Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW paint warranty dealer and VW customer care issues.

Mrstu2u

Mrstu2u

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Good afternoon all,

I'm looking for advice please on what might be expected form either the dealership I purchased the vehicle from or VW themselves with regards to a paint defect on the elevating roof section of my California.

The problem became apparent about a year about with bubbling underneath the paint, I discussed this with the dealership ( Marshalls Reading ) and agreed they would look at it during the first service, this is now getting on for a year ago.

After many phone calls I was informed that they couldn't help me and I needed to take the vehicle to Martins Basingstoke, who in fairness to them looked at it and agreed that it was indeed an issues however they were not an approved for repairs for the California, and really Marshalls should be dealing with it.

At this point I was really getting quite annoyed and proceeded to call VW Customer care, who have now been attempting to find somebody who is able to carry out the repairs required, this isn't going well.

From my perspective I believe I should be entitled to expect the dealership I purchased the vehicle from to honour the warranty and make all the necessary and relevant arrangements for this to happen, the reality seems to quite different and I am appalled at how I have been treated as a VW customer, if anybody has any constructive advice on how I might get this resolved or where I might be able to direct my complaint I would very much appreciate your help.

Many Thanks

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking for advice please on what might be expected form either the dealership I purchased the vehicle from or VW themselves with regards to a paint defect on the elevating roof section of my California.

The problem became apparent about a year about with bubbling underneath the paint, I discussed this with the dealership ( Marshalls Reading ) and agreed they would look at it during the first service, this is now getting on for a year ago.

After many phone calls I was informed that they couldn't help me and I needed to take the vehicle to Martins Basingstoke, who in fairness to them looked at it and agreed that it was indeed an issues however they were not an approved for repairs for the California, and really Marshalls should be dealing with it.

At this point I was really getting quite annoyed and proceeded to call VW Customer care, who have now been attempting to find somebody who is able to carry out the repairs required, this isn't going well.

From my perspective I believe I should be entitled to expect the dealership I purchased the vehicle from to honour the warranty and make all the necessary and relevant arrangements for this to happen, the reality seems to quite different and I am appalled at how I have been treated as a VW customer, if anybody has any constructive advice on how I might get this resolved or where I might be able to direct my complaint I would very much appreciate your help.

Many Thanks
Are you familiar with the roof corrosion issue that the California suffered with? If that’s what you’re suffering then VW dealers should be fully aware. Where in England are you, might be worth a call to Breeze in Poole.

Are you familiar with the roof corrosion issue that the California suffered with? If that’s what you’re suffering then VW dealers should be fully aware. Where in England are you, might be worth a call to Breeze in Poole.
Hi and thanks for the reply, I am aware of the California corrosion issue but that isn't the issue in this case, this is contamination under the paint during the painting procedure causing the paint to bubble.
I have had some progress today but the current situation is I am expected to take the vehicle for multiple appointments traveling some distance with no means transport provided whilst it's being assessed or repaired, I'm awaiting a response for VW customer care on this.

This might not be of help but I’ll say it in case it is.
I’ve got a similar problem with my Mercedes car, whole car needs a full respray rubbed down to the bare metal. No dealer locally can handle the job so it needs to be sent away. i’m dropping it at the local dealer. It’s their problem to transport it to and from the repair shop about 80 miles away. Also the same dealer has to provide transport for the time it’s away (I never mentioned the California could easily be used).

Good afternoon all,

Many Thanks
Stick with VWCV customer care.
It is a long process, but it will be rectified.
Make your own detailed notes and refer to them in emails.
Get a case number from VWCV on email.
You will have to ring once a week for updates.
Keep on top of them and it will come right in the end.

Hi,

This sounds an awful lot like zinc inclusion, which i have on my 2019 Ocean. I found one affected area, which was covered under goodwill, but have since found 2 more affected spots :(

Full thread with some details here. Stick at it, if its inside the 3y paintwork warranty i don't think they have a leg to stand on, but they will offer all sorts of nonsense theories to avoid it.

Good luck!

Hi,
After 18 months with a roof and roof bellows problem I directed to the financial ombudsman who is now dealing with matters. I think you have been patient and gone through the correct channels so either the motor ombudsman or financial
Ombudsman. Best of luck.

Back