Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW cool/warm box: any good?

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
The Beach we are thinking of buying from a dealer has a cool/warm box with it. It retails at about £250. Obviously it is just another "extra" in the van which we'd probably use, but the question is: is it any good?

Anyone have one? How cold can it get your beer? :)

Cheers
Blakey

They are good. They can get about 20oc colder than ambient...so, when it's 40oC in your van during the daytime whilst you're out doing something, it struggles. I beleive it get about 40oC hotter than ambient - never tried it though. On my last trip for two weeks in the summer, it kept at around 7-11oC.

Check at regular intervals that someone has not accidently flicked it onto heat....as it makes a great seat, this can happen.

I tend to keep the van as cool as possible (park in the shade, use the blinds/curtains, park with the rear facing the sun etc).

Keep it full, but let the air circulate around (keep the vent clear). Supplememt from ice blocks that you can then freeze again on campsites / pubs / tescos etc.

Keep some paper towels in the bottom...to soak up condensation. Keep the lid open when you're not using it.

Drink ale instead of lager....you don't need it as cold.

i use one of these for my drinks when away .in cali as are main fridge is always full of food :eek:

get the gel ice pack put your stuff in it cold will last for 5days .i have 2 ice blocks .i keep putting one in cali fridge to keep one cold .a bag of ice works well in them to http://www.coolboxesuk.com

I think it's a bit crap. It seems to be designed for a vehicle without a leisure battery so has a tendency to switch off a bit too easily. I'm not sure it's thermostatically controlled (just on cold or warm). The heat button is a liability as I cannot think of a sensible reason to have it and like Thestowe said, easy to nudge. Capacity is OK. I've yet to use mine in hot conditions but it's absolutely fine as a deal maker or if it's included as standard. But if you're buying you're better off with a serious fridge like a Waeco as per

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=8182
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8215

Back