Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning light on dashboard

Embomaggiepie

Embomaggiepie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Morning, on our journey back from Cornwall to Bristol in August this light appeared on our dashboard. It stayed on for the whole journey home. Consequently we booked it into our local VW garage. Annoyingly the light went off, so the garage said that it would be pointless doing a diagnostic test as it’s likely many issues would be raised. I am a nurse and my husband a dr so this seems difficult for us to understand?!?! Anyway no surprises, the light has now come back on but we are unsure what to do? Has anyone else experienced this?

IMG_3216.jpeg

Morning, on our journey back from Cornwall to Bristol in August this light appeared on our dashboard. It stayed on for the whole journey home. Consequently we booked it into our local VW garage. Annoyingly the light went off, so the garage said that it would be pointless doing a diagnostic test as it’s likely many issues would be raised. I am a nurse and my husband a dr so this seems difficult for us to understand?!?! Anyway no surprises, the light has now come back on but we are unsure what to do? Has anyone else experienced this?

View attachment 115644
Odd response! You’ll need to have a diagnostic test done - hopefully just a sensor.

View attachment 115644
Which light are you referring to? I presume the yellow one?
This light can be due to numerous causes, some due to a temporary blip and may clear with a long run and be reset when the ignition cycled On/Off.
Are you in Warranty or do you have VW Assistance?
If you do, phone VW Assistance , insist on a VW technician, they can fix many things and have priority access to VW Dealerships.

A diagnostics reading will tell them what has triggered the fault and when it was triggered (even if it subsequently stops being illuminated). Sounds like they are being lazy or trying to fob you off.

Shortly after picking our T6.1 up I had that warning light illuminate intermittently, it turned out to be a missing software update and the light was coming on falsely. More recently it came on (and stayed on) again, this time it was a sensor in the exhaust system that needed replacing.

Which light are you referring to? I presume the yellow one?
This light can be due to numerous causes, some due to a temporary blip and may clear with a long run and be reset when the ignition cycled On/Off.
Are you in Warranty or do you have VW Assistance?
If you do, phone VW Assistance , insist on a VW technician, they can fix many things and have priority access to VW Dealerships.
Yes I am referring to the yellow light.
Sadly we’ve done several long journeys since it first came on and it didn’t reset.
Sadly also not in warranty and do not have VW assistance anymore.
I’ll go back to the garage. I argued it at the time but they were insistent that because the light had gone off at the time they wouldn’t be able to identify the reason for why it came on as it could flag all sorts of issues. What’s the point of the diagnostic then??

Go somewhere else or get a local diagnostic man to your house to do a reading

I have just had the same Engine Amber Warning Light come on, on my 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper 2.0 TDi, (Out of warranty) as others have already stated, it can signify many Engine/Emission problems. In my case:
1. As all garages these days, long wait to get in for my chargeable OBD Check
2. Lucky me, One week later given a cancellation appointment when they diagnosed on OBD check, an O2 Sensor fault, "However, replacing this may not resolve the issue and could lead to additional faults".
In my case fitting new sensor has cleared the fault. Total charge for Diagnostics, Replacement Sensor & Labour £572.
BMW/Mini like VW, not noted for their keen pricing! Wish you good luck in resolving the dreaded Engine Amber Warning light!

Go somewhere else or get a local diagnostic man to your house to do a reading
I’ve not heard of a diagnostic person coming to the house, is this through VW assistance? I’ll try somewhere else, if anyone knows of a reliable and trustworthy garage in the Bristol area, any suggestions would be welcome.
Many thanks for all the helpful responses.

I’ve not heard of a diagnostic person coming to the house, is this through VW assistance? I’ll try somewhere else, if anyone knows of a reliable and trustworthy garage in the Bristol area, any suggestions would be welcome.
Many thanks for all the helpful responses.
I'm on the same hunt for a good VW Service place (2 year service plan / warranty still left) myself.

Westlec are a good independent place for electricals. near the Esso Fuel station on the A38 Patchway.

I'm on the same hunt for a good VW Service place (2 year service plan / warranty still left) myself.

Westlec are a good independent place for electricals. near the Esso Fuel station on the A38 Patchway.
I’ll keep you posted if I find somewhere

I know one Cali owner used these https://sftebbyandson.com/
but I‘ve not used them myself.
Hi there, just thought I would update you. We went here today with our cali. They were so professional, even dropping my husband home and picking him up again at no extra cost. They were able to do a proper diagnostic, identify the problem and we are booked in for work shortly. They were so reassuring. We are planning on using them for regular services now. Really good find, so thank you for the suggestion. They are based in Avonmouth having moved from Clifton, Bristol.

Hi there, just thought I would update you. We went here today with our cali. They were so professional, even dropping my husband home and picking him up again at no extra cost. They were able to do a proper diagnostic, identify the problem and we are booked in for work shortly. They were so reassuring. We are planning on using them for regular services now. Really good find, so thank you for the suggestion. They are based in Avonmouth having moved from Clifton, Bristol.
Hi, glad they worked out for you. Please keep us posted :)

What was it?

Back