Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW van prices vs Ford Vans etc

Yesterday, one of our domestic helps showed up in a new Ford Van.

It seemed to have exactly the same spec as a bog standard VW transporter. I asked him why he didn't get a VW transporter instead. He replied that Transporters cost between 22k and 20k GBP, while he got the Ford with great finance deal on base price of 21k GBP. The equivalent VW transporter would be priced much higher.

Curious if this due to difference in quality, brand name, cost of manufacturing etc.

My experience with my Ford station cars were that they were rock solid and much better value for money than any premium German marque.
I suspect that the Ford will depreciate much more over time than a VW with similar mileage and in a similar condition. Also, old and tatty VW Transporters have a certain chic appeal these days whereas an old and tatty Ford Transit doesn't.
I recently sold my 02 reg T4 Lwb panel van. Admittedly it was in good condition but I doubt if a Ford Transit in similar condition would have elicited any where near the same response. Such was the interest, I could have easily sold it ten times over. In the end I sold over the phone for such a good price that I had lost very little over the eight years that I had owned it.

I think if you use the word "disintegrate" rather than "depreciate" it would sum up the Ford better, Our previous MH was Ford based & was showing rust in the seams of the Cills by 2 years old, on the main chassis rails where the outriggers attached there was a fair amount of rust at the first MOT - not enough to fail but it had certainly taken hold.

I just keep thinking of hitting a rockfall, flying in the air and landing on two tyres with enough impact to shred them: then driving over a debri-littered road on shredded tyres to find somewhere to stop safely before setting off on a one mile trek to locate a spot where I could get a mobile signal.

"Surely a major casualty" I thought.

5 hours later thanks to VW Assist and Jim, who negotiated his flatbed along twisting remote highland roads to collect Albert and myself, I was on the road again, two new tyres and no other damage.

For that reason alone I don't want to be in anything else other than a VW.

I think if you use the word "disintegrate" rather than "depreciate" it would sum up the Ford better, Our previous MH was Ford based & was showing rust in the seams of the Cills by 2 years old, on the main chassis rails where the outriggers attached there was a fair amount of rust at the first MOT - not enough to fail but it had certainly taken hold.
Did it look anything like this?
image.jpeg

Best car I ever owned was my last, an Alfa Romeo Brera, well tchnically it was my second one. The first one had engine failure on the drive home from picking it up! The second looked after me for 60000 trouble (mostly) free miles.

It was also a car that held its value incredibly well, although I am hoping the Cali holds its value better.

I have recently had the chance to see a full Ford transit conversion.....lovely....really good quality......the Ford vans are lovely to drive aswell...very car like.....I think I recall the owner stating that it cost nearly £40k. Far cheaper than a California but I would imagine that it would depreciate far quicker. I can't help but think that Ford should have given a different name to the vehicle though.......because however nice the vehicle is and however nice it drives it's still a Transit!!

Back