Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW "Free" insurance and obligatory tracker

I

Ianvonlux2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Apparently the VW insurance included in the purchase price of my new Ocean requires that I have a tracker fitted as per quote below. I quite like the idea of a tracker as i'm planning to rent my van out for a couple of months each summer when I'm not likely to be using it.

"Regarding the 1 years FREE insurance part of the T & C’s is a Tracker needs to be fitted to qualify for the Insurance promotion, However if you decide not to take the Free Insurance I believe there are companies whom do not require a tracker fitted IE: L & V and I have been informed from other clients they are very competitive (Subject to your history) this may help you or we can offer a Scorpio Tracker Cat 5 third party fitted for £495.00 +VAT + subscription from 1-5 years premiums from £149.00 1year to a 5 year for £409.00 OR a lifetime subscription of £599.00 (all no VAT)."

Do trackers work and, does anybody know anything/have experience of these Scorpio ones? is it worth it?

Many thanks, Ian

Hi Ian,

Doesn't the Van come with a tracker already as per the "We Connect" service? I'm based in Ireland but I'm sure a new van would come with the same configuration (I just purchased a new Ocean recently too). Perhaps the "Cat 5" is the difference (not sure what it means specifically). Either way I'd be interested to know further information too. Here in Ireland I actually had a bit of difficulty insuring my new Van with Aviva being the only company to offer such insurance. Annual insurance here is about 560 yoyos with full no claims, so i'd say the offer you've been given for a lifetime subscription would be worth it unless continuing cost of We Connect is better, which I don't know.

Hopefully someone might shine further light.

Cheers,

Andrew

I could be wrong but I’m going to put it out there Anyway. From what I have seen you can track your van via the connect app but only if your the primary user. If someone was to accidentally take your van and reset the infotainment system I think and this is the bit I could be wrong bit you would have to pair the van again with the app and you have to be sitting in it to do that. I think.

To obtain the free insurance, it requires an S5 tracker to be fitted before collection. You can arrange this through a third party or through the VW dealership, which will undoubtedly be more expensive.

If you wish to get a tracker, it’s worth doing a bit of research. The Scorpion and Vodafone trackers offer similar functionality. A key difference is that Vodafone comes with two driver tags, so you and someone else can have one each. The Scorpion only has one tag, with a second driver being able to use a phone app instead. Here are links to both that are reasonably priced:

I also found this explanation of the different tracker categories quite helpful.

Back