternating the pans.
I also use them in the kitchen at home.

7201FC44-7902-4864-9954-15F11C330B94.jpeg

5525A62A-AF24-4982-A54B-E78B691750F2.jpeg

A8DFDD92-E0CB-49FA-BFF8-2F88556E1262.jpeg

F5265F5E-D1E5-4AD5-BCD0-D1B315861D68.jpeg

Last edited:
OMG! I didn’t know the new ones had detachable handles. That makes them even better. Fixed handles on mine make them harder to store effectively. Thanks for the heads up, Aubergine-ine.
I have 2 old style with fixed handles that I’ve used at home in the kitchen, in the van (only cooked in the van twice so more out of the van), on gas, over charcoal, over Trangia spirit and gas, over fire (wood, twigs, pinecones, dried dung). The new flash one stays in the van. The little tools are handy and the detachable handles mean it can go IN the Cobb as well as Being used for the other stuff I’ve mentioned. The way it separates is useful but drives me nuts when I don’t want it to.

This is probably an obvious question but does cooking food in your Cali not make everything smell for weeks?! I see on here/Facebook etc some amazing meals being cooked (curry/steaks/full English breakfasts) inside people’s Calis but I just worry about all my clothes smelling for the rest of my holiday. Or am I just over thinking and being a little anal . Please can someone reassure me or tell me to worry about something else ....!

This is probably an obvious question but does cooking food in your Cali not make everything smell for weeks?! I see on here/Facebook etc some amazing meals being cooked (curry/steaks/full English breakfasts) inside people’s Calis but I just worry about all my clothes smelling for the rest of my holiday. Or am I just over thinking and being a little anal . Please can someone reassure me or tell me to worry about something else ....!
I think you will find as many agree with you as don’t on this. Lots of people never cook in their Cali. Each to their own. Personally we cook outside on a Trangia and use the Cali hob for kettle and not a lot else - for reasons in line with your thoughts. If my bedding or clothes smelt of bacon or curry I would hate it! We love cooking outside.

We cook in the Cali. Cooked breakfasts, fried onions, curry. We have an acctivated charcoal bag odour eater and never suffer any lingering aromas.

While away the past two weeks been using the RM as usual .
Toast , chicken breast , quiche , ....
Don't know if anyone ever tried this methode.
Weather was nice and used the one burner coocker next to the table while sitting outside , but we had a two pot meal ....so coocked the veggies in a small wok-pan and put the RM underneath .
So the RM gets heated in thesame time and baking meat in it with the veggies on top of the RM keeping them hot;)
Worked out very good and will be using this methode again in the future.
IMG_3238.JPGIMG_3254.JPGIMG_3249.JPG

Last edited:
We cook in the Cali. Cooked breakfasts, fried onions, curry. We have an acctivated charcoal bag odour eater and never suffer any lingering aromas.
Excellent tip. Activated charcoal bag is on the list of must haves. Thank you - much appreciated.

I think you will find as many agree with you as don’t on this. Lots of people never cook in their Cali. Each to their own. Personally we cook outside on a Trangia and use the Cali hob for kettle and not a lot else - for reasons in line with your thoughts. If my bedding or clothes smelt of bacon or curry I would hate it! We love cooking outside.
Thank you for responding . I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer but I just wanted to see if I was the only one thinking it! I’ll probably cook outside most of the time but I imagine if the weather is bad and I’m hungry I’ll throw caution to the wind and cook inside!

Why buy a California with a cooker and not use it?!
I cook inside. I cook outside.
Depends on the weather.
If inside ... just have a window open.
Van never seems to retain cooking odours.
There are some seriously OCD people on this site.
It’s camping FFS.

I cook both inside and outside including green curries, garlic bread etc and no long-lasting odours - making sure my wetsuit boots are properly dried out is far more critical to whether the van has a whiff when you get in...;)
I’ll second that with my scuba gear. I’m glad I bought a shower to hose everything down

Fair point. Cooking in the Cali should be enjoyable and I’ll loosen up. I’m really looking forward to trying out my RMs inside my van when it arrives early next year . In fact don’t know why I’m worried about cooking smells, my golden retriever doesn’t smell that great

Back