VW free insurance

• Thread starter Robert&Catherine
  • Start date
Robert&Catherine

Robert&Catherine

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Please allow plenty of time if you are applying for the one year free insurance from VW. I started the process at 9am yesterday and 6 calls later and many hours either waiting to be connected or going through the same application I have finally got the confirmation. If you are applying make sure you have the factory order number, vin and dealer numbers to hand (I know them now by heart now). If you encounter that their computer says that the Cali is not eligible for free insurance just ask them to call the dealer. One final suggestion… if the person that answers the phone sounds like Mrs Doubtfire then either make an excuse and call back or make sure you are sat in a comfy chair and have access to food and water!!!

Think you were unlucky - it took me a while in a queue to get through initially - but I got it done in a single call - and I got the email insurance certificate the same day.

Weirdly they didn't need me to have a tracker - even though I had already had one fitted. I think it might be down to postcode and other factors. I don't mind as I figure the next year renewal will probably need one.

I think I was very unlucky…it felt like something from candid camera. Nothing a few months in therapy won’t cure! Hope you are enjoying your Cali….I am looking forward to my 6:38am train to London tomorrow to collect mine!

Are you off to EuroVans near Gatwick? If so it is basically next to the station so train is the way to go

Yes I am. My wife and I like a train journey so we are both going down…changing at Kings Cross / St Pancreas then train to Ifield. Let’s see how quickly I raid the pack up!!

Weirdly they didn't need me to have a tracker - even though I had already had one fitted. I think it might be down to postcode and other factors. I don't mind as I figure the next year renewal will probably need one.
I was told the same when taking out the insurance. I think it was due to the purchase price being under £70k

I was told the same when taking out the insurance. I think it was due to the purchase price being under £70k
My purchase price was also under £70k but l have to send them proof of tracker…I don’t think VW insurance know what the other half are doing…let’s hope none of us need to make a claim with them. Would not consider them if it wasn’t free.

They wouldn't insure me because I'm over 75. No cash alternative offers.

They wouldn't insure me because I'm over 75. No cash alternative offers.
That doesn’t seem very fair. I bet all the over 75’s that are buying a new Cali are in better shape than the average fifty somethings having a mid-life Cali crisis (I am sadly in the latter category).

One final suggestion… if the person that answers the phone sounds like Mrs Doubtfire then either make an excuse and call back or make sure you are sat in a comfy chair and have access to food and water!!!
The person you need to speak to at VW Insurance if you want everything to go smoothly and efficiently is Mitchell. :thumb

My purchase price was also under £70k but l have to send them proof of tracker…I don’t think VW insurance know what the other half are doing…let’s hope none of us need to make a claim with them. Would not consider them if it wasn’t free.
My purchase was about £66k, but I told them the list price over £76k and still no tracker - I told him I had one and he said "it is a good idea"!!!!

That doesn’t seem very fair. I bet all the over 75’s that are buying a new Cali are in better shape than the average fifty somethings having a mid-life Cali crisis (I am sadly in the latter category).
They have just insured me on a Golf GTI TCR, the last of the proper 2WD hot GTI's, 286 bhp, 0-60 5.2 secs, top speed limiter removed, top speed now quoted at 164mph.
Which is the greater insurance risk, the Cali or the Golf. Yeah OK, they didn't insure the golf for free.

Yes I am. My wife and I like a train journey so we are both going down…changing at Kings Cross / St Pancreas then train to Ifield. Let’s see how quickly I raid the pack up!!

This was my epic Journey to Ifield:

LEG 1: 1.5 Mile Walk into Buxton
LEG 2: Bus - Buxton to Macclesfield
LEG 3: Train - Macclesfield to London Euston
LEG 4: Tube - Euston to London Bridge
LEG 5: Train - London Bridge to Three Bridges
LEG 6: Train - Three Brides to Ifield
LEG 7: Cali back to Buxton

I did consider flying from Manchester to Gatwick to make it a full trains, plains and automobiles, but couldn't find a flight....

That is impressive. We are going to your area for our maiden voyage in the Cali on Saturday (Beech Croft Farm Nr Buxton)…you live in a lovely part of the world.

I did consider flying from Manchester to Gatwick to make it a full trains, plains and automobiles, but couldn't find a flight....
London Bridge goes direct to Ifield.
Take the Thameslink towards Horsham.

I collected my new 6.1 Ocean a few days ago. Cost price under £75k . VW insurance told me I had to have a tracker for the free insurance and the value of the Ocean wasn’t relevant as they require trackers on particular brands eg Range Rover. They said if I fitted one after collection I wouldn’t be covered if the van was stolen in the meantime. So I paid the dealer nearly £600 for. VW Approved one.

I collected my new 6.1 Ocean a few days ago. Cost price under £75k . VW insurance told me I had to have a tracker for the free insurance and the value of the Ocean wasn’t relevant as they require trackers on particular brands eg Range Rover. They said if I fitted one after collection I wouldn’t be covered if the van was stolen in the meantime. So I paid the dealer nearly £600 for. VW Approved one.
Yeah that is what I was expecting - I was surprised when VW insurance didn't ask for the tracker info - even when I offered it. When it comes to renewal time I will have a tracker so hopefully everyone will cover it. I figure the 1 year free insurance has paid for the tracker....

Don’t keep us in suspense, when did you start raiding the pack up ?

Last night I ate half the pork pies!! Managed to get all the way on the train this morning on just the British rail sausage sandwich.. think we will have a picnic on the way home in the van. Only 20 minutes from collecting now!
Safely tucked away in the garage after a long but very enjoyable first day. Mike Wool at Eurovans was a pleasure to work with.

IMG_3986.jpeg