Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Visit to Provence, recomendations?

Glyn

Glyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

Off to Provence on Monday and wondered if someone could give me some pointers. Research on the internet is second best to hearing of peoples experience in my opinion.

A few years ago we drove from San Remo in Italy right along the south coast of France and into Perpignan in Spain. Fantastic trip in a Land Rover and used an Oz-Tent which is a great piece of kit but not as great as a Cali!

This time we are looking to wander around and see Provence “inland” away from the hustle and bustle of the coast. Can anyone recommend any campsites or places to visit.

The Luberon is a must. Bonnieux, La Coste, Menerbes etc.

Great camp site in Bonnieux (le Valon).

Fab local markets, vineyards etc.

Mont Ventoux obvs. Grab a pizza in the town and drive up to the top. Sit and watch the sun set.

We stayed in Moissac (near Aups) on and off for many years - so many lovely places to explore in the region. Just search for Lac Du Verdon and check out the numerous sites and towns there.

The Luberon is a must. Bonnieux, La Coste, Menerbes etc.

Great camp site in Bonnieux (le Valon).

Fab local markets, vineyards etc.
Thanks Sidepod, I've now looked at website Luberon Villages which lists all 26! Looked at the campsite website and its exactly what we are looking for.

St Remy Market
The old fort at Les Baux-de-Provence
Pont Du Gard, Roman aqueduct www.pontdugard.fr
The Roman colosseum at Arles
Cheers Loz, fort, aqueduct and colosseum all look great. We've only got 2 weeks but hopefully will get to see them.

We stayed in Moissac (near Aups) on and off for many years - so many lovely places to explore in the region. Just search for Lac Du Verdon and check out the numerous sites and towns there.
Thanks Max, Lac Du Verdon looks really stunning so we'll have to do our best to get there. You threw me with Moissac which is a few hundred miles from Provence so assume you meant Moissac-Bellevue, again great area, thanks.

Perhaps you recall the book by Peter Mayle and subsequent TV series staring John Thaw, "A Year in Provence"?

This was based in Bonnieux which is where Peter Mayle lived. I think he then moved to Menerbes.

Perhaps you recall the book by Peter Mayle and subsequent TV series staring John Thaw, "A Year in Provence"?

This was based in Bonnieux which is where Peter Mayle lived. I think he then moved to Menerbes.
Sadly not heard of Peter Mayle or the TV series but will almost certainly get to Bonnieux as the images on the internet look like what we are looking for.

Thanks Max, Lac Du Verdon looks really stunning so we'll have to do our best to get there. You threw me with Moissac which is a few hundred miles from Provence so assume you meant Moissac-Bellevue, again great area, thanks.

Yes, sorry full name is indeed Moissac Bellevue. To be honest anywhere round there like most of the French countryside is simply beautiful.

The Gorge du Verdon is stunning, we've stayed nearby twice & did a full-day drive around the tourist route last August - really breathtaking (and a bit hairy in places).

The village of Moustiers is also beautiful with lots of places to eat from casual to high-end, or just an ice cream & a wander around. Petrol station at the bottom of the hill too.

Really nice swim spots all around Lac Esparron, esp. at Saint Croix, though it might be a bit chilly earlier in the summer. We stayed in Greoux-Les-Bains which is a lovely small spa town for a pit stop.

As above, you can't go wrong anywhere in the area, it's all beautiful countryside with lovely towns & villages. Just be prepared for it to take a while to drive anywhere as there are a lot more bends & climbs than it looks on the satnav!

We were last there in 2014, one pic to whet your appetite. :)

zwxbg3.jpg

I don't know about "whet my appetite", we once drove over the Alps from Switzerland to Italy following the Sat Nav set to shortest route. Ended up on very steep single lane track, no wall or fence at the side just a sheer drop for mile after mile. I was petrified!!! The pic shows a 2 lane road with a wall at the side before the sheer drop, I'll just be very scared!

Ooops - I'll withdraw my recommendation for the Gorge then! :eek:

No, it's fine - a lovely (and safe) road to drive that one but you don't need to use it - best view of the Gorge is from a canoe hired by the Lac below.

XX

Hmm, not sure why but for some reasons pics are not showing as they should??

Last edited:
Ooops - I'll withdraw my recommendation for the Gorge then! :eek:
I was being flippant, the view is amazing and we'll almost certainly be visiting the gorge, thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely Pont du Gard

Good campsite just before it within easy walking distance.

P1100200.JPG

Coliseum at Nimes. Unfortunately we couldnt get in when we were there a couple of months ago as there was some bull murdering going on.

P1100258.JPG

Hi All,

Off to Provence on Monday and wondered if someone could give me some pointers. Research on the internet is second best to hearing of peoples experience in my opinion.

A few years ago we drove from San Remo in Italy right along the south coast of France and into Perpignan in Spain. Fantastic trip in a Land Rover and used an Oz-Tent which is a great piece of kit but not as great as a Cali!

This time we are looking to wander around and see Provence “inland” away from the hustle and bustle of the coast. Can anyone recommend any campsites or places to visit.
Been there twice this year, March and May. Stayed at Camping Le Bregoux in Aubignan, nice quite site with a 15 min walk to town and supermarket. Gorges de le Nesque is worth a drive. Pic of Dubby McDubface pitched for the week

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 17.51.07.png

I second the recommendations for Verdon, but especially the Luberon with its very pretty hilltop villages including Gordes. The ochre hills of Rousillon are amazing
Also the city of Arles, which inspired Van Gogh. Mont Ventoux is also worth a visit.

Definitely Pont du Gard

Good campsite just before it within easy walking distance.

View attachment 22545

Coliseum at Nimes. Unfortunately we couldnt get in when we were there a couple of months ago as there was some bull murdering going on.

View attachment 22544
Hi Briwy. Which campsite are you referring to? We're over there in two weeks time and will take in the Pont Du Gard and will be looking for a great campsite. Always better if recommended by someone I find.