Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW van prices vs Ford Vans etc

VW Cali

VW Cali

Guest User
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yesterday, one of our domestic helps showed up in a new Ford Van.

It seemed to have exactly the same spec as a bog standard VW transporter. I asked him why he didn't get a VW transporter instead. He replied that Transporters cost between 22k and 20k GBP, while he got the Ford with great finance deal on base price of 21k GBP. The equivalent VW transporter would be priced much higher.

Curious if this due to difference in quality, brand name, cost of manufacturing etc.

My experience with my Ford station cars were that they were rock solid and much better value for money than any premium German marque.

Stating the blindingly obvious one is a Ford the other a VW.....not sure there is much else to say...

Kind of like Nissan GTR vs (Porsche 911 turbo, Audi R8 V10, McLaren 570S, Lamborghini Huracan).

And nope, I don't have a Nissan. Nor a Ford. Daft man, moi!

Or a Robin Reliant v Bond Bug.

That was quite a debate as well,

Or a Robin Reliant v Bond Bug.

That was quite a debate as well,
We had a white Bond Bug when I was at school many years ago, wish we still had it, selling for silly money now.

We had a white Bond Bug when I was at school many years ago, wish we still had it, selling for silly money now.

My Dad had a Robin Reliant and I still remember the excruciating embarrassment when he had a furious argument with another "dad" from my school over how his Reliant was so far superior to a Bond.

Mind you, My dad could start an argument in a telephone box with no one else there :sad

Brilliant!

I wonder: could they be selling for silly money because of natural conversion to camper vans?

My Dad had a Robin Reliant and I still remember the excruciating embarrassment when he had a furious argument with another "dad" from my school over how his Reliant was so far superior to a Bond.

Mind you, My dad could start an argument in a telephone box with no one else there :sad

Hahaha!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I think I love your respective dads.

A man's gotta have character to "march to the beat of a different drum."

Perhaps you ought to pay your "domestic helps" a little more, then they would be able to afford a Transporter.

Perhaps you ought to pay your "domestic helps" a little more, then they would be able to afford a Transporter.

Why would you suggest we don't? Tch tch tch. Uncalled for low blow.

We treat any help as members of family. And they are too.

As one of life's lucky losers, I always feel somewhat guilty that others not so lucky. So we always pay well above going rates which shock some people. But then we can always see that we could easily be other side.

Lucky losers not just luck monetary wise. Mostly parents I had, who instilled values, not least of which was that money means nothing. Lots and lots of luck but not so much the way you'd think.

But back to point: apart from brand name is the VW that much superior to the Ford?

Transit custom is a good van, just as good as a transporter and a bit cheaper to boot.
The only reasons I didn't buy one instead of a T6 were that you can't get a folding passenger bench seat, and residuals were a concern. And as a camper conversion or panel van it will be easier to sell than a transit due to the demand.
Other than that I'd probably have bought one as I can walk to my local ford dealer in 10 minutes

The Ford will probably come with a fairly decent spec as standard, whilst with the VW the good stuff will always be optional extras.

Last edited:
http://www.auto-campers.co.uk/

I saw on of these "ford" campers while touring in the summer and was quite impressed
although no auto box

Thanks.

If I'd been less inpatient to get my hands on a Cali, I would have shopped around and got my hands on a Ford or Hyundai conversion.

Interestingly, one of my friends seems to have acquired a quasi Cali. He bought a 204bhp DSG VW Transporter and then had it converted/blinged in Dorset.

Cost approx 60k. So it was less about money saving for him than to spec as he wanted.

Its all about the provenance, the VW has come through the 60's with flower power, the Beatles etc. The Ford may be as good, I don't know I have never owned a Transit but it just is not a Transporter. Even the layout in the Cali has a history dating back years, a tried and trusted design.

Thanks.

If I'd been less inpatient to get my hands on a Cali, I would have shopped around and got my hands on a Ford or Hyundai conversion.

Interestingly, one of my friends seems to have acquired a quasi Cali. He bought a 204bhp DSG VW Transporter and then had it converted/blinged in Dorset.

Cost approx 60k. So it was less about money saving for him than to spec as he wanted.

If it was vanworx they are very impressive conversions.

I was seriously tempted but they use RIB beds, not the rail sliding system of the Cali, and I wanted a van that could be used as a van occasionally. However a very close decision.

'.....But back to point: apart from brand name is the VW that much superior to the Ford
'

Yes

Did our first ever "family" trip in Cali with school friend of my oldest too!

A full 120 mile round trip to seaside near Worthing.

Saw many camper vans parked there with stern sign from Sussex powers that be "No motor homes allowed between 0900pm and 0800am "

Ha!

Passed a few older Calis who didn't seem to notice our red Cali as it flew along. They seemed too busy with their manual sticks.

I did notice that couple walking dog and granny noticed our parked Cali. In fact, the woman kept looking back at it. A first for our car.

I parked next to very nice lady in a new Hymer, and she graciously pointed out the nearest cafe (and more importantly toilets).

Would she have done that if I were mere Ford Transit Conversion Van Man?

If it was vanworx they are very impressive conversions.

I was seriously tempted but they use RIB beds, not the rail sliding system of the Cali, and I wanted a van that could be used as a van occasionally. However a very close decision.

And my friend comfirms it is vanworx that did his.

I have to look at it now.

Glad you had a nice trip but...

'Passed a few older Calis who didn't seem to notice our red Cali as it flew along. They seemed too busy with their manual sticks'.....

Whats that all about? 'Manual sticks'?

Strange....

Glad you had a nice trip but...

'Passed a few older Calis who didn't seem to notice our red Cali as it flew along. They seemed too busy with their manual sticks'.....

Whats that all about? 'Manual sticks'?

Strange....

Sorry dude.

I'm sure you understand but trying to be difficult. "Stick shift" is American expression for manual transmissions.

I tried to help you in advance by adding "manual" but no subset of your 86 billion or so registered.

I guess English isn't you first language? :)

Well guessed!

Swahili.

I failed every single course I took to learn English. Written of course, but spoken is much worse. Kinda obvious, as the Americans would say.

Or, as The Donald would say, it's a HUGE problem.

A field full of VW Vans is a meet, a field full of Transits is a Pikey invasion.

Funny admittedly, made me laugh.

Not very PC.

Reminds me when I pulled out of car park of famous cricket ground in my battered old Ford Mondeo. It was tad worse because my Swiss Frau had introduced the front fender of Ford to tree at Asda week before.

Persistent knock on my door. Captain of our cricket team too. Maybe to appreciate the century I made to win the match. I rolled down the window to say, "No, not joining for beers." to hear following:

"What kind of car is that? You're a man of some style otherwise."

Me, "Dude you got two things wrong. I've got no style abd nothing wrong with car."

I am aware though that I am parked around Porsches and Ferraris, and Bimmers and Mercs. The captain is very senior too, en route to board membership one day, and I'm not even MD.

But my frugal upbringing and earthy outlook...

I come home and regale story to other half and my visiting mum. Mum listens and then says very clearly and slowly

"When in Rome,..."

I say okay, okay.

She replies, "Get yourself at least a BMW!"

Shocks me. I didn't know she knew. Turns out she loved cars.

So following week get one from BMW Parklane. An E38 for those who know. Best car I've ever owned.

We have it for 10 years until friend asks to buy it. He says it is for safe keeping.

Now back to Fords. Nothing wrong about them at all. Nothing.

Owners fine too!

Back