Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California- the worlds most versatile vehicle?

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
In the last 3 months we have used our Cali for the following,

A 28 night return trip to Spain and Morocco.

2 weekends away in this country.

Numerous trips to the local tip.

Carried home 2 x 3metre kitchen worktops and 3.6metre lengths of timber, neither of which would fit in our sons T5 van due to the double passenger seat.

Carried an 8 x 4 sheet of Celotex insulation board.

Daily commute to work for 3 people.

Shopping trips.

Delivered a no longer wanted fridge to its new owner.

What other vehicle can do all this?

In the last 3 months we have used our Cali for the following,

A 28 night return trip to Spain and Morocco.

2 weekends away in this country.

Numerous trips to the local tip.

Carried home 2 x 3metre kitchen worktops and 3.6metre lengths of timber, neither of which would fit in our sons T5 van due to the double passenger seat.

Carried an 8 x 4 sheet of Celotex insulation board.

Daily commute to work for 3 people.

Shopping trips.

Delivered a no longer wanted fridge to its new owner.

What other vehicle can do all this?

I used to make wine here in Moldova. The heater kept the temp just perfect on colder nights. It turned out delicious.

image.jpg

Now that is what I call a " Versatile Vehicle ".:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Now that is what I call a " Versatile Vehicle ".:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
I feel that I must post a warning, for those who may also might make wine in their campervan: DO NOT SLEEP IN VAN WHILE WINE IS BREWING! THE FUMES CAN KILL!

It's true, every wine making season, here in Moldova, a few people die from making wine in non-vented cellars. Interestingly, in Florida, every hurricane season, during power outages, a few people die from running their generators indoors. Sad and true stories.

But yes, a helluva a vehicle!

How did you carry the 8 by 4 sheet; rear seat removed or on a roof rack? If you removed the seat, how easy was it (and to replace)?

How did you carry the 8 by 4 sheet; rear seat removed or on a roof rack? If you removed the seat, how easy was it (and to replace)?
Just put the bed down, then you have a nice flat platform. Cover with a large, clean, waterproof tarpaulin. Don't need to remove the seat unless you need the height. Not difficult to remove the seat but definitely a 2/3 person job.

8x4 sheets will just about fit inside a (2 seater) Beach. I picked up 3 sheets of Vorhingher ply to make a pod. To get them in the rear seat obviously needed to be down and even then the rear end of the sheets needed to be lifted by about a ft so that they slid down low behind the front seats. Front drivers& passenger seat also further forward than I usually have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bed in the sleeping postion, front seats forward a few clicks it then went in on the diagonal.

Thanks for all the advice. It looks as though I will have to put my load of plasterboard on a trailer. One sheet at a time, diagonally inside is not really an option. The good news is that the Cali tows brilliantly.

I was all set for importing a Beach from germany since we only have Ocean in Sweden. But now I am really considering an Ocean since the price is really good compared to germany. Nice to see even the Se/Ocean can do double duties, only limitation is the three passenger limit of the 4motion.
But I dont know if it can replace my bmw 5 series for driving to and in work as well.
I guess I need both a Beach and an Ocean :)

Back